Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Me and many guys from the Minthara fan club are very upset that Larian decided to completely change Minthara s appearance. Please return everything as it was before patch 5. Thanks.

[Linked Image from b.radikal.ru]
[Linked Image from d.radikal.ru]
[Linked Image from static1.srcdn.com]
[Linked Image from pcinvasion.com]

VS
[Linked Image from a.radikal.ru]

It reminded me of a clown doll:
[Linked Image from dolls-puppets.com]

[Linked Image from a.radikal.ru]

The first version is much better. If the second version is released into the game, there will be much fewer Minthar fans. crazy

I think some of the game designers read the feedback about her hairstyle (I personally liked the previous version, but I remember there was a small discussion). And in the end game designers decided to change not only her hairstyle, but everything in general. We did not ask you for this.

Or perhaps Larian wanted to make her even more evil in appearance... but is it necessary?
Perhaps you were embarrassed by the talk about the arch of redemption, and you decided to adjust its cute appearance for a more demonic one?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
stranger
stranger
I don't know, I missed patch 4 but she kind of looked like a dude before.

I like the new mintara, also her armor is very tight. I witnessed things I am not very interested in ahahhahaha

Last edited by Kryldost; 05/08/21 09:04 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Araanidim
I don't know, I missed patch 4 but she kind of looked like a dude before.
Really? I have exactly this impression now. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
apprentice
apprentice
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, disgusting.
Fun fact: I once read a RPG story that featured Drow females doing what they do in Drow society, meaning backstabbing, scheming etc.

And in that story more often they beat down each other naturally.
One of the favourite methods to shame another Drow female was to cut off her hair.

Highlighting that this Drow female has been "dominated" by one superior.
And dominance is what Drow culture is all about after all.
" A weakling or traitor does not have the right for long hair. "
" You can first glance identify an inferior Drow female for being unable to protect her hair. "

And now this happens! grin

Last edited by KeinSklave; 05/08/21 07:57 PM.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] <- *click*
veteran
veteran
Honestly, every time I see Minthara, both before and after, all I can think of is David Bowie.

Minthara before:

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

Minthara after:

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]

Last edited by GM4Him; 05/08/21 12:10 PM.
veteran
veteran
Terrible thread title, but I did prefer her previous look with the purple armor and the rat's nest do over the pixie cut.

One of the things they changed with the most recent patch was to make eyelash color match the hair color choice. Not just for Minthara but for custom PCs as well.

This was a terrible choice, since it makes the eyelashes just look like a bad eyeliner application depending on the hair color you choose.

Whiteout for mascara is fine for D&D fashion week, but in that case they should make eyelashes a separate field in the appearance tab the way the eyeshadow is handled, since now I can't stand looking at any character with white hair, because of what it does to the eyes. I'm sure it was meant to add another layer of detail/realism to the face models, but it ends up just looking poorly rendered now.

S
S
I donno man, I didn't even like her previous look either. She looks too modest to be a drow in either version given the fact that drow society is highly hedonistic and abusive in DnD universe.

Yes... I felt used and dirty after my interaction with her. Never again frown Maybe :V NOT THAT IT IS AN INTEREST! Just.. In another game I'll have to go through this again after release.

veteran
veteran
I dunno what strikes me harder ...
The fact that someone concidered Minthara to look like David Bowie ... or the fact that he is right. laugh

Originally Posted by Black_Elk
One of the things they changed with the most recent patch was to make eyelash color match the hair color choice. Not just for Minthara but for custom PCs as well.
I didnt even notice that was changed ...
I mean i did notice that my drow had while eyelashes ofcourse, but didnt remembered it was different before. laugh

But i actualy kinda like it, it makes sence to me. O_o
So honestly i hope this stays at least as option.

This was a terrible choice, since it makes the eyelashes just look like a bad eyeliner application depending on the hair color you choose.

Whiteout for mascara is fine for D&D fashion week, but in that case they should make eyelashes a separate field in the appearance tab the way the eyeshadow is handled, since now I can't stand looking at any character with white hair, because of what it does to the eyes. I'm sure it was meant to add another layer of detail/realism to the face models, but it ends up just looking poorly rendered now.

Um... actually you can still choose black eyelashes in the hair options with white and many other colored hairs. It's in your character creation "appearance" options.

addict
addict
+1

She was no Viconia, but now she looks horrible and her voice doesn't match.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Aazo

Um... actually you can still choose black eyelashes in the hair options with white and many other colored hairs. It's in your character creation "appearance" options.

I wasn't able to see any appearance option that governed this consistently. With the "All colors" tab selected most colors will still show dark lashes. For the lighter shades there are some pairings of similar colors one of which affects the lashes and brows, and the other which doesn't. If you deselect the "All" to show only natural colors there are only a couple light grays that do it. I guess it's the look they must want her to have, but I think she looked better before for the reasons above.

All the whites still blow out the hair though and give those artifacts. The lashes look the same for the all the color choices that affect them, they break up at the edges except for when viewed in the super zoom. I think its mainly the opacity. They need to knock it back and soften it up, so the hairs are more transparent. That would help to prevent the scatter effect when its being animated and the hairs are bouncing around. Right now its like you can see it pixelating by individual strands. Particularly stark when the hair is white shown against a darker eyeshadow or skin tone or set against a dark backdrop or feature of the environment. The environmental lighting also doesn't seem to carry as well when bouncing off the hair. The chroma seems to change more than the value in dim light for example, which is a little wonky. Its only really noticeable like this because its otherwise rendered out pretty well and the modelling in this game is pretty gorgeous, so it stands out more by comparison I guess.

I think the purple worked better for a couple reasons, but mainly because we perceive color relative to the other colors around it. Since we see her usually indoors during most cutscenes and in orange lighting from flames, the purple made a nice complementary contrast. You can see it in the screens a few posts above. Instead of appearing cool against a warm backdrop, now she looks warm against a warm one, because of all the oranges and reds carrying through. It makes her eyes more red as well. Its subtle but I noticed for sure. Orange and Green lighting is classic horror, and I think her purple gear worked nicely against it. The trim on her new gear makes it look more like a button up shirt than armor. I think they should hit the drawing board again.

The main reason she looks better in the cutscene screenshots above, as opposed the convo shots above, is because she is being backlit there in the cinematics, which obviously makes her look more ominous and badass hehe. To see the difference you'd need the same shots side by side. She's not as bad as the convo pics above would suggest, but the changes still stand out pretty markedly. It was kind of a curious choice.

If they really want her to look more badass, they should dress her in black. Black threads, Indigo/Purple skin and White hair with a tiny flash of red from the belt jewel and her eyes. That is a pretty classic villainous look and color combo. Really hard to top I'd think. Unless they want to go Black with hints of Green, which is witch-queen classic, that might also be cool. But I kind liked the purple they had initially, much more than the red-orange-purple at any rate. They basically inverted the main color-values of her outfit. Now the areas that used to appear light seem more muted, and everything comes across in the midrange, instead of setting up a nice contrast. You can see it in how the collar and trim look now relative to each other, and how the rings and decorative metallic parts of her shirt now look flattened out and more like a cloth pattern. Especially the detailing on the arms. The first read was much more dramatic.

Not to over scrutinize MInthara's looks, I'm sure if they took away Halsin's guns or locks they'd probably get a similar response haha. I think she has a memorable face and voice and makes for a solid B villain. She's more Shar-Teel than Viconia. I was kinda surprised when she ended up being a Cleric and not just some skull cracker haha. It's more the ancillary elements in her design that they could play up though I think. I liked the raggedy sleeps-where-the-goblins-sleep vibe of her first haircut, but I think they could go next level with it. If she was dressed in all black in the opening scene when the Nautiloid is crashing, I think it would make her seem like a more serious threat and general point of interest. Cause you'd know immediately she was all darkside cutthroat murderess for sure in that case. Give her a sword, and it's like done deal!

She should be a companion down the line.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 06/08/21 05:43 AM.
S
S
It is like cancer that game developers think putting masculine properties on a female character makes her unique or they just want to project their political stance and cover it in disguise of "unique" design choise.

Originally Posted by sinogy
I donno man, I didn't even like her previous look either. She looks too modest to be a drow in either version given the fact that drow society is highly hedonistic and abusive in DnD universe.

That made a lot of more sense though.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It is like cancer that game developers think putting masculine properties on a female character makes her unique or they just want to project their political stance and cover it in disguise of "unique" design choise.

As a female with very short hair - it is not a "masculine property", thanks very much!!!

journeyman
journeyman
Why do men think that there's some sort of sinister agenda or political undertone to making a female character who isn't a walking stereotype... They're just trying something new lmfao

veteran
veteran
Ok. So I know I said she looked like David Bowie and all, but I actually thought her new look was an improvement and fit her voice better. In some of the darker moments, she's really much creepier to me and more Drow looking.

But, I'm not opposed to them trying yet another look or reverting.

veteran
veteran
Honestly i dont like her hair ...
But i believe i would not mind it at all ...

But it seems to me like her face was also recreated, and it isnt better now. :-/
Is that just make up or some minor change, or complete redesign? I dunno ... but before i really find her pretty, now i dont.

S
S
Originally Posted by Alexandrite

As a female with very short hair - it is not a "masculine property", thanks very much!!!

Thankfully you are not a game character.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard