Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
So I have begun another play through of this game and I have observed certain problems. I haven't cheesed fights and just went on my adventure, I have not used my previous knowledge to exploit treasure locations to find the extra loot and purposefully break the game's balance. All do is kill enemies, be sure to loot them for any valuables and look through containers for loot and I am not exactly even trying too hard in looking every single thing I see.
The result is now I have over 5k gold, I still haven't cleared the goblin temple, the hag's bog, half of Underdark is still undiscovered and my packs are bursting at the seams with new loot to sell and supplies to make camp.

TDLR: even with casual play I have too much money, too much loot, too much supplies and too much weight management to do to play this game. The only current solution is to stop looting things in an RPG to fix my problem.

I have noted the problems below as the primary causes and I have put a solution that could fix it. Please let me know what you think!

Making money is stupid easy because we are showered by gear that can be sold for big $$$. And since each one as their weight balanced so the player cannot carry around an entire armory it makes it so tedious to manage all this gear and weight! I am almost always over encumbered.

Solution: Reduce the chances of picking up perfectly good armor and weapons off of deadbodies. Make this gear damaged, so we can justify their reduce weight and worth to balance the economy. And these broken pieces can perhaps be destroyed at a crafting station for crafting materials! I mean it makes sense right? If I find a corpse mangled by Goblins or my own crew why would I pick up a perfectly pristine armor? Weapons get chipped and bows get cracked. finding an old rusted blade is much more likely in the wilderness.

The second problem is foods and camp supplies. There is too much, and we have to carry it around all the time! This again leads to the weight problem, why am I hauling around tons of heavy meats, stacks of wine?
Why can't I leave all this stuff at the camp? This is what I have begun doing but everytime I want to go to sleep it shows my bags are empty of resources so I have to go to the Camp chest, pick up a bunch of supplies and run back to the bed and initiate the sleep. Why is this necessary?

Solution: Why not have a camp resource dump and let me just put all the resources I need there so when I go back to camp, the camp supplies are there to be used? I basically have infinite supplies and my only problem is carrying it around. So either stop showering me with all these resources or make it less abundant! And if I DO find good supplies then allow me to put it in the camp supply chest (different than loot chest) and use that as my Camp Supplies.

The Third problem is the inventory management that I have to move items around ONE BY ONE around to manage them. And since we are showered by loot this make this such a hassle. Every 3 hours I have to stop playing and go into my inventory and clean up that mess! And what is worse is that everytime I loot a scroll or a potion it totally messes up my action bar!

Solution: Add a 2 new icons on the action bar. One for potions and flasks that you can click on and open ALL the available pots in your inventory, another Icon for all the scrolls! So you click on the Scrolls icon in the action bar and just like the different Spell levels it allows you to choose which one you want to cast. And if someone uses a certain potion or scroll all the time in their encounters, then they can manually move it on their action bar for easier access! As for the Inventory management problem! Allow us to have a click and drag a box to select MULTIPLE items at the same time to move them! This will save me sooooooo much time then the one by one point click system we have now.

The Final problem is the weight management.
This is the direct result of someone playing it casual like I was in this experiment. This is the alarm system that constantly pesters you about how much loot you are showered with and you need to keep managing.
If all the problems are above are taken care of, especially the first one then this weight problem would not be as bad as it is now. To be honest when I play the game I am not worried about the fights or how much supplies I have to take a long rest and be prepared for the next encounter.
Its carrying my castle worth of armory and resource tankers just so I can pick up the latest cargo of goodies. If the game was properly balanced I would be struggling to scrounge up enough supplies for a full rest and enough cash to repair my armor or buy a few potions to survive the next fight. The weight system is there punish the player who just puts everything in their packs and forgets about them. I don't think the current way it functions is optimal, the system is punishing me for merely just playing the game normally.

Solution? See the three points above.

TDLR #2:
We get too much loot and resources, even in casual play they create inventory weight management problems.
Solution is to stop giving us so much pristine armor and weapons off dead corpses but give us damaged junk that can have 1) lower weight 2) lore logic 3) can be smelted down for crafting 4) makes gear picking up more precious.

We get so much camp supplies even in casual game play that getting a full rest is never a problem but we have to carry ALL the resources and they are HEAVY.
Solution: have a supply chest where we dump camp supplies and foods inside of so every time we find supplies we park it there and only use it when we actually initiate the rest... AT THE CAMP WHERE THE SUPPLIES SHOULD BE!

Since we loot so many goodies like potions & Scrolls they keep messing up my hot bar even when its locked.
Solution: So create two new icons for potions/flasks and scrolls like how spells currently function and when I want to use something I can just go there and grab what I need... and if I always use it I can manually put the pots/scrolls shortcut in particular that I want on the aciton bar myself.

Last edited by Eddiar; 20/07/21 03:54 PM.
veteran
veteran
I would just sell all that extra resource. You have more supplies in game than you will ever need.

