Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
Originally Posted by Veilburner
https://gamerant.com/highest-selling-games-developed-bioware-ranked-how-much-sold/

not sure how accurate this is but I was going off of that.

DA:I has sold 6 million. Mass Effect 2 has sold 5 million. And Mass Effect 3 has sold 7 million.

Oh and I'm not doubting you, kanisatha. But can you show me where it's been confirmed that DA:I has sold 10 million? Haven't found anything about that.

BG1 and 2 selling 3.5 millions each is surprising, it seems inflated.
Why? Those numbers for BG1 and 2 have been known for some time. Note that they do include sales of the EEs, which believe it or not have had pretty good sales and surprisingly especially BG1EE relative to BG2EE.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Oh OK . But again DA:I was sold on 5 platforms. PC, PS3 PS4 Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Well, if it counts the EEs, than the numbers are not that surprising.
It is also no longer saying much, sicne we have a game that got multiple re-releases back in the day and then a new version a decade later, which is also released on multiple platform, 6 if I count correctly.

I think Larian *can* get as many as BW did with DA:I. Will they? Not sure, but they do have a realistic chance.

I personally see the EA as an improved version of a Preorder and there are *always* people who will wait until a game is launched.
Also, for someone who is *not* into BG or D&D, why would they buy this game?
When it is released and they hear or read good things, they may become curious though.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
And let's be honest. When it comes to video games and other forms of entertainment how many copies a game sells isn't indicative of quality.

addict
addict
Indeed, to some extent sales can just be a measure of how long a game has been available, and on how many platforms.

But, as quality is partly a subjective measure, a combination of sales and reviews over the first year or two can be a useful proxy.

T
Banned
Banned
T
And let's be honest. When it comes to video games and other forms of entertainment how many copies a game sells isn't indicative of quality.
Well I agree and do not agree.

Starcitizen MMO has raised more then 350 million dollars budget and I see it as a massive failure that in worst case never might be released. I dont know the amount of people that have paid for it but the amounts of money people can waste on that is staggering example a space ship costing over 2500 dollats and that is the tip of the iceberg.

World of Warcraft had at peak time when Wrath of Lichking was released and I played it then when it was newest expanison its peak popularity with over 12 million actived subscribers and this feat despite MONTHLY FEE and PC only.

Wrath of LICHKING was the most popular WOW expansion. I like the WOW graphics despite a bit cartoony yes but it hs nice cool artistic flavor.
Immerisive world I could play it for hours no stupd fast travel map or loading screen you really travel and are immersed in the world.
WOW MMO certainly has quality.
Low settings in WOW have low system requirements. WOW grahics have over the years been improved.
Polished no bugs.
PvE and voluntary PvP.

Originally Posted by Terminator2020
I dont see why I could not play both BG3 and Ashes of Creation?
BG3 offer sinple player or cooperative play to maximum 4 players. BG3 is only PvE and not PvP.
You can play BG3 fully turn based and pause it any time.
Movie like story effects,

Ashas of Creation.
Sub fee monthly not one time buy.
This is a MMO you can not pause combat and it is not turnbased combat.
While there is lots of PvE in Ashes of Creation one of its strongest selling points is the PvP which will have lots of Pvp. You can not play AOC and believe you
can completely avoid PvP in the long run. AOC will have many forms of PvP and also to such scale that has never done before 250 players vs 250 players and this on Unreal 4 graphics engine.

BG3 takes care of my PVE fun though can be played cooperative up to maximum 4 players or single player game. Ashes of Creation takes care of my fantasy PvP fun and it is MMO.
These two high budget game developments.
Solasta and Pathfinder 2 really can not compete with BG3 graphics and cinmeatic effects. Well not to mention BG3 supports not only single player but cooperative play up to maximum 4 players.
I dont see thus Solasta and Pathfinder as direct competion in that way and some people I guess will play all these 3 games.

Ashes of Creation focuses heavily on PvP and no other MMO has tried to create massive Pvp battles on scale 250 players vs 250 players and this on very nice graphics Unreal 4 engine.
No other MMO so far has tried that challenge.
However sales for AOC while it might be truly great came I am worried about the possible system requirements for massive PVP battles if you want high graphics.
Because AOC will not show now in some pre ALPHA state yet what people willl need for those massive PvP battles that have high system requirements that might affect sales reduce it somewhat well and then there are simply lots of people who do not like PvP.
Well and there is the subfee to reduce possible sales.

If BG3 wants to reach truly high sales above 5 million clearly I believe it needs to support consoles also XBOX and Playstation. If it will do that then I believe sales can be way over 5 milllion perhaps even 10 million. Well and I dont see it as 5 million rule on PC only. It could be 3 million or 7 million we do not know.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 10/08/21 08:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Jesus Christ.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Tuco
Jesus Christ.
I do not understand what you mean with that comment? Oh if you mean that you do not care about sales amount that it is all the same if this game will support XBOX and Playstation?

I do not demand must support consoles and I have never said that. I am PC user. However this thread is about:
"Re: BG3 potential sales and what this means for D&D and CRPGS"
and thus mentioning possible exanding to support to XBOX and Playstation is valid discussion. No I will not cry if this does not support Consoles. Larian can decide if this game will support consoles.

Well and did old Baldurs gate games come to consoles? Yes they did:
Baldurs-gate-dark-alliance-rerelease-consoles

Last edited by Terminator2020; 10/08/21 09:35 PM.
veteran
veteran
No, I meant that I don't care about hearing you taking ANY POSSIBLE CHANCE to throw your annoying potshots at other games, even when it's completely outside of the topic at hand, while also rambling on a lot of unrelated crap and making a boatload of baseless assumptions in the process.

The idea that the entire success of BG3 will rely on the release of its console versions is also completely unjustified, given that despise being hits, the past two Larian titles in the same genre had only a fraction of their overall sales on platforms different than PC.
Also, Dark Alliance didn't have shit to do with BG1 or 2 or their expansion. It's a spin-off in an entirely different genre. Frankly not even a very good one.

It's related to the series more or less like the recently released Dark Alliance is related to BG3: not at all, aside for being both D&D licensed titles.

Last edited by Tuco; 10/08/21 09:45 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
T
Banned
Banned
T
No, I meant that I don't care SNIP.

Offtopic:
Well and sometimes I don´t care about your comments as well. Example of that you said Neverwinter Nights is Action combat when you can pause it at any time in single player and give commands you have all the time and no stress if you chose to play so. Neverwinter MMO is Action combat based on DnD 4th edition and a good one the reason I quit it was not due to Action Combat and more due to TIME SINK and grind.

On to topic.
My guess sales between 3-12 million then I am on safe side on guesses.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 10/08/21 10:01 PM.
veteran
veteran
Okay, but that goes against the whole point of this topic, right? wink

But yes, I agree somewhat, similar to what @etonbears said.

veteran
veteran

Offtopic:
Well and sometimes I don´t care about your comments as well. Example of that you said Neverwinter Nights is Action combat when you can pause it at any time in single player and give commands you have all the time and no stress if you chose to play so. Neverwinter MMO is Action combat based on DnD 4th edition and a good one the reason I quit it was not due to Action Combat and more due to TIME SINK and grind.

On to topic.
Riiiight. So I guess I will estimate between 1 and 100 million? laugh

As a sidenote, one of my all-time favorite RPGs, Witcher 3, recently crossed 35 million in sales. Gawd I hope the Hidden Path D&D game will end up being something like Witcher 3 in the Forgotten Realms. Now *that* would awesome!!

T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by kanisatha

Offtopic:

On to topic.
Riiiight. So I guess I will estimate between 1 and 100 million? laugh

As a sidenote, one of my all-time favorite RPGs, Witcher 3, recently crossed 35 million in sales. Gawd I hope the Hidden Path D&D game will end up being something like Witcher 3 in the Forgotten Realms. Now *that* would awesome!!
Witcher 3 cool is truly a masterpiece and I personally love it because it has gone for 18+ age rating in all aspects. It has also expanded to Consoles which of course bumped up sales.

Hahaa I think your estimate between 1-100 million sales is correct smile. On a more serious note I do not believe BG3 can beat Witcher 3 sales.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 11/08/21 05:47 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
It is also no longer saying much, sicne we have a game that got multiple re-releases back in the day and then a new version a decade later, which is also released on multiple platform, 6 if I count correctly.

I think Larian *can* get as many as BW did with DA:I. Will they? Not sure, but they do have a realistic chance.

I personally see the EA as an improved version of a Preorder and there are *always* people who will wait until a game is launched.
When it is released and they hear or read good things, they may become curious though.

In fact, people can buy this game because they have played other Larian projects or because it is the only major AAA RPG in the near future? I think these are quite good reasons.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
T
Banned
Banned
T
Originally Posted by Nyloth
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers

In fact, people can buy this game because they have played other Larian projects or because it is the only major AAA RPG in the near future? I think these are quite good reasons.
Well I kind of agree and do not agree. True what you say if not thinking of MMO:S. Solasta and Pathfinder 2 are not AAA games.

Ashes of Creation MMO is crystal clear AAA game and I would say the most HYPED fantasy MMO for many years in beginning people said impossible to do fake game when they announced their plans to have PvP in a massive scale never done before example 250 players vs 250 players this with Unreal 4 engine graphics that look good. They told we will do what no one else have done before cool!
They have massive budget and have hired many ex employees from World of Warcraft MMO and Final Fantasy IV MMO and also hired younger talented programmers to create Ashes of Creation MMO.
The notion you can not like BG games and WOW like GRIND MMO:s is not true because I do.

Older video posted over 1 year ago roughly:

August 2021 video:

However Ashes of Creation MMO like BG3 might come out both be full release example in year 2023.

That said no super worries since Ashes of Creation main focus is PvP in fact you can not avoid PvP if you play that. While BG3 is either single player or cooperative gameplay and you never need to worry about any PvP in BG3. Ashes of Creation will have monthly SUBFEE (though no buy to win elements). BG3 will have no monthly subfee.

Finally Ashes of Creation as MMO you can never pause combat, but in BG3 you can even play it as turn based combat. I want to play MMO Ashes of Creation due to its PvP content and BG3 due to its PvE content.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 22/08/21 02:57 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by teclis23
So when BG3 hit early access the media announced that Larian sold 1 plus million copies instantly. Currently there is no data for current sales almost 1 year after EA release.

I have been checking the steam charts on a regular basis and i can confirm BG3 was in the top 10 for a very long period of time after EA and then in the top 20 for a very long very period of time and has only just recently dropped out of the top 20.

I think it would be safe to assume Larian has sold probably 2 million copies plus already. Easily. Possibly more.

So when full release finally happens i think a conservative estimate of sales then would probably be another 5 million plus copies.

This is an incredible achievement and accomplishment from Larian. They have achieved this due to there built up fan base from DOS2 and then tapping into the D&D IP.

Moving forward what does this mean for the future of D&D and CRPGS? This is uncharted territory and potentially game changing.

Please provide you thoughts on this i really want to hear what you guys have to say.

I would say larian probably can get away with a very huge sales dues to nostalgia of the franchise. But what Larian didn't realize is that they put a sour taste in my mouth for what they are trying to do with the franchise. I'm getting the feeling of playing DOS2 enhance rather than really Baldur's Gate 3. The game that gave me more feels toward being the successor of Baldur's Gate is Pathfinder Kingmaker. I have no idea what Larian is doing wrong here. I just couldn't describe it. Maybe the color pallette? Maybe the music? Maybe the similarities of the game engine assets which were originally from DOS2 and being reworked as being the Forgotten Realms?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Archaven
So when BG3 hit early access the media announced that Larian sold 1 plus million copies instantly. Currently there is no data for current sales almost 1 year after EA release.

I have been checking the steam charts on a regular basis and i can confirm BG3 was in the top 10 for a very long period of time after EA and then in the top 20 for a very long very period of time and has only just recently dropped out of the top 20.

I think it would be safe to assume Larian has sold probably 2 million copies plus already. Easily. Possibly more.

So when full release finally happens i think a conservative estimate of sales then would probably be another 5 million plus copies.

This is an incredible achievement and accomplishment from Larian. They have achieved this due to there built up fan base from DOS2 and then tapping into the D&D IP.

Moving forward what does this mean for the future of D&D and CRPGS? This is uncharted territory and potentially game changing.

Please provide you thoughts on this i really want to hear what you guys have to say.

I would say larian probably can get away with a very huge sales dues to nostalgia of the franchise. But what Larian didn't realize is that they put a sour taste in my mouth for what they are trying to do with the franchise. I'm getting the feeling of playing DOS2 enhance rather than really Baldur's Gate 3. The game that gave me more feels toward being the successor of Baldur's Gate is Pathfinder Kingmaker. I have no idea what Larian is doing wrong here. I just couldn't describe it. Maybe the color pallette? Maybe the music? Maybe the similarities of the game engine assets which were originally from DOS2 and being reworked as being the Forgotten Realms?

Here's a few words that may explain your feelings :

- Origin characters / companions, whith their bad consequences on the story telling
- Start on a beach
- Control with the terrible chain
- Party size of 4
- No D/N cycle, bright colors because it's always 14 o'clock
- Characters use of any abilities (click, spell/feature visually begin, character is turning following your mouse, you click the target, the spell/feature continue)
- Cartooney animation (I.e when you cast sleep on gale)
- Visual effects that does not look serious (jump,...)
- Surfaces, surface items, barrels everywhere "because it's fun"
- openned combat arena
- no random encounter
- a difficulty level build arround the concept of "nuke them first or you'll be nuked"
- lots of similarities between classes (don't really exist in DoS, differences toned down a lot in BG3 >< DnD)
- Theme park map
- Hotbar
- Useless minimap
- Main character less involved in the story / integrated in the world than companions

Last edited by Maximuuus; 20/08/21 03:22 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
addict
addict
I would say larian probably can get away with a very huge sales dues to nostalgia of the franchise. But what Larian didn't realize is that they put a sour taste in my mouth for what they are trying to do with the franchise. I'm getting the feeling of playing DOS2 enhance rather than really Baldur's Gate 3.

Exactly, I think Larian will easily ship 5 million. After all, It is more appealing than DOS 2 with the inclusion of cutscenes, so they will end up probably selling at least the same amount.

But this game could've been much more. They had the budget and the team for a masterpiece, but lacked direction.

Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
https://gamerant.com/highest-selling-games-developed-bioware-ranked-how-much-sold/

not sure how accurate this is but I was going off of that.

DA:I has sold 6 million. Mass Effect 2 has sold 5 million. And Mass Effect 3 has sold 7 million.

Oh and I'm not doubting you, kanisatha. But can you show me where it's been confirmed that DA:I has sold 10 million? Haven't found anything about that.

BG1 and 2 selling 3.5 millions each is surprising, it seems inflated.
Why? Those numbers for BG1 and 2 have been known for some time. Note that they do include sales of the EEs, which believe it or not have had pretty good sales and surprisingly especially BG1EE relative to BG2EE.

I was just surprised about how the EE performed, in my memory each BG sold ~ 2 millions.

T
Banned
Banned
T

Well here comes my response and I am not DOS2 lover... and apparently you are not aware of changes done to jump and disengage In BG3.

Pathfinder Kingmaker?
+ You can manually change character portraits if not happy with what game provides. Decent looking character
portaits on defualt.
+ Fairly ok Pathfinder rules and combat.
+ Fairly ok story.
- lots of bugs at release...
- annoying fast travel map system.
- mediocre graphics.
- I bought it never finished it. I sure happily played throuh Pillars of Eternity.
My vote: 6.25/10

Baldur's Gate 3:
+ Cinematic effects and story!
+ Best graphics of these games.
+ Romance and perhaps even nudity.
+ Character creation is very visual...
+ Baldur's Gate 3 is an upcoming turn based RPG game that takes places in Forgotten Realms DnD setting in terms of lore this is a DnD nerds wet dream!
+ This is the only game of these that has officially multiplayer without any mods (cooperative play up to maximum 4 players can also be played solo).
+ Created by Larian Studios creators of huge success game Divinity Original Sin 2.
+Super much versatility you can easily sink of hours into Early Access despite not all classes yet released.
+ If you want fully voice acted and cinematic experience and make your choices this is the game to play.
+ Excellent music and very good sound world.
+ Changes done no longer does food heal. No longer does backstabbing give advantage good Thief should not be S Tier class. No longer does jump is possible without attack of opportunity. Well instead you can you disengage, but then you forfeit your chance to attack enemy as in real Dnd rules. When pushing you need now really strength so some dex based Thief is not good at pushing. In addtion based on weight so impossible to push a Dragon.
Neutral . Less strict to pen and paper rules then Solasta much less... but more or less based on DnD 5th edition rules.
- This is the game that is most further away in development release date towards end of 2022 or during long year 2023.
- The companions are sometimes well a bit annoying they are also made changes to companion behavior to less hostile and annoying again in patch 5 release.
- No good alignment companions. Will? Hell no lol. True good alignment companions I hope we get them in Act 2 if not Act 1.
- Unrealistic in some parts. How in fuck can a level 5 Githyanki Fighter have over 90 hitpoints?! Rename him higher level and bump up his loot reward and exp reward or decrease hp if Early Access should be so called Normal challenge level.
- The camera control could be improved as it is now it is kind of ok, but not good still controlling the game is the weakest part of BG3.
I like BG3 very much rate it 9/10.

Last edited by Terminator2020; 20/08/21 08:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
Baldur's Gate 3:
+ Cinematic effects and story!
+ Best graphics of these games.
+ Romance and perhaps even nudity..

that really does sum up a lot of why i think this game is popular lol. And that's a little sad

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard