Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
What Larian thinks about translations, game master and future content?

I researched it, but I didn't find anything very clear about Larian's position in this, besides, I think it's good to discuss it here on the forum, it's a way to position ourselves. so I will leave my considerations on each of the themes.

1st About translation, I would only like subtitles, because a lot of people don't speak English, for example, I can understand the story and the characters, but a lot goes unnoticed because I'm not fluent.

2nd In my opinion, the game master is essential, it's a way to make the game time "infinite", I don't like the idea of ​​having to keep buying games frequently and getting sick of them quickly, even because a master game in BG3 would let the game exponentially more robust in content, practically infinite indeed.

3rd What about future content? DLCs, classes, archetypes and new items? be it from official books, homebrews or maybe even created in the game master if possible.

I love this game and I'm afraid something will limit or condemn it. I want to look back one day and have played 10,000 hours of this wonderful game.

Last edited by linkezio; 25/07/21 07:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
1 > As far as i know, Swen was once back in the past talking about subtitles only ...
Bcs dubbing is extremely expencive.

2 > I have no info about this, but people keep demanding it for quite some time.

3 > As far as i know, Swen told us few months in the past, that curently there are no plans for any DLC ... since they are fully focusing on creating the game.

Hope it helps

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
1 > As far as i know, Swen was once back in the past talking about subtitles only ...

1> Dubbing would be awesome, but it's a shame that my country doesn't value games like BG3 very much, and here the game costs less than 40 dollars. But translated subtitles is enough.

2 > I have no info about this, but people keep demanding it for quite some time.

2> For me, the game master is the best possible content for this game.

3 > As far as i know, Swen told us few months in the past, that curently there are no plans for any DLC ... since they are fully focusing on creating the game.

3> Okay, but I prefer to focus on faster-to-do content like gear and classes.

veteran
veteran
Focusing on the DLC question, I believe that they don't have any concrete plans for it yet, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least some degree of internal consideration. Even just as simple as "hmm, this could work as DLC eventually." I imagine that a bunch of people have informal ideas in their head that will be brought up in a couple of years when they're in a position to consider that sort of thing. And I would imagine that including new classess and subclasses from outside the PHB would make for good early DLC.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by linkezio
1> Dubbing would be awesome, but it's a shame that my country doesn't value games like BG3 very much, and here the game costs less than 40 dollars. But translated subtitles is enough.
Yeah tell me about it ...
I live in small country in central europe, wich have so stupid language its no simmilar to any "world wide" one. laugh

We usualy get only amateur subtitles, and usualy around 2-5 years after release. laugh

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Focusing on the DLC question, I believe that they don't have any concrete plans for it yet, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't at least some degree of internal consideration. Even just as simple as "hmm, this could work as DLC eventually." I imagine that a bunch of people have informal ideas in their head that will be brought up in a couple of years when they're in a position to consider that sort of thing. And I would imagine that including new classess and subclasses from outside the PHB would make for good early DLC.
Well, they may concider this ...
But so far i believe it would all depend on how people will rate BG-3 on release date ... and mostly if Wizards of the Coast will smell enough profit in such approach. laugh

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yeah tell me about it ...
I live in small country in central europe, wich have so stupid language its no simmilar to any "world wide" one. laugh

We usualy get only amateur subtitles, and usualy around 2-5 years after release. laugh

My language (Portuguese) is the 5th or 6th most spoken in the world, but most speakers are from here (Brazil), and our economy is very bad, so only big companies like Capcom care to dub into Portuguese. , have already released dubbed games for Portuguese, such as resident evil 7 and 8.

But we are not able to give a lot of money to the gaming market like developed countries, so smaller companies like Larian don't feel motivated to invest here, which makes me very sad.

Baldur's Gate 3 costs less than 40 dollars here (we pay less than 2/3 of the normal amount), but our average salary is 436 dollars (in another post I said it was less, but I got confused). Also, RPG is not a very prominent genre here, although we have a lot of fans, just that the general population likes FPS games more. To get you an idea, none of my friends have a Playstation 5 or Xbox Series, and only me and another friend have a PC gamer. Playing here is something for the elite, it's luxury and it's expensive.

However, there is Portugal in Europe, but not many people, so they do not represent a good part of the market, so Brazil becomes more profitable even with all the problems, the dubs in Portuguese have our accent even.

Curiosity: Brazil is the country with the 3rd largest number of players, but it is the 13th that generates the most money for this market.

By the way, I got to know your country through an anime called "Monster", I highly recommend it and it was very interesting to know the city of Prague.

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Well, they may concider this ...
But so far i believe it would all depend on how people will rate BG-3 on release date ... and mostly if Wizards of the Coast will smell enough profit in such approach. laugh

From the people who tested this game here, ALL loved it, very much.

So I believe it will be a success, the problem is the marketing reach. Despite the absolute success in delighting people who know the game, the problem is that the number of people who don't know it is very large.

Last edited by linkezio; 26/07/21 11:36 PM.
veteran
veteran
Baldur's Gate 3 costs less than 40 dollars here (we pay less than 2/3 of the normal amount)
This is actualy very interesting information. >:]

By the way, I got to know your country through an anime called "Monster", I highly recommend it and it was very interesting to know the city of Prague.
Never heared about it ...
Im not much into anime, i mean i certainly dont have anything against it and i even like some ... usualy the most famous (Hellsing, Naruto, One punch Man, Noir, X-1999, Elfen lied, Pokémon :D, etc.)
But that is all. laugh

So I believe it will be a success, the problem is the marketing reach. Despite the absolute success in delighting people who know the game, the problem is that the number of people who don't know it is very large.
That is not exactly what i was talking about ...
Concider that Swen himself admited that if gods of dices will smile on they, they MAYBE will release this game next year (probably by the end of it) ... so i would dare to say that is quite okey to presume 2023 release ...

I would never say that Larian have limited funds (at least not right now) but there are some fiskal expectations, and even if people love the game more and more, investors can easily get the idea that to make another content may not be as profitable as they expect ... if development will keep prolonging, and therefore to make this game will become more and more expencive.
I hope im clear right now ... i just say that by allowing pre-purchase and Early Acess, i believe that most pieces of this game was allready sold, and there will not be another boom with full release ... from financial aspect.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Baldur's Gate 3 costs less than 40 dollars here (we pay less than 2/3 of the normal amount)
This is actualy very interesting information. >:]

I'm going to sleep with nightmares that Larian will increase the price here after foreigners start creating Brazilian accounts. T_T

Never heared about it ...
Im not much into anime, i mean i certainly dont have anything against it and i even like some ... usualy the most famous (Hellsing, Naruto, One punch Man, Noir, X-1999, Elfen lied, Pokémon :D, etc.)
But that is all. laugh

So here's the recommendation, Monster is my top 3 best anime I've ever watched. By the way, here is my MAL: https://myanimelist.net/profile/linkezio

That is not exactly what i was talking about ...
Concider that Swen himself admited that if gods of dices will smile on they, they MAYBE will release this game next year (probably by the end of it) ... so i would dare to say that is quite okey to presume 2023 release ...

I would never say that Larian have limited funds (at least not right now) but there are some fiskal expectations, and even if people love the game more and more, investors can easily get the idea that to make another content may not be as profitable as they expect ... if development will keep prolonging, and therefore to make this game will become more and more expencive.
I hope im clear right now ... i just say that by allowing pre-purchase and Early Acess, i believe that most pieces of this game was allready sold, and there will not be another boom with full release ... from financial aspect.

It's a shame, because at least here where I live, this game was little publicized... we had a few influential people testing it.

Link Copied to Clipboard