Also there is a setting in the options menu that will stop auto-add to taskbar of items, scrolls, potions, etc...

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Solution: Add a 2 new icons on the action bar. One for potions and flasks that you can click on and open ALL the available pots in your inventory, another Icon for all the scrolls! So you click on the Scrolls icon in the action bar and just like the different Spell levels it allows you to choose which one you want to cast. And if someone uses a certain potion or scroll all the time in their encounters, then they can manually move it on their action bar for easier access!
This so much. As is many things in BG3, this is leftover terrible UI from DOS1&2. The workaround I use is to manually move all potions to a backpack, and then if you get another copy of one of those potions it will automatically go into that backpack. However, this is still annoying:
  • You have to manually move the potions there in the first place, which is needless tediousness.
  • This disincentives using up all the instances of any single potion, as then further copies of it won't automatically go to the bag. UI should never affect decisions about using or not using items. A good UI is one you don't have to think about much.

veteran
veteran
And what is worse is that everytime I loot a scroll or a potion it totally messes up my action bar!
This can be turned off it options. smile

Solution: Add a 2 new icons on the action bar. One for potions and flasks that you can click on and open ALL the available pots in your inventory, another Icon for all the scrolls! So you click on the Scrolls icon in the action bar and just like the different Spell levels it allows you to choose which one you want to cast.
I strongly disagree with adding anything to hotbar, without our permision. :-/
I mean, if those icons could be thrown away, never being seen again ... then w/e ... but hotbar is allready much smaller then i need, and reducing it futher sounds like wery bad idea. :-/

And if someone uses a certain potion or scroll all the time in their encounters, then they can manually move it on their action bar for easier access!
This is allready possible. O_o
I presume you mean dont change that, right? laugh

I would just like to add that it would be appreciated if spells could get the same threatment ...
In simple words: I want option to have Mage Armor LEVEL 1 specificly ... since there is litteraly no reason to waste level 2 spellslot on that anyway. :-/

As for the Inventory management problem! Allow us to have a click and drag a box to select MULTIPLE items at the same time to move them! This will save me sooooooo much time then the one by one point click system we have now.
+1
There was one more idea suggested around here few days ago ... it was option to mark items to moving in group ... simmilar to Shift+Click is marking them as Wares ... lets say for example Alt+Click could mark them as dunno, packed. laugh

Yet i would still like to have option to set at least one type of items to each companion ...
I want all scrolls to go automaticaly to Gale ... i want all equipment to go autmaticaly to Lae'zel ... i want food (note i didnt write consumables) to go automaticaly to Shadowheart ... and i want Tav to get all the rest stuff. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This is allready possible. O_o
I presume you mean dont change that, right? laugh

I would just like to add that it would be appreciated if spells could get the same threatment ...
In simple words: I want option to have Mage Armor LEVEL 1 specificly ... since there is litteraly no reason to waste level 2 spellslot on that anyway. :-/

Obviously I know thats why I said if someone wants to go back to the old way then they can.
And if you don't want it you can remove it

veteran
veteran
I dont get you ...
Remove what exactly? O_o

Eddiar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dont get you ...
Remove what exactly? O_o

The icons on the action bar....

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
You can put all your scrolls and potions into a container and put that on your hotbar instead. It would be nice if there was some kind of storage you could get (ie, scroll case) that automatically stores a specific item in there. Or, assign a type of item to a container.
I argue against the money thing, I found myself always running low on cash because I kept eyeballing snazzy magical items; sure, if you harvest the entire damned map you'll probably be rolling in cash, however I doubt most people will have the patience for that.

Easiest way to earn lots of gold is to break glowing crystals in the underdark! Its a pain to loot it but totally worth it.

veteran
veteran
The icons on the action bar....
Oh ... i didnt get that reference from quoting that part where i was talking about giving specific scrolls on hotbar. laugh

Well, actualy its not so obvious as you would say ...
Some people here were even demanding that whole UI and hotbar should be destroyed and replaced with such dedicated separated "sections" ... or w/e you wish to call that ugly nonsence they call UI in Solasta. :-/

Anyway, in that case it seems like we are in agreement. ^_^

A
A
Much less of a pain if you use a crushing weapon or Eldritch Blast. Lae'zel with a 2H hammer can smash the (ground-level) crystals in one hit.

The really annoying ones are the crystals on the stalactites, which if you don't have a Warlock you have to hit with a bow.

M
M
+1 to add multiselect items in inventory

L
stranger
stranger
L
Most of these problems would disappear if you cherrypicked what your characters would/could realistically loot and carry around instead of hoarding everything you find in every container.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by lucad83
Most of these problems would disappear if you cherrypicked what your characters would/could realistically loot and carry around instead of hoarding everything you find in every container.
This. But I'm composing some suggestions recently to work with that cherrypicking more on the game side than player side.

Link Copied to Clipboard