Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
When you have Armor of Agathys on, or other buffs like Hellish Rebuke, there's a colorful pulse on your character every 2-5 seconds (example below). Since these buffs are up most of the time, the visual effect becomes a bit annoying in my opinion. Would it be possible to toggle the visual effects from these buffs? Or perhaps just tone down the effect or remove the pulse; Armor of Agathys already has a nice frost aura that is subtle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by polliwagwhirl; 17/08/21 04:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Oh look it's my pet peeve. =)

Mage Armor
Arcane Ward
Longstrider

Basically all the perma-buffs look really obtrusive and annoying. And there will be more long lasting buffs at higher levels that add to the mess... There are solutions:

- make the VFX more subtle if they are always on!
- only show them during combat
- only show VFX when the spell effect is activated e.g. Mage Armor force field is briefly visible only when it is hit
- at the very least disable them during dialogue

Last edited by 1varangian; 17/08/21 09:59 AM.
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Oh look it's my pet peeve. =)

Mage Armor
Arcane Ward
Longstrider

Basically all the perma-buffs look really obtrusive and annoying. And there will be more long lasting buffs at higher levels that add to the mess... There are solutions:

- make the VFX more subtle if they are always on!
- only show them during combat
- only show VFX when the spell effect is activated e.g. Mage Armor force field is briefly visible only when it is hit
- at the very least disable them during dialogue

Amen to that.

veteran
veteran
As a compromise I'd like: "visualize them just in combat".

EDIT- Oh well, 1varagian already said that.

For the record this isn't even a "new problem" to the genre and Bg1 and 2 suffered from this crap a lot. By the end game your party looked like an happy brigade of walking Christmas trees.

Last edited by Tuco; 17/08/21 10:28 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
addict
addict
The problem with subtle is potentially the visual clues on opponents.
Not to say that one shouldn't strive for a balance.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Riandor
The problem with subtle is potentially the visual clues on opponents.
Not to say that one shouldn't strive for a balance.
But visual feedback still works even if it's not on all the time. E.g. someone has Fire Resistance / Protection from Elements or such on (whatever it is in 5e). You hit them with a fire attack and energy flashes and absorbs the fire. That would actually be more clear than having some sparks flying 24/7 that don't even react to fire (like NWN).

But the absolute worst is when you spend a lot of time customizing the look of your Wizard, only for them to be a sparkling pulsating force bubble mess 24/7 and you can't even see the character model anymore.

How come NPC's don't react to that obscuring mess during dialogue?

I'm not sure all magical protections even should be visualized. A big part of the usefulness of a protection spell is that your enemies don't know about it. If they do, they can always choose to target another party member who doesn't have it. And this should work both ways.

Maybe even give Detect Magic a purpose, revealing those auras and protections?

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I kinda like that magic that is "permanently active" have "permanent effect" ...
You could call it immersion.

But if that would be adjustable in settings ... w/e.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
By the end game your party looked like an happy brigade of walking Christmas trees.
lmao true

My party before the final fight of ToB (the only reason my CHARNAME didn't look like the rest was because she was a monk)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There's a reason why a lot of players wanted a mod that disabled VFXs of modal abilities in DAO.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 17/08/21 01:36 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."

Link Copied to Clipboard