Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Hi. I think the patrol needs to be tune down a bit due to it being level 5 at the moment. Maybe if we can hit level 5 in e.a., could give different feedback but as of now, the patrol is too strong. I manage to beat it using my Lump horn and even that, all 3 of the ogres died in that encounter, being owned by the patrol. Thank you.

veteran
veteran
I dare to believe that is their point ...
Larian wanted to see if players are able to deal with small parties of lower levels but good positioning (mostly Blighted Village) ... big groups of average enemies (imo Gnoll encounter) ... average groups of average enemies with reinforcements (hooked horrors, drow/spectator, Duergars, potentialy Hag) ... Big ass monsters (minotaurs, Bulette) ... and higher level average group (Gith patrol).

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
I agree with you but the problem on the fight was the enemy (each) was 1-3 shooting dead the party members. I am ok with higher HP but the the damage output was too high. Please note that if you have Lazael in the party, it is already at an disadvantage imo since she ran off to the patrol. I think it should be tune down a bit but that's my opinion. Again, this might be totally fine if we manage to hit level 5 and get better equipment in release but at the moment, it require tuning down.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dare to believe that is their point ...
Larian wanted to see if players are able to deal with small parties of lower levels but good positioning (mostly Blighted Village) ... big groups of average enemies (imo Gnoll encounter) ... average groups of average enemies with reinforcements (hooked horrors, drow/spectator, Duergars, potentialy Hag) ... Big ass monsters (minotaurs, Bulette) ... and higher level average group (Gith patrol).
Pretty sure level 5 player race characters don't have at least 61 health, usually around 90-something. And multi-attacks. Even if the player's party was level 6 or 7, I can see this group of level 5s mauling them quite handily. The idea of a 'mirror match' where it's a group as strong as you is a fun idea, this just feels incredibly cheaty to the point it's actually boring; it's not about a 'good fight' anymore.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
We had a(nother) discussion about this recently.
Frankly I don't think the strength of the patrol is the issue with this encounter.

The real issue is that the players are INSISTENLY directed to reach for it as soon as possible, when it could turn out to be a deadly trap for them.
It's especially aggravating because once the event is triggered and Lae'Zel leaves your party to rush ahead and speak with them, there's no backing off without losing her permanently.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
It's especially aggravating because once the event is triggered and Lae'Zel leaves your party to rush ahead and speak with them, there's no backing off without losing her permanently.
You mean they can leave? O_o (They probably killed her right? Since in last patch notes it was specificly told that Gith will search her corpse)
I allways thought that the game will simply repeat two sentences over and over, until you decide to come there and talk to them. laugh

I must try to let her die sometimes ... and then ressurect her with a scroll.
(Please share outcome, if you tryed allready)

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 02/08/21 11:43 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
You mean they can leave? O_o (They probably killed her right? Since in last patch notes it was specificly told that Gith will search her corpse)
I allways thought that the game will simply repeat two sentences over and over, until you decide to come there and talk to them. laugh

I must try to let her die sometimes ... and then ressurect her with a scroll.
(Please share outcome, if you tryed allready)
I didn't try it myself, but there is a video on youtube and... she dies permanently.

H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
pls don't make this already easy game even easier^^

Challenge is part of the fun. Githyanki encounter is hard, sure, but it's much more satisfying to win if you had to try 10 time instead of winning right aways.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
veteran
veteran
This encounter is designed like most encounters and those creatures like other creatures.

They can deal too much damages and have too much powerfull features. It's usually ok in the game except for encounters supposed to be "hard".

Looks like Larian only create hard encounter by giving the AI tools to nuke the player (minotaurs, bulette, gnolls, githyanki,...)

Last edited by Maximuuus; 02/08/21 02:05 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by Hachina

Challenge is part of the fun. Githyanki encounter is hard, sure, but it's much more satisfying to win if you had to try 10 time instead of winning right aways.

Maybe the game is easy for you, but that doesn't make the game easy. I'm someone who's pretty good at crpgs and find this combat extremely difficult. Speaking of which, your statement of what's satisfying also is not universal. I tried this combat early on before it got buffed and it was beyond me. I haven't attempted the combat since. Furthermore, if I have to try any combat ten times, by the end (assuming I haven't given up entirely, which is the more likely option frankly) I'm not going to be satisfied. I'm going to be annoyed and just glad the fight is out of the way. I don't want combat challenges to be too easy, but I also play these games to experience the story first and foremost, so after a point, all a difficult combat challenge becomes to me is a roadblock to the part of the game I care the most about.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong for liking challenge or finding extreme difficulty fun, I just want you to be aware that what you find fun about these games isn't what everyone else finds fun.

So far, the more we complained how difficult this fight was... It been countered with even more difficulty. So please, keep complaining about it smile This fight isn't meant to be done at level 4, if we look at the big picture... There's a lot more content ahead and even harder fights waiting along. So if its too hard now, avoid this content and skip to other events available at our current level. Again, this fight is not meant to be done at level 4. There's plenty of exp in act 1 to reach AT LEAST level 5, if not 6. They will not make it any easier, in fact they will keep polishing it making it as challenging as they can.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kryldost
So far, the more we complained how difficult this fight was... It been countered with even more difficulty. So please, keep complaining about it smile This fight isn't meant to be done at level 4, if we look at the big picture... There's a lot more content ahead and even harder fights waiting along. So if its too hard now, avoid this content and skip to other events available at our current level. Again, this fight is not meant to be done at level 4. There's plenty of exp in act 1 to reach AT LEAST level 5, if not 6. They will not make it any easier, in fact they will keep polishing it making it as challenging as they can.

I couldn't agree with you more if I find a fight that I can't beat I just leave it alone and try it as my party and I get higher levels.

veteran
veteran
I think the Gith patrol is supposed to be equivalent to the Duergar squad in the Underdark, both covering exits to Moonrise Towers (and the end of the Act) So making it an easier fight doesn't seem like the way to go. In my experience(I went there pretty directly my first patch 5 replay), It's difficult to reach before level 3, which makes it a hard fight but not impossible

Last edited by Sozz; 02/08/21 03:38 PM.
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Originally Posted by Hachina

Maybe the game is easy for you, but that doesn't make the game easy. I'm someone who's pretty good at crpgs and find this combat extremely difficult. Speaking of which, your statement of what's satisfying also is not universal. I tried this combat early on before it got buffed and it was beyond me. I haven't attempted the combat since. Furthermore, if I have to try any combat ten times, by the end (assuming I haven't given up entirely, which is the more likely option frankly) I'm not going to be satisfied. I'm going to be annoyed and just glad the fight is out of the way. I don't want combat challenges to be too easy, but I also play these games to experience the story first and foremost, so after a point, all a difficult combat challenge becomes to me is a roadblock to the part of the game I care the most about.

I'm not suggesting you're wrong for liking challenge or finding extreme difficulty fun, I just want you to be aware that what you find fun about these games isn't what everyone else finds fun.

I'm aware, Gray Ghost. I respect everyone sense of fun, of course ! I'm slightly afraid, though, that the game will end up too easy, like many games todays which have a toned down experience. Its not fun for me to win while barely trying every fight. I think a good compromise would be to do an easy mode for people not wanting to spend too much time on combat, a normal mode which is reasonably challenging and a hardmode which is very challenging. But even in normal mode, I'd like boss fight to make me try a few times, at least 2 or 3 times, because else its not a boss fight. In my opinion, hard encounter should force you to make the most of your party and abilities, and to play smartly. Not necessarily be decided by the roll of a dice (this is terrible) but more like, you need to use the right kind of spell, focus the right target, position well. What do you think about that?

Last edited by Hachina; 02/08/21 09:28 PM.

If it's what it's takes to save the world, then the world doesn't deserves to be saved - Geralt
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Sozz
I think the Gith patrol is supposed to be equivalent to the Duergar squad in the Underdark, both covering exits to Moonrise Towers (and the end of the Act) So making it an easier fight doesn't seem like the way to go. In my experience(I went there pretty directly my first patch 5 replay), It's difficult to reach before level 3, which makes it a hard fight but not impossible
The problem is the duegar one (probably) has favourable terrain for the players, and the enemy health and damage are spread out over more npcs so you can 'chip down' the incoming damage. You can't with the Githyanki fight. I'm pretty sure a level 5 fighter doesn't get multiattack and have nintey-six health. One character in this group has more health than the player's party, and one can nearly oneshot a character. I'm fairly sure they even have more than one action, because I'm pretty sure I saw a character multiattack and then attack a second character.
The encounter has too much health and too much damage to be handled without extreme minmax cheesing (and possibly lucky dicerolls) right now.

Last edited by Some_Twerp753; 02/08/21 05:21 PM.
addict
addict
The real issue is that the players are INSISTENLY directed to reach for it as soon as possible, when it could turn out to be a deadly trap for them.
I think it's an encounter the player is intended to lose. And, I agree Lae'Zel is trying to lead the party to their deaths.

