Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#783068 25/07/21 06:14 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
There are several features that I expected to exist by now that still are not, or are implemented in a way that doesn't make sense.

Ready an action: Sometimes I'm not in a position to do something on my turn, but I would prefer if my turn wasn't a complete waste. So you ready an action. Only need three options here, even though there are technically more. Melee Attack, Ranged Attack, Cast a Spell (Choose the specific spell). If anyone comes into range it triggers like a reaction and you just do it.

Defensive Stance: Another thing you're supposed to be able to do when you don't have anything else to do is take a defensive stance which just makes all attacks on you at disadvantage.

Help Action: I know there is an icon for this, but the only thing it seems to do is a medicine check to stop someone from dying of death saves. It has no apparent effect in combat, which is one of the things it's specifically for. The Help Action has one purpose, give the person you're helping Advantage on the next thing they do. Coupled with this, Familiars and Animal Companions are broken. The point of an familiar isn't a questionable status effect with a couple hp, it's to make the help action so you can get advantage on attacks, or to provide that to another party member, like Asturion so he can actually sneak attack.

Sneak Attack: First off, why is this a special action? It shouldn't be. It's supposed to just be something that happens, once per turn, when the stars align. The stars align when you have advantage, OR when attacking someone who is engaged in combat with at least one other person. If you miss with the first hit, and have an off hand weapon and hit with that one it is still a sneak attack. This doesn't seem to happen at all.

Reactions: I really hate how this is setup, it makes no sense. If I have a reaction, then let me choose to take it, don't just make it a toggle. There are any number of times that a reaction is something I would choose to not do every time, but only at specific times. Hellish Rebuke is one. Currently you have to burn a spell slot BEFORE you might use it, on the chance it will be used, so that it ends up in your Reaction toggle bar. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Last edited by Kal Spiro; 26/07/21 12:42 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I totally agree, defensive stance is something very basic and simple to implement, I don't know what's missing.

S
S
+1 for option 1 & 2

Sneak attack from DOS was quite efficient and less random than the current one with patch 5

Dans le doute, frappe ...
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Agree with all of this, dunno why they've made sneak attack into some weird special action you have to take. As much as I love the progress Larian is making, it seems all too apparent that they either didn't actually want to make a proper D&D 5E game, or just weren't up to the task of it by the time EA rolled around. Lots of very basic D&D rules missing or implemented weirdly, didn't really help that Solasta came into EA around the same time and was much more consistent and true to the 5E rules.

Hopefully, Larian listens and implements things properly soon which they certainly seem to be working on at least, which is certainly a positive thing, just weird that they left some things out and then what they did put in was just flat out done wrong.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Defensive stance is not in the core rules - Dodge is. Nothing outside of the core rules has been implemented.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Originally Posted by RBarbare
Defensive stance is not in the core rules - Dodge is. Nothing outside of the core rules has been implemented.
Pretty sure they meant dodge as they described the dodge action, but yeah defensive stance is something else.

veteran
veteran
Agree with OP.

The ready and dodge action are really necessary. There had plenty of combats in which would have to use one of these two options.

About sneak attack I'm not often playing a rogue but it looksy wierd that it's a specific button. It would be better if it was automatic.

Reactions... Everything have already been said. They have to do something. A toggle is fine for a stance or something "passive"... Not for active features.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/08/21 11:03 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus

Link Copied to Clipboard