Graphics: Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Memory: 16 GB

but the minimum requirment is

Processor: Intel i5-4690 / AMD FX 4350
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 / AMD Radeon R9 280X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 70 GB available space

Am i even able to Start the Early Access Game?
I plan to buy Baldurs Gate 3, but i am not sure if i can even start/ play it.

So feel free to enlighten me with your experiences of such a mixed Hardware requirement.
Especially if your CPU is lower then needed in the requirements.

Last edited by TheHero; 13/10/20 12:03 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
It runs for me even with a double-core Celeron. So, I think, your CPU won't be a problem here.
Although, "runs" isn't a very appropriate word in my case. More like crawls and staggers. But it does work, still.

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you Clean Kiwi,
i bought the Early Access allready before you answered.
Couldnt wait anymore. Too hyped to wait longer.
Games running good.
Sometimes when population and many items are around the area, then i got the loading wheel from windows poppin up and games freezin' for 2 secs.
Sometimes, not so often.
I am playing on Ultra, didnt test yet if the freezes are not happening when playing on lower quality settings.

I'm running fine on a 3470 i5 with lower spec to yours.

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
After several Patches played, now in Patch 5, i can tell you this about performance:

So far DSLL is not implemented and when it is it will affect the GPU mostly and therefore a good RTX Card coupled with a slower CPU like mine (i5-4670k OC@4,3Ghz) will still be a bottleneck in areas where a lot of NPC activity is happening.
Like in the Druid Grove, Goblin Camp and of course upcoming City Baldurs Gate.

So, you guess right.
This CPU is handling the Game and can give you up to a 60 FPS in my case with RTX 2060 6GB at Highest settings and HDR ativated. But dropping down to around 30 FPS in Areas with much activity and lots of items. All else is between it.

Of course i tested out several Settings and optimizations directly for the Graficcards.
Still CPU Usage is in the 80-100%, while RTX 2060 6GB is mostly around 50-80% usage.

Conclusion for early access is to have a better CPU and for release i think the same.

Game wont be released this year in 2021 and next generation DDR5 Ram Architecture with PCI5 incoming will of course easily making 100 FPS and more in that time.
So best guess is, have a good midend PC with current 2020-2021 Hardware will be sufficient to play without so much hustle.

I hope i could give you new guys to Early Access a new angle to think bout if you want to play it or not.
I jumped into EA even after i opened this Thread here around 10 monthes ago, risking to be dissapointed. But im not. The Game runs with under minimum req. CPU, but ofc not so smoothly.
My best guess is that my CPU bottlenecking is not having Hyperthreading Technologie. So parallel computing will be a huge boon.

TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Update since Patch#6 came:

I was waiting for a long time to have finally the better performance with DLSS 2.3.1 included in BG3

In most areas i do now benefit by a +20 FPS Boost by DLSS and i am playing on HDR too (Dx11 only)

Strangely ther's problems in Cutscenes where Frames drop abysmall under 20FPS even when i'm in an Area outside of the Cutscene having 50+ FPS
Also Areas with a lot of NPCs around do trouble the performance. F.e. Druid Grove and Goblin Camp. FPS around 15-30, depending which direction the camera points.

So my best Guess is that Cutscenes are not so optimized yet and my CPU is just too slow for BG3
Seems the more NPCs are in the general Area the more calculation of NPCs daylie routines, have to be calculated by my CPU.
Several Gameengines code work like that. Its not allways the GPU which can calculate those things. NPCs are mostly CPU load.

It would be nice if somehow the heavy populated areas are more optimized in future by having no calculation for things outside of Camera perspective.
Less calcualtion for CPU maybe? Or another way of streaming data inside the gameengine beween CPU and Memory.
Something which lessens the work for CPU would be very apreciated.

I do hope this quality of life optimizations will be in EA someday before release.

But so far i enjoy playing Patch#6 with DLSS
Its promising a more streamlined optimized gameplay, performance wise.
Wont you agree?

