Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
For those who have not seen yet, this latest Hotfix appears to have put another knife in the 'Barrelmancy' problem.

We are still gathering information but now if you don't meet Strength requirements - which are very high - Barrels are not even targetable for pickup or moving.

Nautaloid Tanks appear to be completely untargetable.*

Smokepowder, Firewine, oil and water require 14 strength to move.

Also with the new Strength = Carry Weight limits we are much more constrained in how many can be carried.

We are gathering information still but would love to hear if anyone has figured out the new rules.

This is a welcome change. Very odd that its not in patch notes.

*But they still explode if you throw fire at them.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 22/07/21 08:10 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Good fucking riddance.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Wooo! I'll still submit my opinion that barrels should be just a bit heavier. But this is great!

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Wooo! I'll still submit my opinion that barrels should be just a bit heavier. But this is great!

I would accept limited Barrelmancy if some of the barrels were Mimics. Random selection. If you put one in your pack it gets an automatic Grapple, surprise and Critical Hit on you!

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
This is a welcome change.
I hope its a bug and i hope it will get solved fast. :P

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
This is a welcome change.
I hope its a bug and i hope it will get solved fast. :P
You are the bug and you should be squashed.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
I would accept limited Barrelmancy if some of the barrels were Mimics. Random selection. If you put one in your pack it gets an automatic Grapple, surprise and Critical Hit on you!

I'd laugh so hard if Larian adds in barrel mimics later in the game. It'd be a nice meme for Larian.

I'm still in the camp of throwing barrels bad, throwing oil flasks good. So if we're looking for limited barrelmancy, oil flasks fit the bill.

It is unfortunate barrels cant be thrown anymore, but at least they can be pushed. Sure they are really heavy and you are limited to one or 2 barrel as fighter? But thats more fair, it was way too strong. Before patch 5 I was able to hold 6-7 barrels. Now if you want to use them you have to be smart about it. I like it better this way.

old hand
old hand
FINALLY.

addict
addict
I didn’t really use it but I think it’s a good thing if it’s been toned down so it prevents ridiculous scenarios

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarorn
I didn’t really use it but I think it’s a good thing if it’s been toned down so it prevents ridiculous scenarios
Help me understand please ...
Why do you mind it, since as you say you didnt use it? O_o

Why are you concerned about someone else's gameplay is by your standard "ridiculous" ? O_o

veteran
veteran
I joked about it a lot, but honestly since I never used it I didn't really care one way or the other. Just another gimmick on the list of Larian gimmicks that I couldn't care less about

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Barrel mimics is actually a great idea for a Larian game, I hope they add them for a hard fight where the player will instantly be tempted to make use of the barrels.

veteran
veteran

Why are you concerned about someone else's gameplay is by your standard "ridiculous" ? O_o

Because it's a potential exploit and a vulnerability in the rule system? When you have in the back of your mind the knowldge that in any moment you could come on top of any tough situation leveraging a dirty trick, its existence is annoying even with you don't use it.
Imagine to have in your arsenal a skill that once per turn is a guaranteed kill of any enemy, without rolling or anything, and the designer tells you "Well, it's super-convenient and basically a cheat and makes any other skill in the game pointless... But if you don't like it, just don't use it!".

Nah, fuck you, wannabe designer. Learn to do your job as a proper one and why that argument doesn't fly.

Last edited by Tuco; 23/07/21 10:41 AM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Imagine to have in your arsenal a skill that once per turn is a guaranteed kill of any enemy, without rolling or anything, and the designer tells you "Well, it's super-convenient and basically a cheat and makes any other skill in the game pointless... But if you don't like it, just don't use it!".
That is exactly how i imagine it ...
And i seen it as Abits said ... no strong feelings one way or another. O_o
I enjoy free will ... if you want to use it and potentialy ruin your own game, its your choice. laugh

veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Because it's a potential exploit and a vulnerability in the rule system? When you have in the back of your mind the knowldge that in any moment you could come on top of any tough situation leveraging a dirty trick, its existence is annoying even with you don't use it.

Nah, fuck you, wannabe designer. Learn to do your job as a proper one and why that argument doesn't fly.

Setting aside all that, its a problem in multiplayer. Most of my friends don't do it, or would use it as a joke. But occasionally we get a random who thinks its the most brilliant thing ever that they discovered and nobody else knows about facepalm

And so we have to have "the talk" - where they argue how "easy" it makes the fights and we tell them "yeah, that's the problem" - I didn't come here to cheese through, I want an encounter where I can use abilities, combos, and be challenged. Barrelmancy ruins all that and cheats us out of the encounter.

What are we even here to do if not that?

Last edited by Blackheifer; 23/07/21 11:47 AM.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
Barrels of Oil/Water/etc 40 Kilo / Pounds whatever
Nautiloid Tanks 25 Kilo ""

So all in all a very good decision.
You need to be a Half-Ogre 18-22 Str, to constantly lug around 2-3 Barrels
Adds more realism to the Game full of Magic. smile

veteran
veteran
Still a bit on the forgiving side for my taste (the concept is good, the barrels should weight MORE), but it's progress.

Last edited by Tuco; 23/07/21 12:34 PM.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The solution:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Credit to Freddy Lopez for the Image.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 23/07/21 12:46 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
That is exactly how i imagine it ...
And i seen it as Abits said ... no strong feelings one way or another. O_o
I enjoy free will ... if you want to use it and potentialy ruin your own game, its your choice. laugh
I agree. I don't see why I should ruin someone else's fun if I'm not forced to use it

The only problem with it which is a problem we will have to learn to live with is that dedicating time and resources to these silly gimmicks means less time to really important matters but this is Larian the only solution would be to find a new developer. Good luck with that

Last edited by Abits; 23/07/21 12:49 PM.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard