Next Thread
Print Thread
Y
yttihs Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
When you are talking to NPC and when Active Roll System is being triggered, sometimes you get to choose Charm Person and you automatically gets an Advantage on your roll.
But doesn't that NPC first gets a saving throw and an Advantage should only be granted if the saving throw fails?
I mean it assumes there is no saving throw for the NPC. That's over-powered, right?

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
You're right in principle, but it's not that overpowered. It costs a spell slot after all, and the Friends cantrip does the same thing, so not too unbalancing. I chuck it down to the "rule of fun". And it's not like it gives you guaranteed success on the roll either.

Y
yttihs Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Y
Backstab is kinda fulfil that role of "rule of fun" too. And it's not like a guarantee success on the roll. Spell slots can be rested easily since you are not in combat? Don't you think ?

Last edited by yttihs; 19/07/21 03:13 PM.
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by yttihs
Backstab is kinda fulfil that role of "rule of fun" too. And it's not like a guarantee success on the roll. Spell slots can be rested easily since you are not in combat? Don't you think ?

Well, considering one let you get advantage on almost any melee attack for free and the other lets you spend a spell slot to replicate the effect of a cantrip... yeah I don't feel as bad about it. smile

In tabletop D&D Charm Person is a very abusable spell, one that forces an NPC to like you and trust you as if you were lifelong friends. If you're an inventive player, this 1st level spell can be really powerful, allowing you to fast-talk the NPC into revealing secrets, making them give you money or treasure, or convince them to use their social or political influence for your personal gain, etc. So of course you want the target to get a saving throw. But you don't need to worry about this in a video game, since there is no dialogue option to demand the zhentarim give you all their treasure, at most it'll slightly improve your chances to recruit a trio of ogres, which you might've succeeded in doing regardless.

Personally, I think it's perfectly fine. You may think differently, and that's OK.

Link Copied to Clipboard