Last edited by TheHero; 26/10/21 11:45 AM.
TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Sometime after Patch #8 and with hotfix #28:

My CPU is a i5-4670K, currently OCed to 4300Mhz

Gamesetttings all on max
Resolution 2560x1440
DLSS = On

Game is getting more demanding on Hardware as latest additons to Grafics in Cutscenes and overall in Openworld are added.

New problem with my named Hardware is now Freezes for up to 7 Seconds until the CPU is catching up.

CPU usages is around 90-100% and when it freezes its not allways shown at 100%, sometimes only around 97%.
But that could be some delay and it is truly 100%

Those freezes are more frequently with highest settings and less with lower settings. But they are frequently enough to be very annoying.
I am aware that i dont meet the Hardware requirement and the EA is not optimized yet.
Just want to know if this is primary the hardware beeing not met or if its a special Problem with current Patch#8

My best bet it is CPU related.
Mine does not support Hyperthreading so nothing is calculated in a paralel way.
More Grafics means GPU is sending more request to CPU
and CPU is now bottlenecking more then ever.
Again my best guess for those Freezes.

OR

Larian has changed software code and memory and loading of some assets etc etc etc is somehow not optimized in Patch#8, causing Freezes especiallly in lower end CPUs.

Anyone with better Hardware then mine having experienced those Freezes too?

Last edited by TheHero; 11/08/22 05:25 PM.
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by TheHero
Sometime after Patch #8 and with hotfix #28:

My CPU is a i5-4670K, currently OCed to 4300Mhz

Gamesetttings all on max
Resolution 2560x1440
DLSS = On

Game is getting more demanding on Hardware as latest additons to Grafics in Cutscenes and overall in Openworld are added.

New problem with my named Hardware is now Freezes for up to 7 Seconds until the CPU is catching up.

CPU usages is around 90-100% and when it freezes its not allways shown at 100%, sometimes only around 97%.
But that could be some delay and it is truly 100%

Those freezes are more frequently with highest settings and less with lower settings. But they are frequently enough to be very annoying.
I am aware that i dont meet the Hardware requirement and the EA is not optimized yet.
Just want to know if this is primary the hardware beeing not met or if its a special Problem with current Patch#8

My best bet it is CPU related.
Mine does not support Hyperthreading so nothing is calculated in a paralel way.
More Grafics means GPU is sending more request to CPU
and CPU is now bottlenecking more then ever.
Again my best guess for those Freezes.

OR

Larian has changed software code and memory and loading of some assets etc etc etc is somehow not optimized in Patch#8, causing Freezes especiallly in lower end CPUs.

Anyone with better Hardware then mine having experienced those Freezes too?

Better hardware does not seem to do this for me (9900kf + 3080)

But my poorest hardware ryzen 3100 + 1660ti suffers from these freezes now with patch 8

We are all heroes, you and Boo and I! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
old hand
old hand
I have i5-7500 and similar freezes on ultras (1-4 seconds) with CPU usage of 50-60%

Last edited by neprostoman; 11/08/22 11:27 PM.
TheHero Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Releaseversion Experience:

My CPU is a i5-4670K, OCed to 4100Mhz
Graphics: Nvidia RTX2060 6GB (still the same old one, since 2019)
4TB Samsung 870Evo SSD (SATA, only new addition in the last 2 years)

Highest Settings everywhere on WQHD 1440px resolution. DLSS Quality, sometimes Balanced. FPS set to reach maximum 60 FPS (can reach more but i want to save power consumption of GPU, else its around 170-190kWh).
Playing on Dirext X11.

So far in Act 1 Game runs smoother then last EA Patch 9 Version. Rarely i encounter a freeze, but they happen sometimes. Not so long freezes anymore too.
But as i cant predict how my PC performs when i reach the highly populated Area of Baldurs Gate City, i will inform you later if my PC stumbles more.

So far i have praises for the optimization to lower end PC Builds. Good Work Larian Studios.

Last edited by TheHero; 08/08/23 11:10 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard