Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Niara
Yeaaahh....

If you read the code in the editor, you can see that Neeshka was originally PLANNED to be a romance option, and Bishop was planned to be a proper and fully fledged one too... but they ran out of time/budget and never got them done. I'm still really sad about that... more Neeshka than Bishop, but still.

I still can't quite get over Cassivir (late thirties early forties human goodly paladin) propositioning my fifteen year old, only-recently-left-home-for-the-first-time, never-done-that-before, halfling girl on the night before a dangerous battle, and trying to claim it was love... when we've only known each other a week or two at best.

Sand was probably my favourite companion after/alongside Neeshka. I'm a sucker for dry wit and clever banter. Elanee always rubbed me the wrong way, but I love that it's canon that she doesn't wear undergarments, and that Neeska checked/confirmed this.

I love that the Construct is more intelligent than several of our party members, including Qarra, who I really enjoy hating and putting in her place at every opportunity.

I'm always a bit sad when gnomes are played for nothing but laughs, but I did enjoy Grobnar. My bard stole his kazoo before I exported her after the adventure.

Grobnar and Alfira are my examples of Bard-No and Bard-Yes respectively.

Qara is alignment trope Chaotic Neutral but actually just Chaotic Evil... Bishop and Ammon Jerro.... well Mask of the Betrayer gave me the opportunities to deal with them.

Shandra is one of top gaming heartbreaks.

Sand is good. Elanee is fine, she's a bit ignorant/naive who doesn't know she's being a bit bigotted and doesn't mean to be. I have hope Elanee can be decent and she has some growth.

Cassivir is very whitebread and yeah, the romance for him is... so paint-by-numbers.

Khelgar is about my limit for quirky and he does show character growth.

The Gith cleric is a bit fun, but she comes SOO late in the game.

D
addict
addict
D
Grobnar felt like somebody was given a vague description of Jan Jansen and then told to write more of that... and then did a terrible job of it.

He did have a good line where he referred to a Khelgar as a unit of height, but aside from that it was like listening to fingernails on a chalkboard.

addict
addict
Star Wars: KOTOR, you're on a ship that's being attacked and have to fight your way to an escape pod.
Mass Effect 2:
The Normandy is destroyed, Shepard too... but oh thank Deus ex Machina as Cerberus retcons that horrible nightmare.
The Outer Worlds:
You are a being unfrozen from a long journey through space to find out your escape pod landed on your liaison.

I get the feeling Larian went with a more typical sci-fi beginning than high fantasy.

Last edited by DragonSnooz; 24/07/21 05:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by alice_ashpool
Dragon Age: Origins
Custom origins cool The Human Noble is a last day of childhood into, I can't remember any of the others.
Dragon Age: Origins - Noble Dwarf
You enjoy your day as a noble, keep geting hints that you get screwed by your stupid, but strong older brother ...
Only to get screwed by your younger, cunning brother. (I actualy kinda liked that twist in the end.)

Dragon Age: Origins - Poor Dwarf
You did your job to your best abilities ... but you get screwed by your crimminal boss anyway ...
So you kill him, and run.

Dragon Age: Origins - Dalish Elf
You pay the price for either your, or your companion curiocity ...
Depends on your choices.

Dragon Age: Origins - City Elf
Human noble deciced to do whatever he want with your people ...
Its revenge time.

Dragon Age: Origins - Mage
Your friend becomes acused from using the forbidden magic ...
You help him, only to find out that he IS uing the forbidden magic.
Then you get recruited.

Personaly i love how DA:O started ...
Those starting stories seem to me even much more interesting than rest of the game. frown
The only odd thing here, is that Duncan allways traveled just there where your character is, and all the other travels are cancelled. :-/

Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Mass Effect 2 is definitely that. Mass Effect 2 is:

You were dead, now you're not, also, the ship is under attack.
I like this description. laugh

Mass Effect 1 would be:
You are soldier, here is your mission, this collony is under attack.

And Mass Effect 3 is:
You were concidered terorist, now you are not, also the Planet (or as it soon come out, the galaxy) is under attack. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

You start the game wounded by some unknown means, and dragged into the city square during a massive festival by several guards seeking a healer for you. You are only temporarily healed, but you do get to briefly participate in the festival before the city is suddenly attacked by a massive horde of demons. A fissure forms and you end up falling into it. You awaken to find yourself in a network of underground caves, and need to fight your way back to the surface along with a few other survivors and beings that call the caves home.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

You start the game wounded by some unknown means, and dragged into the city square during a massive festival by several guards seeking a healer for you. You are only temporarily healed, but you do get to briefly participate in the festival before the city is suddenly attacked by a massive horde of demons. A fissure forms and you end up falling into it. You awaken to find yourself in a network of underground caves, and need to fight your way back to the surface along with a few other survivors and beings that call the caves home.

Thanks for the reminder. This is defiantly at the bombastic end from the small amount of gameplay footage i have seen, what with the
silver dragon getting her head cut off by a big fiend of some sort

It looks like the closest to BG3's tone afaik.

Last edited by alice_ashpool; 24/07/21 09:01 AM.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Tyranny - a regular day in the job as a fatebinder goes wrong when your boss gives you an impossible deadline on your current project. Now you have 8 days to deal with the rebel scum, all the while trying to get 2 separate and feuding departments

Pillars of Eternity - A casual pit stop by a caravan goes wrong when everyone else gets slaughtered while you went for a strode. A magical wind then hits, which leads to you taking shelter in a temple where you run into a bunch of cultists doing some sort of magical experiment. As a consequence of being too close, your party is killed while you are given super powers.

Pillars of Eternity 2 - Your castle from the 1st game is destroyed and you get stepped on by a giant foot of a resurrected god. You are brought back to life by another god to deal with this aforementioned rampaging god. You wake up, resurrected, only to have your ship attacked and beached by a scumbag pirate named Ben.

Fallout - after the initial cutscene intro, you are immediately placed into the world outside of Vault 13, and are free to roam the world to to progress your main mission

Fallout 2 - you begin the game completing a final rite of passage, a final test prior to accepting your mission in the outside world that will let you save your vault.

Fallout 3 - you are given your protagonist's life story (literally), and then dad goes out for a pack of cigarettes and doesn't come back. Your vault isn't happy about his choice to leave and decides you should be the one punished, forcing you to leave the vault into the outside world in search of father.

Fallout New Vegas - a regular day in the job as a delivery person goes wrong, and you take a bullet in the head thanks to a scumbag named Ben. You are rescued by a robot who brings you to the village of Good Springs. The village will soon be under attack by a local gang, and you have the choice to help either side, or beeline towards Vegas to hunt down Ben.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer - you awaken in a place that you must escape from, with an affliction that seems impossible to get rid of, but will ultimately kill you in time. In the meantime, it does grants tremendous power, and drawing on this it causes you to manifest tentacles and eldritch imagery. The true source of this affliction is unknown, but there is strong hints that it is a results of the machinations of Myrkul, one of the Dead Three. Your first companion is a female belonging to an organization with a reputation of being morally dubious in the Forgotten Realms. Oh, you are also in possession of a powerful Gith artefact which may be the key to solving this whole plot.

Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Run goes bad, survive until you figure out what's what.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Your step-father asked for help, and now you're wanted by the police in a foreign country.

I absolutely loved these two intros, especially Dragonfall with the heist gone wrong. They do such a good job introducing the tone, the world, the cast, and the motivation behind the story.

Last edited by Topgoon; 25/07/21 03:52 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Well, in BG3 you awaken in a ship enroute to slaver base, just when it is about to fall to pieces, and with a control instrument jammed into your head, so the intro premise is basically just repeating the intro of DOS2 in a different fantasy setting.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
Star Wars: KOTOR, you're on a ship that's being attacked and have to fight your way to an escape pod.
Mass Effect 2:
The Normandy is destroyed, Shepard too... but oh thank Deus ex Machina as Cerberus retcons that horrible nightmare.
The Outer Worlds:
You are a being unfrozen from a long journey through space to find out your escape pod landed on your liaison.

I get the feeling Larian went with a more typical sci-fi beginning than high fantasy.

Sci-fi and Dragon Age, i'd say. Origins has a pretty chill start, but both 2 and Inquisition throw you into the action from the get-go. I only mention this because this game feels DA inspired to me, and specifically a blend of Origins and Inquisition.

Last edited by Innateagle; 25/07/21 05:52 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I have to admit that out of all the intros mentioned, I like the IWD one the most. I find it so charming how refreshingly simple and down-to-earth it is, not to mention very D&D-like. It begins with a little tale of the region (relevant to the main plot of the game), and then you start out in the tavern of a small rustic settlement located at the northern edge of Faerun, with a very frigid yet cosy winter environment. It's also kind of liberating in that it doesn't force a specific backstory upon you; you can imagine your character to be whatever from where-ever. Someone who just happens to have arrived in town at the same moment it's troubles emerge. This sort of beginning also helps make Icewind Dale a very replayable game imo.

Other than that the Dragon Age Origins ones are my favourite, because it offers you so many different and colourful intros determined by the origin background you pick.

Last edited by deserk; 26/07/21 12:04 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard