Next Thread
Print Thread
U
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
U
A simple suggestion...

If you roll on advantage or disadvantage and get double 20s, give the player inspiration...

old hand
old hand
Hmm, any particular reason why? Not for or against, just curious.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
I mean, they could, but it's not like we are exactly starving for inspiration points already...

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
I'd rather that they allow Inspiration in combat. Then, players could spend Inspiration when they need it the most, to avoid dying and/or kill a particularly challenging enemy. That would make earning all the Inspiration points more valuable.

Why?

veteran
veteran
Remove height advantage and allow Inspiration to be used in combat, player's choice. Adds to strategy. Is your character dying? Failed Death save twice, failed the 3rd? Nope, use inspiration and try again.

Think about it. When is Inspiration most important? Battle. Not dialogue. In real life, you inspire people before battle to help boost their focus and morale. So when should Inspiration be used most in this game? Combat.

Besides, with background rewards now, we get inspiration more often. So it would make the most sense.

old hand
old hand
At least give us an option to use it in combat. But it is a little off topic.

Last edited by CJMPinger; 31/07/21 11:11 PM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I wonder what should that inspiration point represent ...

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
Well. I was thinking IF they allowed use in combat, then allowing the OPs suggestion would be good. Then, you'd get rewarded for a super awesome roll. Otherwise, it isn't really necessary with our current 4 Inspiration limit.

Last edited by GM4Him; 01/08/21 08:09 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
really, you are starving for inspiration...
I suggest taking the right Characters with the right high skills for the checks you need to do.
My characters rarely have less then 2 Inspiration points left. mostly i never need them.
I play weighted Dice.
I need to check next playthrough with original Dices functionality before they implemented weighted one.
Maybe then i will lose more inspiration.

BUT then again, are we all afraid of consequences?
Use Inspiration in the most important choices you really want to have in your way.
All other failed checks can make your game more interessting, fun and whatever else...

Last edited by TheHero; 01/08/21 08:39 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Remove height advantage and allow Inspiration to be used in combat, player's choice. Adds to strategy. Is your character dying? Failed Death save twice, failed the 3rd? Nope, use inspiration and try again.

Think about it. When is Inspiration most important? Battle. Not dialogue. In real life, you inspire people before battle to help boost their focus and morale. So when should Inspiration be used most in this game? Combat.
You said it yourself, Inspiration is used in dialog BEFORE BATTLE before everyone charges into the enemy line.
Its not used in Battle, only when you cry out loud to rally behind your King or Banner. Or a warcry from a Fighter / Barbarian, but then thats called Buff.

Last edited by TheHero; 01/08/21 08:44 AM.
veteran
veteran
Inspiration
Inspiration is a rule the game master can use to reward you for playing your character in a way that’s true to his or her personality traits, ideal, bond, and flaw. By using inspiration, you can draw on your personality trait of compassion for the downtrodden to give you an edge in negotiating with the Beggar Prince. Or inspiration can let you call on your bond to the defense of your home village to push past the effect of a spell that has been laid on you.

Gaining Inspiration
Your GM can choose to give you inspiration for a variety of reasons. Typically, GMs award it when you play out your personality traits, give in to the drawbacks presented by a flaw or bond, and otherwise portray your character in a compelling way. Your GM will tell you how you can earn inspiration in the game.

You either have inspiration or you don’t—you can’t stockpile multiple “inspirations” for later use.

Using Inspiration
If you have inspiration, you can expend it when you make an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. Spending your inspiration gives you advantage on that roll.

Additionally, if you have inspiration, you can reward another player for good roleplaying, clever thinking, or simply doing something exciting in the game. When another player character does something that really contributes to the story in a fun and interesting way, you can give up your inspiration to give that character inspiration.

veteran
veteran
So, GM determines how you earn. If the GM says rolling 2 Natural 20s should be inspiring, Inspiration rewarded.

Also, you can use it when making an attack roll, save, or ability check.

Last edited by GM4Him; 01/08/21 08:52 AM.
U
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
U
So to answer all these questions... because its cool

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Then, you'd get rewarded for a super awesome roll.
That is the point ...
Right now, you are rewarded if you act acordingly to your characters ideals and preferences.

Then you would be rewarded for what exactly? laugh
What even rolls represent ... "your thief was inspired by the extraordinary quality of his own lockpicking skills" ? laugh

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Then, you'd get rewarded for a super awesome roll.
That is the point ...
Right now, you are rewarded if you act acordingly to your characters ideals and preferences.

What even rolls represent ... "your thief was inspired by the extraordinary quality of his own lockpicking skills" ? laugh

As a long time DM, there is nothing players love more than getting rewards for even the littlest things. I've had more than a few players say things like, "I rolled a Natural 20 on my skill check. What do I get for that?" This in more games than just D&D. In old school Star Wars, it was Force Points. In Lord of the Rings RPG it was Courage. Call it what you want, players like getting special points for good roleplaying AND really good dice rolls.

And there is no better use for these things than combat. So, I agree with the OP but only of they allow Inspiration to be used in combat so we get more opportunities to use it than skill checks. Again, take away height as an advantage and allow inspiration in combat. Then, 4 Inspiration will almost seem like not enough, BUT that allows Larian more flexibility to reward players more with Inspiration which provides a more rewarding gameplay.

Last edited by GM4Him; 01/08/21 10:24 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by urktheturtle
So to answer all these questions... because its cool [and fun]
+1

Also +1 to allowing inspiration use in combat.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
"Damn, I am GOOD"

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Call it what you want
I would love to ... but that is the problem, i have no idea how to call it. laugh

Guard: What are you doing here?
Hero: Im ... uh ... ehm ... suppose to be here, prehaps?
*Dice roll, Dif. 1, roll: 20*
Guard: Whatever dude, dont care anyway.
Hero: *Now im so inspired by that masterpiece story i just made* laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/08/21 09:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard