Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Archaven
correct me if i'm wrong. is larian not implementing the correct implementation of the dnd5e rules? if so why larian does that? i basically in favor of the implementation of how the rules supposed to be.
Larian used borrowed code from D:OS2 to launch Early Access faster. Said borrowed code was not written with 5e rules in mind. And, each patch we've had improvements to get closer to 5e (mostly from player feedback).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DragonSnooz
correct me if i'm wrong. is larian not implementing the correct implementation of the dnd5e rules? if so why larian does that? i basically in favor of the implementation of how the rules supposed to be.
Larian used borrowed code from D:OS2 to launch Early Access faster. Said borrowed code was not written with 5e rules in mind. And, each patch we've had improvements to get closer to 5e (mostly from player feedback).
I don't know about code, but according to Larian themselves, it's not entirely accurate
https://wccftech.com/larian-studios-interview-innovating-baldurs-gate-3/
"We took the D&D fifth edition ruleset, we ported it to video game format, and we saw the things that didn't work. So we started working on that."

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
addict
addict
I have my doubts that Larian built a game with D&d 5e rules as written (in entirety), and then spent time changing the code again to be more like D:OS2.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

thanks. that explain why BG3 have striking similarity of being a DOS2 enhanced edition. most software developers they basically just copy paste and rework on the assets, UI and content from old codes and assets. they should perhaps change different artist and graphics designer as there won't be much difference when they reuse the same one from DOS2 devs.

back to point on reaction. i prefer the Solasta reaction. I believe it's the way how it depicts 5e. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

veteran
veteran
I have my doubts that Larian built a game with D&d 5e rules as written (in entirety), and then spent time changing the code again to be more like D:OS2.
Yeah it does sound stupid, but still that's what they said. Even if they did it and even if they didn't, this just a very stupid thing to say.

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
veteran
veteran
They did not, but they also made and are making substantial changes - it is not the same engine that run D:OS2 - that should be obvious just comparing them side by side. And considering how much stuff they add and change, I don’t think “engine doesn’t support it” is a reason for anything.

They clearly do want to keep many things from D:OSs - that is creative choice however, not an engine limitation.

I suppose an odd quote is this:

We took the D&D fifth edition ruleset, we ported it to video game format, and we saw the things that didn't work.

I wonder what form it took - did they added functionality to their D:OS engine? Or did they created basic prototype in which they can mess around with stuff? You hear stories about devs prototyping ideas within days to prove a concept - they might have tested potential implementations without going full in and building proper framework for it. I doubt there is another build of BG3 with faithful 5e implementation, but that doesn’t mean that what they said is a lie.

veteran
veteran
I don't think they lied either. I suppose I just wonder what exactly did they do and what exactly "didn't work" according to them

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, “we saw the things that didn’t work” is ambiguous. It could be from a technical perspective, like “our engine doesn’t let you take actions outside of your turn so reactions don’t work”. Or it could be from a design perspective, like “we can’t really constrain the frequency of long rests, so the short rest/long rest balance baked into 5e doesn’t work”.

Reading that Larian quote, I always assumed it was the latter but reading this thread I think it might be the former.

TRIBE!
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard