Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46
addict
addict
Seems like nowadays only fantasy characters that can be be easily <cosplayed> are designed and inserted into games. So you have that general everyone looks the same + - some makeup/pointy hears/accessories. I guess this has a broader appeal?? Especially since most people are more interested in SEX/ROMANCES than anything else. Easier to identify oneself with characters that look similar to us. aka, easy to mastxxxxxx too smile Sex sells better than pure fantasy.
Again big YEY for Pathfinder: WoTr for including quite unique fantasy playable companions and portraits :))
My personal opinion: in your inventory screen NOTHING, not even top of the line 3D rendered CGI, tops a kick ass fantasy art portrait! Having both options would of been so great for BG3...adds 1000%+ atmosphere and RP.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 05/08/21 08:33 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
Seems like nowadays only fantasy characters that can be be easily <cosplayed> are designed and inserted into games. So you have that general everyone looks the same + - some makeup/pointy hears/accessories. I guess this has a broader appeal?? Especially since most people are more interested in SEX/ROMANCES than anything else. Easier to identify oneself with characters that look similar to us. aka, easy to mastxxxxxx too smile Sex sells better than pure fantasy.
Again big YEY for Pathfinder: WoTr for including quite unique fantasy playable companions and portraits :))
My personal opinion: in your inventory screen NOTHING, not even top of the line 3D rendered CGI, tops a kick ass fantasy art portrait! Having both options would of been so great for BG3...adds 1000%+ atmosphere and RP.

Man oh man...Gale looks like the most normal character thus far.

T
Banned
Banned
T
I don't think BG3 so far from what I have seen is high age rating. There exist already one mod that makes Shadow hearth slightly more attractive, but it is a minor thing. In Skyrim I used a mod that is lets say eh will not say, but you can guess a major thing. I agree Gale looks awful for being an Elf. It would make more sense he would be human race. I am not interested in Gale looks however I guess some women find him handsome. You do not need to remove Gale but if they would change his race to human that would make sense. By the way CELEBRITY on YouTube AsmonGold reminds slightly in looks of Gale. I am not his super fan (I have nothing against him and I like a minority of his youtube videos) and not romantically interested in men though I find his youtube videos interesting when he plays rarely Dungeon Dragons pen and paper or talk about upcoming HYPED big budget super MMO Ashes of Creation full release far in future like BG3 or later then BG3 full release.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 05/08/21 10:19 AM.
veteran
veteran
Ehm... Gale ist a human. So there ist no 'if they would make him human'. He is as human as it gets.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by fylimar
Ehm... Gale ist a human. So there ist no 'if they would make him human'. He is as human as it gets.
I have not had many EA runs with Gale. I did not notice he was Elf. However other people on forums have told me Gale is Elf. It seems we can not agree on this. He has his beard and freaking much hair perhaps his pointy ears are hidden. Must I start EA again sigh. Seems we can trust noone except our self. Hahaa conspiracy theory Larian changed Gale race with a patch from Elf or HalfElf to Human. Fylimar I believe you. Perhaps some troll told me Gale is not human on forums. What then stop complaining about Gale looks. We have all or favorites and dislikes. Someone said he dislikes Lazael. I like Lazael. I do not like the Vampire thief. I am very happy Thief is nerfed in Patch 5. You need now high strength to push enemies and no longer does backstabbing give advantage. Excellent Thief is not some S tier class in DnD 5th edition.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 05/08/21 02:47 PM.
old hand
old hand

Imagine so, presuming it would be easier to setup the models/bones and such and cut down time making the game if all the races are shaped the same.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Now I remember. Gale is human.

It is the DRUID that can can help in fights vs Goblins the NPC Druid that is in Goblin place. He looks like the worst ELF I have seen! He has lots of beard with broad face and very muscular like a bodybuilder and wide shoulders and he is an ELF! That is outrageous!

Last edited by Terminator2020; 05/08/21 03:25 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Halsin has no beard. He is tall and beefy, yes, but no beard whatsoever. I love him, though, and so do many other people. I doubt they will change his design, he is incredibly popular with the fan base.

Edit: You guys mentioned Tolkien as the ultimate authority on elves. His elves did have beards sometimes. Círdan the Shipwright had a beard at the end of the Third Age. But, according to Forgotten Realms lore, elves have no facial or body hair.

Last edited by spacehamster95; 05/08/21 04:00 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Terminator2020
Now I remember. Gale is human.

It is the DRUID that can can help in fights vs Goblins the NPC Druid that is in Goblin place. He looks like the worst ELF I have seen! He has lots of beard with broad face and very muscular like a bodybuilder and wide shoulders and he is an ELF! That is outrageous!
Mentioned this earlier, he would be considered a wild elf in FR lore. They are more fit than wood elves, its legit.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
Edit: You guys mentioned Tolkien as the ultimate authority on elves. His elves did have beards sometimes. Círdan the Shipwright had a beard at the end of the Third Age. But, according to Forgotten Realms lore, elves have no facial or body hair.

That's a trait universal to D&D's elves in general (Forgotten Realms and otherwise).

When a big fuss is made over "elves" with facial hair, they turn out to be Half-Elves. Tanis of Dragonlance is a famous example ->

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from dragonlancereadingorder.com]

^ Note the slightly pronounced eyes.

old hand
old hand
I wonder if Arilyn Moonblade would be considered a full Elf by modern standards grin.

[Linked Image from 13thhr.files.wordpress.com]

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
I wonder if Arilyn Moonblade would be considered a full Elf by modern standards grin.

[Linked Image from 13thhr.files.wordpress.com]
I have read the books of Arilyn Moonblade a long time ago and they were average/barely good in my taste.
Well and on topic on her picture found it slightly to human like for being Elf. She is fairly attractive though and I did not mean she is an ugly woman.

Well and should not majority of Elves not be tall and like models looking beautiful? Tessa Violet CELEBRITY music STAR and she is an ex model not so much into her music though I do like some of the tunes. but I like very much the music video of:
Tessa Violet - I Like (the idea of) You (Official Music Video) you can search on that on youtube. No owerweight tall women and models dancing (at least the most beautiful women in that videos look like models and are tall) in that video and she the singer is ex Model. Many Elves should be tall and beautiful... and Elves typically do not have any overweight and no fat Elves should exist!

R.A. Salvatore The Drow books the first 9 book I like them more or less and then it gets boring and repetive for most part have not read even near all R.A.A Salvatore books. I got so tired of those heroes being undefeatable in the long run. In addition to the Drow I liked the Assasin Artemis Entreri as a villain.

There is also Cleric quintet. Nowadays I do not read books instead see TV series, movies and play games.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 06/08/21 09:10 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
No, elves are generally shorter than most humans, in Forgotten Realms Lore at least (drows being the shortest).

About being stout, every Player character type is toned and lithe, so I see no reason for that comment (btw, all our current Player Character choices were inspired by and sculpted from the faces of real life models).

Honestly, I wish rpgs would present a bit more variety in body types. I really loved that about Obsidian's Tyranny, where you could choose height and body type (I do realize that Tyranny had a much more isometric cartoonish style where it was easier to implement such things).

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
No, elves are generally shorter than most humans, in Forgotten Realms Lore at least (drows being the shortest).

About being stout, every Player character type is toned and lithe, so I see no reason for that comment (btw, all our current Player Character choices were inspired by and sculpted from the faces of real life models).

Honestly, I wish rpgs would present a bit more variety in body types. I really loved that about Obsidian's Tyranny, where you could choose height and body type (I do realize that Tyranny had a much more isometric cartoonish style where it was easier to implement such things).
I do not agree with you on humans being taller. Humans might be broader more muscular and wide. bodybuilders etc. I go to gym myself and my record on benkpress is 125 kg well though nowadays I prefer fitness and smaller weights many times instread of try one time record lift. I am not ta tall person myself and rather average and regarding my height if I want the "tall" feeling I need to go to Thailand there some locals are short.

Tolkien's Elves are of a similar size to Men. However, they tend to be slimmer, and probably slightly taller on average.

Of course there are shorter Elves. I have mentioned BELLE DELPHINE CELEBRITY dressed as an Elf more then once now and she is absolutely not a tall person.

Regarding of Elves there are kind different of size in height as in humans. There are no fey kind of Elves though extreeme short.
Well and no there should not be any kind of fat Elves.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 06/08/21 10:59 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you look at any Forgotten Realms material, elves are shorter and lighter than humans. They are not tall. Tolkien's elves on the other hand, they were taller than humans in average (and generally physically more powerful).

Of course there are shorter Elves. I have mentioned BELLE DELPHINE CELEBRITY dressed as an Elf more then once now and she is absolutely not a tall person.

I don't even begin to know how should I respond to this comment. The fact that an adult content creator once dressed up as an elf means that elves can be short in the Forgotten Realms?

veteran
veteran
Tolkien's Elves are ...
Completely irellevant, bcs that is different world, different setting, with different rules ... :-/

This is something i allways find fascinating about Elves ...
I mean, i know that usualy there are no fat Elves pictured anywhere, but the main question i have is: Why is that?
- Is that just the fact that elvish lifestyle providing them ballanced enery gain and take, so their are fit and slim ...
- Or are Elves naturaly unable to store excess energy in fat? laugh

And what effect it have for their society?
It kinda makes sence that Dwarfs are geting fat easy ... there is not much food, that can be grown underground, so Dwarves naturaly evolved to store any bit of energy they dont need for futher uses ... that seems quite logical for me.

But what does it mean for Elf? smile
They can starve to death conciderably faster than other races?
They need permanent food suply on long travels?
How will their liver react for "heavy" food?

Shame that so many sources dont think about such details. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/08/21 11:57 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Tolkien's Elves are ...
Completely irellevant, bcs that is different world, different setting, with different rules ... :-/

This is something i allways find fascinating about Elves ...
I mean, i know that usualy there are no fat Elves pictured anywhere, but the main question i have is: Why is that?
- Is that just the fact that elvish lifestyle providing them ballanced enery gain and take, so their are fit and slim ...
- Or are Elves naturaly unable to store excess energy in fat? laugh

And what effect it have for their society?
It kinda makes sence that Dwarfs are geting fat easy ... there is not much food, that can be grown underground, so Dwarves naturaly evolved to store any bit of energy they dont need for futher uses ... that seems quite logical for me.

But what does it mean for Elf? smile
They can starve to death conciderably faster than other races?
They need permanent food suply on long travels?
How will their liver react for "heavy" food?

Shame that so many sources dont think about such details. laugh

Somewhere, I read once that DnD elves have generally a better and more efficient metabolism than humans (they eat less and less frequently, excrete less et cetera). That could be an explanation. Though, I have nothing against thicker elves.

T
Banned
Banned
T
Naah I am Tolkien fan. I dont care what you say about irrevelant how Tolkien Elves are sorry that is your opinion. I care about no fat Elves. It is not like I hate fat people in real world. Personally I do not care if fat humans play this game. Let them play the game and enjoy it.

If we meet fat or stocky people example in Baldurs Gate city they can be example Human or Dwarf race.

Hahaa we could have some Obelix strong, but fat human warrior in the game:
Obelix strong, but fat warrior

Last edited by Terminator2020; 06/08/21 01:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
You missunderstand the point. -_-

You might be as big fan as you wish ...
But different world = different rules.
That is just how things are, no matter how much you like them, they just dont aply here. :-/

If Wizard of the Coast says tomorow, that since now their Elves are all fat and have bear ears on top of their heads ... it will probably piss off every fan of the world, but that will be how WotC Elves will lookalike since then, and Tolkien and his elves will have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 06/08/21 04:17 PM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
You missunderstand the point. -_-

You might be as big fan as you wish ...
But different world = different rules.
That is just how things are, no matter how much you like them, they just dont aply here. :-/

If Wizard of the Coast says tomorow, that since now their Elves are all fat and have bear ears on top of their heads ... it will probably piss off every fan of the world, but that will be how WotC Elves will lookalike since then, and Tolkien and his elves will have nothing to do with it.
You underestimate that people can choose to ignore Wizard of the Coast.

I am pretty sure Wizard of The Coast will not do such a thing although they have in time made rarely some minor annoying changes to Magic The Gathering and no will no tell what changes and Magic The Gathering is offtopic.

If they want to piss of many they can do that. I would never play pen and paper DnD with a GM that has notion his world will have fat and bearded Elves.

At that point I would simply think fuck Wizard of the Coast if they would do that. There are also those who were so annoyed with Dnd 4th edition so they went playing Pathfinder which basically is it own rules world. While DnD 5th edition has come this hatred toward Dnd 4th edtion is so strong in my country that Pathfinder is more played in paper and pen sessions then DnD 5th edition from what I have noted from big roleplay conventions. Dnd 5th edition is though more popular then DnD 4th Edition.

Here are most popular Dnd editions in my country currently:
1. Pathfinder
2. DnD 5th edition.
3. DnD 3.5 but this is low popularity nowadays Pathfinder and Dnd 5th mostly played.
4. I am not sure if AD (Dnd second edition) or DnD 4th edition is more popular?

Please not that was my country. Could be DnD 5th is more popular then Pathfinder in many other countries. I am not ANTI DnD 5th edition, but DnD 4th edtion I consider the worst Dnd edition released. Dnd 5th edition made combat faster and more simple and back to dice rolling as old DnD versions.

I could say yes to play pen and paper DnD 5th edition or Pathfinder.

Dungeons and Dragons Dark Alliance I do not want to play that. They could release 50 DnD PC games or have 50 Dnd Pen and Paper sessions with FAT and bearded Elves and I am not going to play those games. If a GM would suddenly say I will from now on have fat and bearded Elves I would say fine I quit immediately!

Last edited by Terminator2020; 06/08/21 05:38 PM.
Page 17 of 46 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard