Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
This is kinda crazy. I can't believe we're still discussing Minthara's hair and saying that she is Drow, therefore, her hair must be long and not cropped short because she's a Drow.

You're missing the real argument for the fake one. The bottom line is people want her to look sexy, and short hair on women isn't sexy (according to the people upset). the lore is just an excuse to try to justify themselves preferring a very specific definition of attractive for women. I wouldn't overthink it past that if i were you smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
This is kinda crazy. I can't believe we're still discussing Minthara's hair and saying that she is Drow, therefore, her hair must be long and not cropped short because she's a Drow.

You're missing the real argument for the fake one. The bottom line is people want her to look sexy, and short hair on women isn't sexy (according to the people upset). the lore is just an excuse to try to justify themselves preferring a very specific definition of attractive for women. I wouldn't overthink it past that if i were you smile

Oh no. I didn't miss it. I've been speaking out against that as well. That's why I mentioned the whole thing about her not needing to be some busty female. She's tough and vicious, not sexy and seductive.

That aside, I was looking at the new versus old versions of her, and I think I have a new theory as to why they chose what they did for her hairstyle. I don't think it has any story relevance at all, and I don't think they thought it was going to be this big of a thing for people.

I think it all boils down to two reasons:

1. Her pointy ears aren't hidden and are more pronounced in the newer version, so she doesn't appear to just be some wild-haired human with a little bit of tips of pointy-ears sticking out that you kinda really can't see so people might not even realize she's drow. In fact, most images I found on Google make her appear to be human. Her ears are almost completely hidden, and you can't even tell much. Other than her skin color, she looks like she isn't really a drow at all.

2. The old hairstyle almost completely hides her neck tattoo. I'm not sure if that's important at all, but I'm thinking they definitely wanted to show it off.

I think the change in makeup was to make her look more sinister and creepy in certain lighting. So they probably didn't even consider story, lore, or anything everyone has been discussing on this thread. They probably just wanted to show off those two features, and they probably felt that red armor popped more than blue during those darker scenes in the Goblin Base.

Look at the difference between the ears and tattoo in these two pics.

[Linked Image from c.radikal.ru]

https://preview.redd.it/epynbbivktb...787a8dc0dcddb1bbb4c9ff7f56ff4c4e1bd6739b

Last edited by GM4Him; 09/08/21 08:45 PM.
veteran
veteran
The more I look at both images, the more I have to admit, Original Minthara looks tougher. She strikes me as someone who seems more rough and tumble. New Minthara seems more like a boy band member. There are moments when she looks creepier than Original Minthara, but I don't ever feel that New Minthara is as tough looking as Original Minthara.

Original: [Linked Image from gamertweak.com]

New: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/f...ok.png/revision/latest?cb=20210716230413

Last edited by GM4Him; 09/08/21 08:45 PM.
addict
addict
The more I look at both images, the more I have to admit, Original Minthara looks tougher. She strikes me as someone who seems more rough and tumble. New Minthara seems more like a boy band member. There are moments when she looks creepier than Original Minthara, but I don't ever feel that New Minthara is as tough looking as Original Minthara.
And now where you think that toughness got lost? Some crude Photoshop:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by Zellin; 10/08/21 05:31 PM. Reason: gave better pic for comparison
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zellin

Yes, Zellin! That's what I'm talking about. THAT'S what I wanna see more of for her. I know all you did was something simple, but DANG that's better.

addict
addict
Yes, Zellin! That's what I'm talking about. THAT'S what I wanna see more of for her. I know all you did was something simple, but DANG that's better.
I just changed the eyeshadows, eyelashes and brows, made them as their were - dark. Makeup can really work wonders.

Last edited by Zellin; 09/08/21 10:18 PM.
addict
addict
Exactly, the make-up is the issue.

addict
addict
I'll just leave her here:
Some more Photoshop in attempt to find that line when she would still look evil, but more as an elven cutie.

veteran
veteran
So much better! See with those white lashes not all blown out and the brows dialed back.

She doesn't even need the heavy eyeshadow if the lighting is done right, but it certainly helps when the backlight doesn't give her enough to work with. In that case I think the makeup can make it more consistent. I still think the model in game is showing artifacts from the lashes and not a change in the eyeliner per se for the new Minthara.

The stuff with the physique/posture also an optical illusion from the changes in the outfit color/contrast I think. And because now we see more of her neck, cheekbones and brow because its not covered by the bangs or sidelocks. I don't think they changed the model itself.

Its just the knock on effect of white brows/lashes and how the new hair reveals more of what was already there before. The ears for example. Also when seen from behind or the side, the nape of her neck being exposed also has the slimming effect that probably makes her look narrower. Especially combined with the lines coming from ears on the diagonal sweep, but the shoulders neck etc are the same, its just that we see more of it now cause of the lighter colored outfit on the sleeves doesn't bleed into the figure to create the shadow vignette. I don't think they actually changed anything about her model beyond the hair. The rest is just color changes, but those can go a long way even when subtle.

The above looks much stronger. I'd like to see the same, but with her dressed in Black!!!Or at least some of the darker purple/blues from before. But black wpuld make her look instantly like nobody to fuck with. Even with the new trim, it'd read way more hardcore I think hehe

Last edited by Black_Elk; 09/08/21 11:49 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
The above looks much stronger. I'd like to see the same, but with her dressed in Black!!!Or at least some of the darker purple/blues from before. But black wpuld make her look instantly like nobody to fuck with. Even with the new trim, it'd read way more hardcore I think hehe
I personally would even give her black attire with stand-up lapel collar for more menacing look.

veteran
veteran
I was even thinking, if you're going to put her in heavy armor, why not go all out. Put her in plate. Give her some fancy, awesome plate armor with the Absolute symbol on it and make her really look tough.

Armor maybe like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/fXfScqiEgp74EgCi8

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/08/21 12:01 AM.
veteran
veteran
No doubt!!! Doesn't have to be full on popped collar, but something protecting the neck at the carotid would make sense for kicking ass too. I'd go with the classic thin band basically up to where her neck tat is. Just to cover where the neck and shoulder meet. They could do the skinny version like Baroness or Evil-Lyn, or Sorsha style maybe where its chain/plate, or those high necked get ups that we associated more with gothic horror, but like the armored version? Even if its leather or chain or something rather than a neck plate.

Some half plate would be so much more legit than this! Like some dark iron color with black trim. keep the red in the eyes and the belt jewel, but go darker for the whole get up. Tonally I mean. It doesn't need to pop and be nearly so colorful. It's better when we have more shadows to work with. I think that's why I liked the shoulder length trim over the new one, cause it cast a stronger shadow. But they could do a similar effect just with the armor design and still allow it to key off her face. The shade cast by the brow onto the cheekbones is also stronger when its not interrupted by the details of the lashes. When its all blacked out it looks even more menacing, even if we don't actually see the detail work there. I just think it was stronger when more of that visual information was omitted by the cast shadows and the color selection of the first drafting.

I don't mind the hair at all, it's more the other stuff I think they could improve for characterization along classic villainy lines. I mean if we're supposed to stress off the absolute being even more menacing than Drow and Flayers and such. Maybe we're not and the absolute is more campy, but I'd prefer some black plate, just to see. Would be cool if they opened up a design contest of some kind and then did something on a vote. Just to involve their EA players in some kind of fun something. Then at the end just make the top 3 designs something that we could select alts for as the player. That would be a nice touch and like a thing to do that might be fun.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/08/21 12:39 AM.
veteran
veteran
Agreed. I really just want Minthara especially to be more evil looking, and I was thinking similarly. Black and purples. She's a Drow. When you finally meet her in her sanctum, have her bathed in shadows so only her eyes are glowing out of the darkness. Stuff like that.

There's so much they could do with her. SO much.

veteran
veteran
Ok, this one's a bit cartoonish, but Drow with short hair and .ore importantly closer to ehat I was thinking armor.

https://images.app.goo.gl/3gyw98iVXLiGUHKe6

Imagine the Absolute symbol on her belt where the skull is. Put a mace in one hand and shield in the other... and the shield also bears a raised skull Absolute symbol, the whole shield shaped in Drow fashion.

And maybe not high heeled boots. Why women always in high heeled boots when they supposed to be kick butt? Makes no sense.

Last edited by GM4Him; 10/08/21 03:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
Maybe this armor and shield but with purple trim and Absolute symbols.

https://images.app.goo.gl/weBidRoV2uovSBLL8

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by KeinSklave
Originally Posted by Veilburner
Never understood that idea of women with short hair is somehow masculine. Why isn't the same idea applied to men with long hair?

We live in times also in which certain hairstyles have earned themself a bad reputation.
Because they were adopted by people of repulsive behaviour & ideologies.
People who become Meme's and warning signals for the masses.

I am a man so I cannot say for the other way around but long hair has a very female impression in our modern society.
And it will remain this way no matter what some very loud & influental people say or do.
It just is that way.
Furthermore and as countless other heterosexual males, I have come to like it and view it as strongly expressing the feminim beauty.
"Short hair" for Women is considered shoulder deep probably for most.

But this?
This what happened to Minthara?
It is just "punk" or "feminist" or whatever "renegade" like style.
Very bad.

With Drow: You know they are fanatics. But now?
Now Minthara looks like she is nothing but some sort of insufferable extremist.

The calm, calculating, manipulative Drow who uses her feminim charm has disappeared.
She looks like someone being aggressive & verbally offensive to people in her society, probably on "protests".
^
This is what the new hairstyle of her's is now making me expect.
Just terrible.

This

Last edited by Balbaroy; 10/08/21 04:30 AM.
You know... just possibly Larian did this to see what OUR reactions would be? Anyone ever consider that? This is still test mode after all, so future changes are going to happen... so they may have done this to spark this dialog to see what OUR opinions are on her appearance change.

By all means fix her buggy eye make-up, but my guess is she was redesigned because player reactions told them she wasn't perceived as the person Larian intended for her to be. I agree with those who think she was prettier before, but if she's not supposed to be a "pretty" character, that's a problem, not an advantage.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
This ... Larian, please. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
journeyman
journeyman

Much better; I hope Larian sees this and realizes how out of place silver eyeshadow is on her.

Page 6 of 22 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard