Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RutgerF
I'm sucker for Island accents. Probably why I enjoyed KOAR so much, gnomes there had absolutely adorable voices.

The bandit guy who guards the door at the ruins, with his excellent broad (of course, it's very clean and refined, much easier to understand than the actual broad, otherwise 99% of players would have great difficulty with his lines, I suspect).
Gale's VA is absolutely on par with his role. Astarion... it feels as if the actor is overplaying it a lot. Maybe they should have found someone with a better RP, as this one reeks of fakery.
Auntie - spot on, 100%.

I like Auntie Ethel as I always thought that her voice acting was great, I also like the Narrator and Minthara's voices. I didn't really care for Lazeral's <sp?> or Astarion's voice. I thought that Astarion's was too melodramatic and flamboyant that I can't stand listening to him it just grates on my nerves.

veteran
veteran
Astarion doesn't even sound like an actual person. He sounds almost like someone who's parroting his gay friend in mockery.

Incidentally I've seen interviews with his voice actor and his natural voice/timbre is entirely different and sounds far more pleasant.

Last edited by Tuco; 30/07/21 10:08 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Banned
Banned
I wonder why, then, he went/they had him go with that same timbre/intonation for Heisenberg in RE8. Never felt less intimidated in a horror game. The voice didn't fit the character at all.

But anyway, while the companions are all pretty cool, the one that struck me the most is Lae'zel. She sounds legitimately different from a human, which is the same reason why i like the goblins.

Last edited by Innateagle; 30/07/21 10:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Astarion doesn't even sound like an actual person. He sounds almost like someone who's parroting his gay friend in mockery.

Incidentally I've seen interviews with his voice actor and his natural voice/timbre is entirely different and sounds far more pleasant.

I totally agree, Astarions voice is awful (and the character too). He does sound totally fake.

Another voice actor , I like, is Zevlors. He does a good job.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Innateagle
But anyway, while the companions are all pretty cool, the one that struck me the most is Lae'zel. She sounds legitimately different from a human, which is the same reason why i like the goblins.
It might be post-processing. There are VST plugins, Dehumanizer for example, that allow to introduce distortions into the recorded voice, to make it sound "inhuman".

Not sure if they used it for Lae'zel; the voice isn't very far off. So, yes, it might be the actress.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I love Gale, Ethel, and Karlach voice acting. Asterion is a bit cartoon villain for my tastes.

I also adore the goblin priestess so much! Her voice and visual design is so perfect --- always make me smile. "She loves you, I can tell" --- gets me every time!

I also like the mercenary leader -- the one who says "We was running for our lives". Great VA.

Oh -- and Volo. He nails it.

Last edited by timebean; 31/07/21 06:05 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Spider in the Goblin lair.

A
addict
addict
A
From the companions Karlach is my favourite. There was a datamined video on yt where you can hear her singing, it was lovely. Astarion is second, even though I don't like his character.

Npcs: auntie Ethel and Shovel. That sheer evil glee in the quasit's voice when it talks. laugh

apprentice
apprentice
Gale, and quite recently, Wyll. I love his line delivery. I also believe both these characters have the best facial animations which brings even more life to their voices

I don't really like Astarions, but then, i'm over the "pompous flamboyant elf" trope. It's overdone at this point even in Elder Scrolls.

Last edited by Vallis; 05/08/21 06:58 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vallis
Gale, and quite recently, Wyll. I love his line delivery. I also believe both these characters have the best facial animations which brings even more life to their voices

I don't really like Astarions, but then, i'm over the "pompous flamboyant elf" trope. It's overdone at this point even in Elder Scrolls.

And the broody vampire trope too.

I agree, I do like Wylls voice actor. He isn't my favorite character, but the va does a very decent job.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure about Wyll, he has some good scenes, especially when his heroic facade cracks a little; but he's supposed to be a noble, and they gave him a not so posh accent, then again the nobility in BG are basically up-jumped pirates and mercs, or maybe it's something he shifted into during his time on the frontier, it it's supposed to add to his dual persona, cool, otherwise dodgy.

I'm not sure how much of his act is self-conscious or genuine which is a good place to be at the start, but if it's the game that doesn't know then we'll see.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sozz
I'm not sure about Wyll, he has some good scenes, especially when his heroic facade cracks a little; but he's supposed to be a noble, and they gave him a not so posh accent, then again the nobility in BG are basically up-jumped pirates and mercs, or maybe it's something he shifted into during his time on the frontier, it it's supposed to add to his dual persona, cool, otherwise dodgy.

I'm not sure how much of his act is self-conscious or genuine which is a good place to be at the start, but if it's the game that doesn't know then we'll see.

Well, Wyll is certainly a different guy now than the spoiled brat he says he was before, so it's no reason why he would still talk like a pompous spoiled noble lol

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
And of course Astarion's voice is a standout for me among the companions.

Yup, I agree, Neil Newbon does an amazing job. Volo and Auntie Ethel are spot-on too.

But the real test of this game's VA awesomeness is going to be
Minsc.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Vallis

And the broody vampire trope too.

I agree, I do like Wylls voice actor. He isn't my favorite character, but the va does a very decent job.

It's not even just that, it's that all his lines usually are delivered in the very same way. The others convey different emotions very well. Gale, Wyll, Shadowheart. You feel it when they're angry, disapointed, sad. Hell Gale has one of the best line deliveries in the game after he gets upset that you sided with goblins. They all nail everything, and Astarion he never not sounds exactly the same. Almost like his character is constantly trying to be a parody, and can't get away from the usual shtick even when he tries. Even when he's supposed to be sad I just can't take the scene seriously lmao.

Last edited by Vallis; 05/08/21 11:48 PM.
veteran
veteran
For the companions, definitely Lae'zel!

For the VA extras, I really enjoyed Nymessa's "leave it for the goblins to kill."

Pretty good one liner, I thought it was better than Daymas' "yellow as a toad" opener there. I found myself not wanting to kill them just to see if they had anything else to add later on.

I think everyone voice acting opposite Lae'zel had to up their game in the sound booth to match her chops haha. But that was a good one that came very early on, so it resonated.

Sazza was also great for the temp followers

Last edited by Black_Elk; 06/08/21 12:59 AM.
For me is Alfira. I could listen to her the whole day, and would love to travel with her and talk more. The second would be Astarion, his VA is just having so much fun with the character. And then Shadowheart, she is a great VA, she really knows how to make me want to slap her in one scene and cuddle her in another.
I personally think all the VAs are great so far, but these are my favorites.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Alexandrite
The Narrator has an incredible voice, I absolutely love listening to her.
And of course Astarion's voice is a standout for me among the companions.
it's Amelia Tyler, Malady in DS 2. She can't come back to work with Larian again for no reason.
And of course, Neil Newbon, people's favourite. Elijah Kamski/Gavin Reed in Detroit: Become Human, Nikolai Zinoviev/Nemesis in RS 3, Karl Heisenberg in RE 8, all come from his wonderful performance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard