Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
A class in D&D isn't just a set of skills you can pick, it actually comes along with some backstory, sometimes it even requires some involvement from the world around our character (Warlock, Cleric, Sorcerers, e.t.c.). And then there is multiclassing... So... I hope I'm not too late with this suggestion. I really enjoyed how Blood Magic was handled in Dragon Age: Origins, where you could learn it only under certain plot circumstances. And I think that multiclassing in BG3 should come with something similar, being unlocked through certain actions. For example:
1. We could learn classes from our allies and companions. Halsin could help us to start our way as a druid. Volo and Gale could help us to learn arcana magic.
2. We could stumble on some guides in libraries for arcana, rogue skills, fencing techniques e.t.c.
3. We could do some quests, with ancients, devils, feys and other forces being involved, with Warlock pact provided as the reward option.
4. We could go through some clerical teachings in Temples or be granted a clerical class as the reward from some deity for doing something by their tastes.
5. And after all it could be some special Absolute cult training granting us access to whatever class we want.

I think all of it would add to roleplaying options and immerse us in our additional class better than just a button somewhere in the level up screen.

apprentice
apprentice
Sounds cool.
Until EA is finished I bet you can suggest this each 6 months or so.
So that it does not fall under the table.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] <- *click*
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
The issue would of course be that our trusty protagonist fighter or thief dual class character has to swap over at exactly the right level. Otherwise they're just wasting all that juicy experience. Now can you imagine the horrow of having a level 7 fighter that actually reaches level 8 before he can find a chance to become a bookworm? That would be a complete disaster. Crossing at level 7 works, crossing at level 8 is totally horrible!!

Joking aside, it wasn't entirely bad how it happened in Planescape Torment, but obviously it might be a bit hard to make this work with the entire class list of 5E, rather than just fighter, thief, and mage, which is what PST had. But it would be pretty cool if one could actually "talk shop" about class abilities with other party members of the same or a similar class. Halsin is a big time mega-druid, why can't he inspire our bear form? Laezel is bigly into swords, virtue of her being a gith, so why not reach a point where she gives a +1 to hit with githyanki swords buff to both herself and the protagonist? And so on, and so forth.

Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
The issue would of course be that our trusty protagonist fighter or thief dual class character has to swap over at exactly the right level. Otherwise they're just wasting all that juicy experience. Now can you imagine the horrow of having a level 7 fighter that actually reaches level 8 before he can find a chance to become a bookworm? That would be a complete disaster. Crossing at level 7 works, crossing at level 8 is totally horrible!!

Joking aside, it wasn't entirely bad how it happened in Planescape Torment, but obviously it might be a bit hard to make this work with the entire class list of 5E, rather than just fighter, thief, and mage, which is what PST had. But it would be pretty cool if one could actually "talk shop" about class abilities with other party members of the same or a similar class. Halsin is a big time mega-druid, why can't he inspire our bear form? Laezel is bigly into swords, virtue of her being a gith, so why not reach a point where she gives a +1 to hit with githyanki swords buff to both herself and the protagonist? And so on, and so forth.
I think the level problem can be solved by allowing the player to move some levels from one class to another. As if "I trained in my spellcasting so eagerly, that my rogue skills got a bit rusty".
And yes learning from each other may inspire some interesting interactions and mechanics.

Originally Posted by KeinSklave
Sounds cool.
Until EA is finished I bet you can suggest this each 6 months or so.
So that it does not fall under the table.
Larian are developing the rest of the game while we are messing around in a piece of the 1st act. They may have the rest of the game set so my suggestion wouldn't fit in. That's why I'm worried I may be late with it.

veteran
veteran
It sounds cool ...
I did like it in Dragon Age ...

But somehow it dont fit to this world for me. :-/
I dunno why, maybe i just want to have my own story of "how did i become half Warlock and half Barbarian" ... instead of that what Larian prepares for me. frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
You kinda lost me with the word "backstory". I love backstory and think it's great for characters to have... in a tabletop game run by a human DM. There's no limits to human player creativity, but in a videogame, everything has to be put in by hand. There simply isn't going to be the same amount of reactivity and story integration to do more than a fraction of the possible ideas people have in their heads for a backstory.

All that sounds like a tremendous amount of work which will nonetheless leave a lot of players unsatisfied because they couldn't make the backstory they had in mind. It's better to try and accept the limits of the medium and have the resources which would have been spent on that directed elsewhere.

Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
It sounds cool ...
I did like it in Dragon Age ...

But somehow it dont fit to this world for me. :-/
I dunno why, maybe i just want to have my own story of "how did i become half Warlock and half Barbarian" ... instead of that what Larian prepares for me. frown
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You kinda lost me with the word "backstory". I love backstory and think it's great for characters to have... in a tabletop game run by a human DM. There's no limits to human player creativity, but in a videogame, everything has to be put in by hand. There simply isn't going to be the same amount of reactivity and story integration to do more than a fraction of the possible ideas people have in their heads for a backstory.

All that sounds like a tremendous amount of work which will nonetheless leave a lot of players unsatisfied because they couldn't make the backstory they had in mind. It's better to try and accept the limits of the medium and have the resources which would have been spent on that directed elsewhere.
I got you both. This is one of the responses I expected from other players. But let me explain how I feel about it...
I love when I can create a character of my own, but after the adventure started I'm seeing it as It's not just my character anymore, it's she/he and her/his interactions with the world around and the world is out of my control naturally. And in a table-top session I wouldn't give a DM whole scenario of how I would want to become for example a Warlock in a narrative way, I may ask him to add such possibility for me and then expect him to surprise me with how it would actually play out. And in a middle of playthrough of a VIDEO-game it's harder to me to tolerate that I have to imagine stuff than accept the limited possibilities provided by the game-developers. Yeah, I probably could want very particular story of my multiclassing, but I can accept that my character just didn't stumble on it.
In addition I think there may be a toggle in settings "Unlock multiclassing: Yes/No" - for those who want to have their own imaginary story. It wont even need to cut out all the content for the "narrative multiclassing" if it's set to "Yes", just unlock all in advance. The "narrative multiclassing" should be triggered by the player. We should come to Halsin and tell that we want to become a druid, we should accept the pact for Warlock, and so on.

veteran
veteran
Well ... optionality is allways good start.
The question is where to driwe a line, isnt it?

Would unlocking those multiclasses be simply done by talking to someone ... or will you have to [Persuate] him to teach you his ways ... or will there be some limitations for who, when and how will teach you ... or will there be some quest, that will show that "you are ready" involved?

I dunno ...
I realize its not my place to decide for Larian what they wish to spend their resources on, but it seems like a waste to create content that people (and i realize that question is how many people, and i dont have answer for that) will skip. :-/

I think it could be fun ...
The trick will be how to handle this, so nobody loose much content. :-/
I can imagine that potential teachers will give you quest ... either as "show me if you can do that, and i will teach you" or "so you think you are *class* ... so how about show me how good you actualy are"...
Something like that would seem acceptable to me, not perfect, but acceptable. laugh

Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I dunno ...
I realize its not my place to decide for Larian what they wish to spend their resources on, but it seems like a waste to create content that people (and i realize that question is how many people, and i dont have answer for that) will skip. :-/
I wouldn't rise the question about skiping. We can skip nearly everything at the moment. And how I'm seeing it the option still wouldn't turn of that content, you just wont need to go through it to unlock a class in you multiclassing options. And as I wrote in 3rd point the class can be the option as a reward. For example we do a quest for a fiend and the fiend tells us in the end that "I can give you this artefact or... I can provide power, you'll just need to sign this pact" - and we choose, option 1 gives some magical item, option 2 unlocks multiclassing into Fiend Warlock for those who didn't unlock it in settings. Or let's imagine we ask Halsin to "tell us more about the druidic stuff": he shows us some practics, we get some cutscene with him teaching us to perform some ritual and in the end he says: "You are doing good. You actually could keep on training and become a druid." - and that unlocks the multiclass and we get some buff till next long rest, there is no need for an option even.

veteran
veteran
I like the buff idea, much more than item. laugh
Either that, or ability score incerase. :P

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
By definition it's an absolute maximum of 8% of people will see each path per playthrough and I would expect the majority of players would be single class. So this is content about 1-2% of players will see. There's room for niche content to flesh out playthroughs but it really has to be super impactful to be worth considering. This rings of a feature that might be worth considering once the game has been in development for 30 years.

Zellin Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Rack
By definition it's an absolute maximum of 8% of people will see each path per playthrough and I would expect the majority of players would be single class. So this is content about 1-2% of players will see. There's room for niche content to flesh out playthroughs but it really has to be super impactful to be worth considering. This rings of a feature that might be worth considering once the game has been in development for 30 years.
Can you bring any facts to prove your claims? Also if you'd read more closely you would see that this would be content for those who don't want to multiclass. By your logic Larian would need 30 years and a lot of consideration of impactfulness to add some side quests.

Link Copied to Clipboard