Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Piff
Many Monks are Ascetics, despite what form it takes, they seek a higher spiritual state through discipline or self-denial (and some also practice self-mortification). If the name gets changed, that is what I'd change it to.

Ascetic DOES work quite well and is more focused on what they are than Mystic (which IS a bit too magic leaning, hence my early dislike of it)

All the monks are based around self-discipline (self-denial and self-mortification are more optional elements) and that works well.

When you said Ascetic the only other term I thought of that would be similar was "Devotee"

Some people would note that Drunken Master is a bit off, but they're still about self-perfection and they don't actually get powered by drinking (thank god).

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Cityracer
Edit: Also, Tonfa would be a great Monk weapon.

On the subject of Monk weapons... it would be nice to have alternate weapon designs in general.

Mechanically, Tonfa is a Club... and I've seen nunchaku variously suggested (in PHB and DMG) as either a flail or club. That said, this is sort of a later thing since I'd rather them spend time on getting the major elements of the game working.

U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
Originally Posted by Thrythlind
Originally Posted by urktheturtle
I am a big advocate for the monk class being renamed "pugilist" or something, but dont worry its not like a european monk, or anything like that... even in flavor, and its not that much like an eastern monk either (just a bit).

Monk is just a name.

The problem is pugilist is another title that's a bit to narrow in it's implications. It's basically the same problem as monk, just moved to a different place on the venn diagram.

We need a name that is broader.

The more I think, the more "Mystic" doesn't seem so terrible. Not really a caster, but someone that does weird supernatural stuff, and even base monk has a lot of that.

I dont want baseline monk punch-class to have any mystical abilities at all in any way shape or form, those can be saved for subclasses.

old hand
old hand
Monk is 5e already has Ki Points which fuels its abilities. Though arguably for monk RAW is the best way to go.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard