Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
T
I want the max level to stay as low as possible for this reason.

I want it to stay at around 10-12 level max so that the sequel will be more enjoyable.

I think there will almost certainly be a sequal that uses the same game engine that will take players up to epic levels 20+.

I think this because Larian have sold over 2-3 million copies already just in EA and they have recently opened up 3 new studios around the world eg malaysia, spain ect......they are gearing up for the long haul they have 7 studios now in total

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/baldurs-gate-3-developers-larian-snatch-up-a-seventh-studio

They wont kill the IP that quickly they will milk it.

Last edited by teclis23; 22/07/21 11:01 AM.
N
N
I do not think that 10-12 would be a good idea. IMHO it is possible to reach Level 5 in Act1 ..... You would be at Level 8-10 at the end of Act 2.... What's left for Act 3?

S
S
Who cares? We will use lvl20 mods.

old hand
old hand
Honestly, I am the opposite, I want 1 to 20. I prefer a game to be complete and standalone on its own merits. And a 1 - 20 game would definitely do that while also allowing it to translate the true dnd experience. That and if DM Mode gets added as post release content, then 1-20 would be practically mandatory so that people can actually dm whatever session they need to.

Theres a lot of threads raising this question and everything in relation to it (and one on the first page of this General) so there really wasn't a need for a new one,... regardless -
Levels 5,7,9,11 are huge powerspikes which can't be properly gauged through discussion here as BG3 is far from the PNP D&D as far as story goes (which campaign ever started pitting the players against a devil commander and his cambions in a mix with mindflayers aplenty) in my opinion Larian will nerf the experience yield even further for Act I come full release, what fun is there in an instant OP party? Our road to Baldurs Gate would be a breeze, highway bandits and random beast encounters would pose no problem (maybe if they buffed their health to insane amounts, but thats just tedious, not a challenging experience), let alone the encounters we will have in the city itself... if they had any form of a sequel planned it would work better in a DLC expansion than a fully fledged new story instance and even that would probably be a minor increase in the level cap, maybe like 1 to 4 levels maximum.

After reading up on the whole ordeal both in the form of peoples inputs on the forum and 5th edition ruleset I will honestly be surprised if we will be able to go over level 13 in the full release of the game, seeing as how our party of misfits would be regarded as fully fledged champions of the realm when the story wraps up. I don't see how they would justify a new start after the end of this storyline. You can't really go back to fighting random mercs and goblins when you're known throughout the lands as a hero that saved everyone from the end of the world, no? Do I have it wrong? Whats the next step - bringing down gods? Becoming a god at level 20? Its just silly. Both from gameplay and story aspect its just hard to implement truthfully.

Originally Posted by sinogy
Who cares? We will use lvl20 mods.
Also this. Someone who wants it will be able to get any level he wants, surely. Even if it breaks the game.

edit: also when they implement Multiclassing the balance of the gameplay will come into question. I don't even want to start thinking about that topic derail.

Last edited by S2PHANE; 22/07/21 12:20 PM.
veteran
veteran
10-12 would be perfect for BG3. Levels 15-20 are so powerful in D&D they deserve BG4 with an epic plot that raises the stakes to another level completely from BG3. In the spirit of BG1&2 as well.

The only way I could see the entire level range working for just one game would be that the game is absolutely massive in length and scope. Preferably with a pause in the main plotline during which you do other stuff and time passes to really underline the scope of 1-20. It's not just one adventure or even just one campaign. It's the entire lifespan of a person, as most never make it anywhere near level 20. That would also mean the story ends there for BG3 characters if there's nowhere to reasonably develop. Start over with a new level 1 party in BG4 even if the story continues, like in Dragon Age sequels.

And D&D plays and feels best around levels 5-13.

old hand
old hand
Except the plot is already "Epic" touching on enemies you would be fighting at 15-20.

Illithids, Githyanki, Dragons, Devils, and the like are not low level enemies, and in fact are an indication that we have practically started at the epic level in enemies and stakes, to where Goblins almost feel like whiplash.

veteran
veteran
Originally BG3 was supposed to cover 1-10 levels. Then it was mentioned that the level cap will be pushed higher, but we don't know how much higher.

Considering how close in many ways BG3 is to Larian's own Divinity: Original Sin series, I don't expect a direct sequel in vein of BG2. Considering how much interest the game generated a sequel is a possibility, but I would expect more in lines of a Larian sequel then direct Bioware sequel. That's how they handled Divinities, and that's how they are handling BG3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by CJMPinger
Except the plot is already "Epic" touching on enemies you would be fighting at 15-20.

Illithids, Githyanki, Dragons, Devils, and the like are not low level enemies, and in fact are an indication that we have practically started at the epic level in enemies and stakes, to where Goblins almost feel like whiplash.
Larian does like to frontload all that or show off, which I'm not a fan of, but fighting them can easily come later at 9+.

We are still actually fighting goblins and lower level enemies and none of that stuff. Except the Githyanki patrol where the dragon conveniently flies off when combat starts.

Last edited by 1varangian; 22/07/21 01:49 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by 1varangian

Larian does like to frontload all that or show off, which I'm not a fan of, but fighting them can easily come later at 9+.

We are still actually fighting goblins and lower level enemies and none of that stuff. Except the Githyanki patrol where the dragon conveniently flies off when combat starts.

I am more saying the teased opponents are things you would fight around 14 or so. Heck, some possible "opponents" are the type of thing a level 20 part y would face, for example if we ever had to fight Vlaketh who has some role to play in this plot. And if the Absolute is a god or a proper demigod of some kind (seeing as being worshiped makes you one), I wouldn't want to face them before level 20 thats for sure.
The pieces currently in play really feel like high level pieces, not the kind of level 1-10 pieces your dm would put on the board, even for teasing and front loading.

S
S
It is funny people think they will level to 20 in BG4... LoL

This is how it is gonna be: Base game will cover lvl10-13, then one or two expansions will cover the rest of the levels.

For me, I'd like to get all the way up to lvl20 in the base game but I know it is real world and business. So, mod on smile

Last edited by sinogy; 22/07/21 02:53 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by sinogy
It is funny people think they will level to 20 in BG4... LoL

This is how it is gonna be: Base game will cover lvl10-13, then one or two expansions will cover the rest of the levels.

For me, I'd like to get all the way up to lvl20 in the base game but I know it is real world and business. So, mod on smile

DLC like that isn't exactly common for larian, so I wouldn't exactly count on that. I could very well be wrong, but pointing at recent Larian titles, Divinity Original Sin and Divinity Original Sin 2, they didn't exactly do paid DLC. There was a singular paid DLC, a squirrel follower for DOS2, that was free for many anyways anyways. So weirdly enough, I don't think business applies here like it would with other companies.

journeyman
journeyman
I am not certain how Larian handles their DOS games in terms of power level and scope, but I know they have already began to think about how and where the level curve stops for BG3 and know that the rest of the levels are basically expected to come into play in some way because it has the D&D name tied to it, along with all the legacy games tied to it.

I, for one, kind of shrug if they reuse the same story here to continue it into a new DLC or if it's a side story or something totally new. I just hope they do complete the game to it's finality as expected because, I for one, have been WAITING A LONG TIME to get a proper D&D that is turn based, and it natively allows multiplayer to boot! I was never a fan of RTwP.

Last edited by Zyllos; 22/07/21 07:23 PM.
T
Banned
Banned
T
TO OP.

Here is the good news. Do not listen to people saying level 20 this game at full release.

I only know this.
In beginning they said max level 10. They said later perhaps slightly more. That indicates level range 11-13 as most likely if they do not reduce it back to 10 at full release.

That being said we do not know if this game will get an expansion or BG4.

However I agree with you I do not want this game to high level. We can be greateful that is not the case.
Regarding mods? I dont care what people do with mods. Modders can do what they want I do not care.

The official campaign at full release my best guess max level is between level 11-13.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 22/07/21 09:43 PM.
veteran
veteran

I am more saying the teased opponents are things you would fight around 14 or so. Heck, some possible "opponents" are the type of thing a level 20 part y would face, for example if we ever had to fight Vlaketh who has some role to play in this plot. And if the Absolute is a god or a proper demigod of some kind (seeing as being worshiped makes you one), I wouldn't want to face them before level 20 thats for sure.
The pieces currently in play really feel like high level pieces, not the kind of level 1-10 pieces your dm would put on the board, even for teasing and front loading.
Well yeah they do and I kind of wish Larian would have started small like BG1 did, and let the mystery unravel piece by piece. It gives more room for growth.

I guess BG3 could still be structured like BG1 & 2 and the more epic part of the story could happen in a sequel, once the more level appropriate mind flayers, and
chosen ones
, have been dealt with and we truly learn what we are dealing with.

T
Banned
Banned
T

Well yeah they do and I kind of wish Larian would have started small like BG1 did, and let the mystery unravel piece by piece. It gives more room for growth.

I guess BG3 could still be structured like BG1 & 2 and the more epic part of the story could happen in a sequel, once the more level appropriate mind flayers, and
chosen ones
, have been dealt with and we truly learn what we are dealing with.
I hear you. However I know from lore Githyanki made a pact with Dragon Goddess... Dragon Goddess sent some of the red Dragons to aid Githyanki in their war against Mindflayers. The rest of Red Dragons keep kind of neutral approach to Githyanki and a minor part from Red Dragons choose to even serve Githyanki that will ride some of the Dragons in a war against Mindflayers.
Source to lore? Here is one source:

That means from story perspective we do not need to figth some EPIC super RED Dragon.
Well and I doubt you need to near level 20 to kill some Mindflayers. Of course there could be still a Dragon fight in this game but it does not need to be so super Epic Dragon and will not require near level 20. There are also other dangers. Perhaps we will meet a powerful Demon.

There could be more to the story, but from I can gather from DnD Forgotten Realms lore and Act 1.
Max level 11-13 is my best estimate at full release.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 22/07/21 10:08 PM.
S
addict
addict
S
I agree with the OP, except that I would stress that keeping level restraint in BG3 is at least as much about being true to Baldur's Gate as it is about "milking the IP". After all, BG is about epic storytelling, the one that require proper sequels like the original series or Mass Effect.

S
S
Well I don't wanna wait for another decade to get to max level potential of my DnD toons in a CRPG.

Getting to max level in table top is massively different from getting to max level in a CRPG. That is why I am gonna mod the hell out of the game when it is released.

journeyman
journeyman
From the progress so far I think the max level will be 4 upon release

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let's see - BG 1 opens with you fleeing Candlekeep only to watch your Adoptive father insta-killed by a powerful big bad, who is clearly after you. Shortly thereafter you start running into Assassins', harpers and even Elminster.

BG 2 opens with you, your sister, and your comrades in arms captured, tortured and killed, an escape from a dungeon of nasties followed immediately by a passel of powerful mages arresting your sister.

Both suggested some fairly high level adventures in your future - though it might takes many hours of play to get there.

While BG 3 does open with Mindflayers, Demons and Dragons they are all busy fighting with each other - they have little to no interest in you, only the most tangential of involvement with you at that point, and your eventual "escape" is circumstantial at best - you have little control over the outcome of the situation. From then on, any high level content is mostly hints, omens, harbingers and future possibilities. Nothing screaming immediate, impending epic-ness is upon you.

The only real difference between the openings in BG 1/2 and BG 3 is technology has allowed for much more involved cut-scenes, rather than just a picture or two and narration to describe what brought you to this adventure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard