Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SFPuck Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
It keeps telling me "Must have advantage against target" even though an able bodied enemy of my target is adjacent to them. I do not have disadvantage against them.

"You don't need advantage on the Attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't Incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the Attack roll."

I have tried this in a number of different situations.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I'm having this same issue. It wasn't a problem before the update.

SFPuck Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hmm, now I've seen it work in a few other situations. I'll have to play with this a bit more.

If an enemy sees me I found getting sneak attack to work was impossible. Id have to go around them hide then sneak attack to get the advantage to trigger sneak attack

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Noticed that sometimes on larger enemies. Ogres for examples. This is just speculation, but it seems like the "5 ft" distance is calculated from the center of their hit box, and not the edge. So the bigger an enemy, the less likely it is that you will be able to stand within 5ft of the center of their hit box. Haven't had this problem on smaller enemy types like goblins. Again, all speculation and haven't thoroughly tested it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes it has become very frustrating - which is honestly my only complaint with this patch. And casting things (such as Faerie Fire) that should give Astarion advantage for his sneak attacks, sometimes just doesn't seem to work!
(Though my playtime has been very limited lately and I still haven't finished my first Patch 5 playthrough, so I haven't had a chance to keep testing the Faerie Fire thing.)

Last edited by Alexandrite; 10/08/21 10:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
So one of the things that can interfere with ranged sneak attack is that standard Darkvision is only 12m while your ranged weapon has an 18m range. If you are in a dark area and you exceed your Darkvision range then you lose Advantage and cannot sneak attack.

Thankfully, some jerk made a build that addresses this.

https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=784086#Post784086

Blackheifer
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
darkvision should be 60 foot (18m) (at least in 5E) which is somewhat less than the normal range of a shortbow ...that said, I think it is perfectly legit to lose your advantage if you can't see far enough. How can you pick out an accurate spot to strike if you can't really see it? That's when you would create a light source near the target e.g. dancing lights (well that should work!). There is also superior dark vision - both a spell and a natural ability for some creatures, which extends your range to 120 ft...so those creatures/npcs should gain benefit from that over a run-of-the-mill dark vision. I think there are other issues with sneak attack though - it definitely does not always work when your rogue is attacking a creature with allies right next to it. They need to fix this, sneak attack is the rogues bread and butter, at least from a combat perspective (which seems to be all people really care about). I actually preferred 3E/Pathfinder rule where you could only sneak attack with a ranged weapon within 30 foot. That seemed sensible - you had to be close enough to really see what was going on.

Originally Posted by booboo
darkvision should be 60 foot (18m) (at least in 5E) which is somewhat less than the normal range of a shortbow ...that said, I think it is perfectly legit to lose your advantage if you can't see far enough. How can you pick out an accurate spot to strike if you can't really see it? That's when you would create a light source near the target e.g. dancing lights (well that should work!). There is also superior dark vision - both a spell and a natural ability for some creatures, which extends your range to 120 ft...so those creatures/npcs should gain benefit from that over a run-of-the-mill dark vision. I think there are other issues with sneak attack though - it definitely does not always work when your rogue is attacking a creature with allies right next to it. They need to fix this, sneak attack is the rogues bread and butter, at least from a combat perspective (which seems to be all people really care about). I actually preferred 3E/Pathfinder rule where you could only sneak attack with a ranged weapon within 30 foot. That seemed sensible - you had to be close enough to really see what was going on.

Ranges of missile weapons are not properly implemented thus far (all are set at 18m). This seriously needs to get fixed for us that play Drow thieves (120ft" superior dark-vision = 36.5m vision range) for ranged attacks with longbows (yes, I spec'd for it).

5e Shortbow short range: 80ft/24.3m (long 320ft/97.5m) No penalty for short range of up to 80ft so we dark elves should be able to "sneak attack" out to that range without a range penalty.
5e Longbow short range is: 150ft/36.5m (long 600ft/182.88m) ... so short "normal" range is more than my Drow 120ft superior dark vision...so anything under that should be considered as "advantage" against target if they don't know where my character is in the dark.

This is just an extreme example on how range weapons are are not calculated correctly in game, and that sadly affects our "sneak attack" as a consequence. Fix the range issues ... for weapons and dark vision to be accurate and that will eliminate range from affecting our "sneak attacks". It won't help other issues such as elevation issues, as one can't seem to sneak attack someone higher than yourself, which makes zero sense when you think about it. As I should be able to sneak attack that goblin on the roof if they cannot see me, or the duagar on the ledge, etc..

veteran
veteran
Superior Darkvision in game is set to 24 M (should be 35m)
Regular Darkvision is 12M (should be 18M)
All ranged weapons are currently 18M (should be 24M and 30M)

So all of that needs to be fixed.

Blackheifer

Link Copied to Clipboard