Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#783636 28/07/21 04:54 AM
Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
BG1&2 had the weapon slots that could be filled with various weapons and selected on demand. Surely there is a way to implement such a quick access in BG3? Such selection could still have an action associated with it (as does equipping weapons in patch 5), the point is to make it less fiddly, every time we want to change weapon sets.

veteran
veteran
BG3 has those 2 slots you can freely juggle between. I guess you can put weapons in your hotbar for fast access already? From a UI perspective that's a good use for a hotbar if they cost an action compared to the equipment slots.

I like it in BG1&2 how you can't put a 2-handed ranged weapon in those quick weapon slots if you have a shield equipped. Shields are even more powerful in 5e starting at +2 AC so it would a great balancing factor giving 2-handed weapon users and dual wielders more versatility with faster access to bows and crossbows.

Taking off or equipping a shield in 5e takes an action so it would also be compliant with the rules. This would also eliminate the cheese of always having a shield up on enemy turn even though you attacked with bow or a 2 hander. Win-win for game mechanics and balance.

Last edited by 1varangian; 28/07/21 12:34 PM.
Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for that comment, I just tried the hotbar method and it works, but unfortunately not for the off hand.
Example: My druid is carrying a club and a shield. I put a quarterstaff in the hotbar, click the hotbar and voila, the quarterstaff is equipped. BUT, now the hotbar only shows the icon of the club, but not the shield, so when I want to quick-change to the club shield combo, I can equip the club through the hotbar, but I have to open the inventory to equip the shield. The same happens when I drag the shield explicitly to the hotbar, the next time I equip the staff, the shield is not in the hotbar. Same applies to a secondary weapon in the off hand.

journeyman
journeyman
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think there is a setting in the gameplay options menu that can fix that issue. There are several 'auto-add ___' and 'auto-remove ___' from hotbar options that you can toggle on or off and I'm quite certain there is one for equippable items. EG, auto-add potions to hotbar and auto-remove spells are both turned on by default. If you turn the appropriate option to not auto-remove items from your hotbar, your shield should stay in the hotbar c:

If I have somehow imagined this feature, I think it would be a good one for Larian to implement.

Randal Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Indeed, that would make sense, but unfortunately an option for auto-add/auto-remove weapons is missing entirely - unless weapons are included in one of the categories (I am including a screenshot of the menu). But even if they are, there is only an option for auto-remove spells (and quite frankly I don't think it works properly either, since spells disappear from the hotbar when changed anyway).

I would suggest adding a separate hotbar for weapons, just like the category were we can toggle opportunity attacks. This would make it more structured and we would have a clear distinction between weapons and spells/consumables, etc.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Randal; 29/07/21 01:09 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Randal
Thank you for that comment, I just tried the hotbar method and it works, but unfortunately not for the off hand.
Yeah, I remember that being a problem in D:OS2. Larian loves their hotbar for some reason (maybe fond WoW memories?)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Randal
Example: My druid is carrying a club and a shield. I put a quarterstaff in the hotbar, click the hotbar and voila, the quarterstaff is equipped. BUT, now the hotbar only shows the icon of the club, but not the shield, so when I want to quick-change to the club shield combo, I can equip the club through the hotbar, but I have to open the inventory to equip the shield. The same happens when I drag the shield explicitly to the hotbar, the next time I equip the staff, the shield is not in the hotbar. Same applies to a secondary weapon in the off hand.
They should take a look at the NWN hotbar that lets you put two weapons or weapon+shield in a hotbar slot.

The auto add -functions don't really work. Getting all the loot there is really messy.

Last edited by 1varangian; 29/07/21 01:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
I suggested third weapon slot some time ago (meele, ranged and variant i would say) ...
I would like to see it as something that could add some depth to our character.

It would be great in my opinion if fighting focused characters (Fithers, Paladins, Monks, etc.) could use it for another set of meele weapons ... to be equipped both with 2H and 1H and Shield, or with Sword and Mace in case enemy will have any resistances ... after all, look how Fighter is shown in PHB:

As i look at this picture, it seem to me like Fighter (or Fighting focused classes to be more general) ... should be more like "prepared for all as much as possible" than "pick one, and hope it will be the one you need". laugh
[Linked Image from media-waterdeep.cursecdn.com]

But i would also like to allow other classes to equip there things that would be fitting to them ...
Instruments for Bard, another crossbow (if Loading will be properly implemented) for Ranger, torch for Wizard that dont have darkwision (or dont want to spend spellslot for that) ...

Reactions back then was mostly positive ... but it seems like Larian didnt like the idea so much. frown

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 29/07/21 03:36 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Yep, not sure why we can swap freely between melee and range but you can't swap between two different types of melee sets.

veteran
veteran
Now when you metioned it ...
That is another think i would certainly like to see ... our character should totally be aware of having Meele weapon equipped, and when there is enemy running around, while our character is curently holding a "ranged weapon" instead, i would certainly like them to switch automaticaly and provoke AoO ... at least with disadvantage, or some hit penalty for swaping weapons ...

But the fact that you need to change your weapons after every single turn (wich becomes anoying really fast), otherwise enemies can use you as climbing frame and you have no defense against it seems just stupid. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown

Link Copied to Clipboard