Insisting she knows of a 'cure'. I'd like the dialogue more if it was shown to be more of a backfire for Lae'zel. Her reaction to the adversity of the moment is underwhelming.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Some tips for the fight (some will consider this cheesing, but it's simply making use of the tools the game provides).

- Position the party on the bridge above the patrol, do not position them all in the same place as some of the gith will throw bombs at the player.

- Destroy the ladders leading up to the bridge with a bomb / caustic bomb / anything with aoe fire damage.

- Take advantage of spells that give advantage on the targets (true strike / guiding bolt / etc)

- Use potions. By this point you should have a bunch of potions of speed and poison. This is a good occasion to use wyvern poison, but make sure you have advantage on your attacks before using it, as this will maximize the damage it causes.

- If you have a rogue, consider using hide to activate sneak attack and gain advantage. You can also do this with other classes at the moment, but 1) this costs one bonus action where thieves have two, and 2) I don't like that other characters can do this and i DO consider it a cheese mechanic for other characters at the moment (rogue should be able to do this with cunning action nevertheless, so it's fine for rogues).

- cast spells that give disadvantage to the attacker or bonus AC to the defender before the fight (mirror image, etc).

- 2 of the gith have misty step and will use it to reach you. If they do, either have a high-STR character shove them off the bridge, or use gale's "Thunderwave" spell to shove them off. That should remove a SIGNIFICANT chunk of their hp (can do 40-50 damage in one fall).

- for easy damage with Gale, consider making a detour via the underdark first to get the sapphire spark and absolutely wreck everything with magic missiles. I usually don't do this and it works fine. https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Sapphire+Spark

I understand why the fight can be considered "too" difficult, but I do like it because it does allow (and, in fact, encourage) the player to use the full set of combat features available to them. I do believe it will be made much easier when lvl5 is unlocked later, since melee players will have access to a second action. With the tactics above and if you're lucky, you should be able to 3-man the fight even with lae'zel dead. Of course, if you want to maximize your chances further, don't bring Lae'zel and instead bring someone else to the fight.

EDIT - once we have difficulty options in the game it will also be made easier. The game currently does not have difficulty levels and I think this is a great way of satisfying every playstyle without compromising on features or fight mechanics.

Last edited by sheffie01; 02/08/21 07:14 PM.
veteran
veteran
inb4 "i had no problems with them at level 2".

The problem is because they're in the game right now, people have the idea that it's a fight you're supposed to win. Yes, you can win, and yes, lots of leet people are beating them easily, but the majority of players will not have a good time.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 02/08/21 07:49 PM.
veteran
veteran
We might be running into the issue where the DM is giving us a look at the main bads, expecting us to be frightened away by their terrifying display, but of course the natural reaction for any player is "how do I solve this puzzle". and yes, explosives are involved. i.e. why the dragon fucks off before we can capitalize on the DMs blunder

Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Originally Posted by Sozz
The problem is the duegar one (probably) has favourable terrain for the players, and the enemy health and damage are spread out over more npcs so you can 'chip down' the incoming damage. You can't with the Githyanki fight. I'm pretty sure a level 5 fighter doesn't get multiattack and have nintey-six health. One character in this group has more health than the player's party, and one can nearly oneshot a character. I'm fairly sure they even have more than one action, because I'm pretty sure I saw a character multiattack and then attack a second character.
The encounter has too much health and too much damage to be handled without extreme minmax cheesing (and possibly lucky dicerolls) right now.
The problem is the duegar one (probably) has favourable terrain for the players...
I think most people are in the kill-zone for the Duergar fight at start barring a deception/perception check. I don't think I've won that fight flat-footed before.

If it comes down to lucky rolls it's not good, but if it comes down to going in with some prep and utilizing the terrain (like the bridge) then maybe not. I agree with you about the health though. I have been nearly wiped round one before (again level 3) but I didn't set up properly.

M
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
M
Hi, like I mentioned, I can still win this but based on the flow of the game, the encounter difficulty seems out of tune compared to the rest. Also Lazael running off to them doesn't help. Like I said, summoning my ogres make the encounter easy since they becomes my damage soakers.

Based on other 'bosses' encounters, due to multiple enemy, it definitely the hardest for me (in this patch). Spider boss example, even though stronger, being 1 shot by him is fine if you totally manage the party well enough since you can manage the "rezzing" . If compared to hag, also same deal, even though she does have multiple illusions, those illusions are 1 hit kill. Just imagine if those illusions were not, it will be very difficult. Other "bosses" encounters have no issues as well.

Again, based solely on just flow of the game and fight, it seems out of tune.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard