Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
I suppose I do favor quantity over quality to a certain extent, but only because its usually presented as this stark either/or. I'd rather have both, surely, and I think you're right that the BG2 companions had a bit more going on. They each had a questline, and some major plot interjections, or an associated class stronghold area. Even Misc had the "which Witch?" thing, where he'd try to dime-in on Aerie or Viconia as his new Dhynaheir replacement depending on who was rolling along. Though I think you might be right there too, that he was like the only BG2 Companion who didn't really have a questline, and yet still ended up being the most iconic BG character somehow, which might say something about how much players really need to work with to make someone memorable.

The problem with good and interesting as I see it, is that it's still pretty easy to hard pass if a player just doesn't like their voice or has an "I hate their stupid face!" hang-up, or simply finds that a companion's char or class archetype overlaps too much with their own MC to be tolerable.

Part of the problem they have right now in BG3 is exactly this, that some people fall passionately in love with a particular companion Character while others totally hate that same companion, purely for reasons of taste or fit. Right now we have only 5 companions, and it seems they are meant to be the villains, even though none of them feel particularly villainous right now. One can maybe assume that we'll have more than 5 eventually, perhaps we'll get 8 or 10 altogether, but that still seems like not nearly enough.

I think Halsin has plenty going on to qualify, the guns alone are shoring up his character for some. If all they have to do is change a line or two of dialog about what kind of Druid he is (not quite arch) to make it work narratively, that seems like a simple fix.

veteran
veteran
Agree with everything you wrote pretty much. I just don't think they should actively construct more companions that will only bring some barks and a line or two of dialogue to the mix. If that's what you're interested in, create a mercenary

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
B-tier is fine with me, as long as there's some decent variety.

In BG1 practically every area you visited had least 1 NPC trying to crash the party.

Without even wandering off the beaten path, you were bound to run into a dozen hangers-on by the time of the Bandit interlude. Just walking the main highways or stopping by the taverns. Wander a little further and you'd run into a Kivan or Shar Teel or whoever. Often times they were just thrown at us as "maybes" along the way, without needing to be anything particularly special or stand out. Just trapped in a mine or some such. Pretty much exactly like Halsin lol
IIRC in Baldur's Gate I they didn't expect people to reload when characters they liked died, so the army of replacements for the last (class here) that died weren't needed-one of the reasons the roster for Baldur's Gate II was so much drastically smaller.
I personally like Halsin because he seems ambiable, grounded and if I'm being vain, has a nice voice and bucks stereotypical elf appearance; he's not a scrawny beanpole prettyboy like Astarion or (possibly) Tav or any other elven NPC, he looks like a confident f&*%ing gigachad that could knock out a bear in one punch.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Some_Twerp753
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
B-tier is fine with me, as long as there's some decent variety.

In BG1 practically every area you visited had least 1 NPC trying to crash the party.

Without even wandering off the beaten path, you were bound to run into a dozen hangers-on by the time of the Bandit interlude. Just walking the main highways or stopping by the taverns. Wander a little further and you'd run into a Kivan or Shar Teel or whoever. Often times they were just thrown at us as "maybes" along the way, without needing to be anything particularly special or stand out. Just trapped in a mine or some such. Pretty much exactly like Halsin lol
IIRC in Baldur's Gate I they didn't expect people to reload when characters they liked died, so the army of replacements for the last (class here) that died weren't needed-one of the reasons the roster for Baldur's Gate II was so much drastically smaller.
I personally like Halsin because he seems ambiable, grounded and if I'm being vain, has a nice voice and bucks stereotypical elf appearance; he's not a scrawny beanpole prettyboy like Astarion or (possibly) Tav or any other elven NPC, he looks like a confident f&*%ing gigachad that could knock out a bear in one punch.

I also like that Halsin is unique for an elf. He's like Legolas magically crossed with Beorne from the LOTR series.

I like the idea of him being a party member, but if so not just a camp member. Really makes no sense him leaving the grove and then doing nothing but sit in your camp.

The skeleton guy, I get. He's been sent by some mysterious master to ensure you continue your quest. So whoever sent him ordered him to sell resurrection to you for a price.

Halsin, though, is leaving HIS grove. He's lived there over a 100 years. He was there when Moonhaven was destroyed and when the Dark Justiciars were defeated. He is now leaving AFTER the grove was almost destroyed by Kagha. For what? To sit at your camp and be Master Yoda in Empire Strikes Back... just to guide you? No. Makes no sense. If he comes with, he should be playable.

But again, he should be at least level 10. HE'S an ARCHDRUID!!! He should NOT be some level 4 baby druid. And so, we have a balance issue if he is playable, BECAUSE HE'S AN ARCHDRUID!!!

For those who don't know RPGs, Levels 1-5 are really novice levels. 6-10 are regulars. 11-15 are veterans and 16-20 are masters. I cannot accept Halsin, a renowned Healer, as anything less than 1 step away from veteran.

Tuco #788474 23/08/21 03:06 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
What is so interesting about Halsin? He is a very generic character with stereotypical lines.
I actually found him fairly likable from the get go, but boy if this community didn't put its best effort in trying to make it become an insufferable meme.

Also, not every half decent character needs to "become a companion right now".
See similar requests for Minthara or the failed Bard of Cringe Alfira.

And yes, "the more companions the better", but ideally not by recycling B-tier NPCs.

Agree 100%. Alfira…jaysus…I just don’t get it. What a nothing character.

I would personally love to see additional companion chars added just to have more choices for my crew. However, I would prefer ones that are 1) actually written to be companions, not shoehorned in by Larian to satisfy player thirst for random NPCs, 2) that are interesting, and not rando mercs with no substance, and 3) that are non origin chars instead of walking advertisements for the more compelling play through you *could* be having if…ya know…you weren’t trying to actually role play a custom character.

Also…I think that Halsin is going to die at Moonrise Towers. Or betray us. Or reveal a dark secret. Or fart at an inopportune moment. Or any number of things more interesting than being a companion/origin char.

veteran
veteran
Halsin doesn't have the parasite, or so we can assume because he doesn't trigger the mind connect thing that everyone (excluding Gale... ahem... cough... did anyone but me notice that Gale is the only companion who does NOT trigger the parasite mind connect thing?... but I digress...). Therefore, it is not likely that Halsin would be considered a true party member. Karlach, on the other hand, makes sense as she is definitely one who is Afflicted. Does it mean ONLY characters who are Afflicted can be companions? No. But that seems to be the way they are going with the story.

Nevertheless, Karlach doesn't join you yet. I'm hoping that when the game rolls out completely she will join you right away. I like her character and want her as a companion. (She could do with a few less F-bombs if you ask me, but I can live with that.)

As for Halsin, he just doesn't make sense as a companion because he's an Archdruid. I actually was getting the impression that they Talkative Skeleton will be phased out, actually, as your Resurrection Buddy after you leave for Moonrise Towers and that Halsin is supposed to take his place. I got this impression with Patch 5. When you talk to the skeleton at the party, he says something to the effect that his time with you is pretty much at an end. He is no longer needed, or something of that nature. So I'm guessing Halsin is supposed to be the party respawn super healer. Again, however, doesn't really make sense to me. The man should be helping you explore and fight, not just sitting at camp waiting around just in case you die.

I did think of a good way to have Halsin as a playable party member and still stay true to story and D&D lore, etc. Level Drain. If Halsin explained that he got captured because an associate of Minthara's, who returned to Moonrise after the attack on Waukeen's Rest, had used a medallion or magic item of some kind that drains people's levels, permanently, that would do it. Halsin was once a level 15 or something druid. He went with the adventurers to check out the cult at the temple of Selune. They were running. The Drow used the magic item and drained Halsin's levels. Goblins swarmed him. He fought hard, but each round the Drow drained another level until he used up the magic item's 10 uses. Now, Halsin is only level 5. He has significantly lost his power because of the wicked Drow's amulet. They could even call it the Vortex of the Absolute, or something crazy like that. Halsin, therefore, could be explained as being so weak because of evil magic. Now, he feels he is no longer fit to lead the grove because they need someone so much more powerful and capable to help heal them and recover.

There you go. You're welcome, Larian. I solved your "Halsin is too weak mechanically to fit the story." Now you just have to actually have him explain it... or something similar... in the game itself. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Level Drain. If Halsin explained that he got captured because an associate of Minthara's, who returned to Moonrise after the attack on Waukeen's Rest, had used a medallion or magic item of some kind that drains people's levels, permanently, that would do it. Halsin was once a level 15 or something druid. He went with the adventurers to check out the cult at the temple of Selune. They were running. The Drow used the magic item and drained Halsin's levels. Goblins swarmed him. He fought hard, but each round the Drow drained another level until he used up the magic item's 10 uses. Now, Halsin is only level 5. He has significantly lost his power because of the wicked Drow's amulet. They could even call it the Vortex of the Absolute, or something crazy like that. Halsin, therefore, could be explained as being so weak because of evil magic. Now, he feels he is no longer fit to lead the grove because they need someone so much more powerful and capable to help heal them and recover.

There you go. You're welcome, Larian. I solved your "Halsin is too weak mechanically to fit the story." Now you just have to actually have him explain it... or something similar... in the game itself. smile

I like it.

It gives Halsin a real and very personnal reason to follow us and to leave the grove, it explain why this archdruid is so weak and with such a story he could become a non origin companion.

Some holes in the plot that make the characters and the world sometimes inconsistent are filled.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/08/21 06:33 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Level drain idea works for me. It doesn't need to be permanent, since level drain is high level magic, he could just be trying to get to another Druid powerful enough to remove it's hold on him. Or it could be a curse of the Absolute or the witch that binds him, just as easily, to use something more nebulous than a standard spell that requires a specific remedy at Moonrise or wherever. As an outsider to the brainworm thing, Halsin would still have a clear interest in keeping tabs on us, just because he's still trying to do what an archdruid is supposed to do. Even in a plot induced state of relative weakness, he could have a different angle and running commentary from the druidic perspective. Clearly mind flayers running about, spreading some kind of illidith plague like invasion of the body snatchers, is going to be bad news for the natural realm writ large so he's got that motivation going. Here's another simple plot device rationale to explain why an Archdruid might leave the Grove...

from the old "Complete Druid's Handbook" AD&D supplement, the section on Archdruids:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Might be a moot point, or maybe not lol

ps. oh, found a link with the relevant text transcribed. The level scaling is different in more recent editions, but the core concepts are still pretty much there. I'd also like some treatment of Druidic secret languages or some kind of ogham too. I think it would be good to introduce this material via a companion like Halsin rather than via some random lorebook, or just expecting players to already know all this stuff. The Shadowdruid material would likewise be better handled by a companion too, with Kagha the obvious candidate there, but that's another thread. Anyhow, this stuff... starting on pg 45.

"High-level Druids
Only a limited number of druids in a given circle can reach the inner circle—nine of druid rank, three archdruids, and a single great druid. A character cannot replace one of these druids without having sufficient experience. In addition, a vacancy must open up, or the rising druid must defeat one of the current higher-level characters the druidic challenge to assume a new rank. Some tension exists between druids of the inner circle, since they remain constantly aware that a subordinate may be preparing a challenge. Unlike clerics, who normally settle down by this point, high-level druids continue adventuring as part of their duties and to stay in shape to fend off challengers.

Druids
Upon reaching 12th level, a character receives the official title druid, of which a circle never has more than nine. (Lower-level characters, though called “druids” by most, are technically “initiates.”) A druid’s role in the circle resembles that of a 7th- to 11th-level initiate, with some exceptions. At 12th level, a druid has gained access to the commune with nature spell and should use it along with other druidic resources to aggressively root out emergent threats to the wilderness within a domain. Druids attend the High Council of the Moot (described later this chapter) and always act based on the needs of the circle as a whole. The circle’s great druid at times asks 12th-level druids for advice and sends them on missions for the good of the circle. But the life of a druid involves more than just adventuring—serving as a mentor takes up much of a druid’s time, too. Selecting young people to train as druidic candidates constitutes a major responsibility of those who reach druid rank. Each year druids (and other inner circle members) pick the single most worthy of their advanced students to initiate into the Order as 1st-level druids. (For more on initiations, see Chapter 4: Role-playing Druids.)

Archdruids
A 13th-level druid is called an archdruid. Each circle can have only three archdruids and, as with the druid rank, advancement requires either filling a vacancy or winning a challenge against a seated archdruid. An archdruid’s role resembles that of a druid, with two differences. Archdruids concern themselves more with maintaining the balance of Nature, making sure no one alignment or ethos comes to utterly dominate the domain. Also, archdruids spend time training to step into the role of the great druid. To accomplish both these goals, they devote much time to travel, ensuring their familiarity with the geography—human, natural, and magical—throughout the domain.

The Moot
The three archdruids share the druid’s responsibility for initiating newcomers to the Order. In addition, they each have the right to summon a moot: a gathering of the entire circle, traditionally held at the solstices and equinoxes. By ancient custom, moots are called four times a year at these set dates, once by each archdruid and once (usually in spring) by the great druid. A moot on a nontraditional date means the summoner sees something so deeply amiss in the domain that the entire circle must discuss it as soon as possible.

These gatherings enable the circle to celebrate the changing of the seasons, to gossip and socialize, to exchange information on the state of the domain, and to fight druidic challenges before an audience. Druids at a moot perform ceremonies to celebrate Nature, honor their dead, marry a couple within the Order, and initiate new 1st-level druids. Along with these ceremonial duties, small groups at moots disappear together into the wilds to talk quietly while searching for herbs or mistletoe. The climax of any such gathering is the High Council of the Moot; the circle’s nine druids, three archdruids, and great druid meet in a secret location to discuss the state of the domain and make plans to rally the circle against a particular problem, if necessary. Sometimes an ambassador from a neighboring circle (usually a character of at least druid rank) or an emissary of the Grand Druid attends a council. These personages bring news and greetings—and sometimes requests for help. After the High Council, the great druid (or an archdruid) addresses the entire moot, answers questions, and takes advice. To call a moot, an archdruid (or the great druid) sends messengers out across the domain to spread the word to druids of all branches. All members of the circle above 7th level must attend or explain the absence. Members of 3rd to 6th level may come, but usually do so only if their journeys bring them to the vicinity or if they have business with others there. Those of 1st or 2nd level may attend a moot only with the permission of a member of the inner circle.

The moot is scheduled to begin two weeks after the summoner dispatches the announcements, giving all druids in the circle enough time to settle their business and arrive. Such a gathering generally takes place at a sacred grove under the stewardship of the summoner. Though most moots last about four days, the meeting cannot end until the summoning archdruid or the great druid dissolves it. Bards, elves, rangers, swanmays, and other sylvan folk often are invited to a moot, but its location remains a secret to others. In troubled times, elves, rangers, friendly beasts, or forest creatures may patrol the moot and take trespassers prisoner. If the domain’s circle is on good terms with the land’s rangers, a spring or autumnal moot may take place in conjunction with a rangers’ forgathering. (See Chapter 10: Forgatherings in The Complete Ranger’s Handbook.) However, like rangers, druids prefer to keep their gatherings to themselves, and such cooperation usually results from personal friendships between the great druid and notable rangers—or signals a desperate alliance against a greater foe."

Last edited by Black_Elk; 23/08/21 07:57 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
As for Halsin, he just doesn't make sense as a companion because he's an Archdruid.
As Avallonkao corectly pointed out on first Page, he is not an "Archdruid". wink
That is just title people on forum gave him for some unknown reason. laugh
He introduced himself as "First druid of the Emerald Grove" ... wink

Source:

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/08/21 10:03 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
I think even calling himself "First Druid" would indicate that he is at least in the inner circle. The thing is, Larian has set the opening of their game in a druid grove, complete with factional infighting and a shadowdruid sub-plot, so it's sort of like, if we're already here, they should lean into the lore a bit more right?

The best way to introduce druidic lore in my view would be to have a companion who can do running commentary. Especially if the PC is a druid, that way they could have the whole mentor angle too. Really delve into the hierarchy stuff.

BG2 gave Druids short shrift, their class stronghold was for sure the weakest of those questlines. BG1 and BG2 each had two druid NPC companions. In BG we had Jaheira in both, Faldorn as the Shadowdruid in the first game and Cernd in the second. But Cernd's kit was particularly weak, they made him a shapeshifter which in that game just meant a werewolf archetype, which was already kinda played out from ToSC. Jaheria was also a Harper, which sort of overshadowed her Druidness. I think BG3 could do better, they already have a lot of the pieces in place.

Druids are a hallmark cause they were basically in that first set of kits that became core classes in AD&D and so they had a lot of standard lore supporting and propping up the idea. They were also kind of unique as a class concept restricted to humans or half elves/half humans and had a unique XP table and level progression that had a standard hierarchy too, until lvl 16 when they basically become like globe trotting free agents. One of the cool things about Heirophant Druids was that they ceased to physically age, so they could basically become like ancient Elves in terms of lifespan. Though Halsin is already an Elf, so that perk isn't quite as novel hehe, but still. They could do a lot with a Druid-centric plotline that extends out from the Emerald grove to the wider world. Especially if they did the Moot idea. People on the forums thinking he's a higher level druid makes sense, just from how all the other druids we meet indicate that he is the most powerful Druid around, at least in the immediate vicinity.

ps. I think being "First Druid of the Emerald Grove" could at least mean he is a legit Druid. 12th level in 2E terms. One of 9 with the rank of "Druid" in whatever Circle the Emerald Grove belongs to. Perhaps Nettie and Kagha are still initiates (lvl 11 in 2E terms) and so there are other Archdruids in the Circle of higher rank, but they are further afield and characters we haven't met yet. Which also makes sense, because nobody who isn't a Druid should just be casually running into Archdruids anyway.

Druids are supposed to be like a secret society, and Shadowdruids are even more secretive still. But all Druids should be on guard from outsiders. Whatever his exact level or rank, as a Druid, Halsin would pretty much have an obligation to follow the party and inform the rest of the circle about what's going down with the Illithids, even if he didn't have another more personal reason to do so (like restoring himself, if using a level drain idea.) Either way though, I think it makes sense to provide a druid companion. Closing out the Druid sub-plot after we leave the Grove would be kinda weak. Druids and Rangers need a plotline that makes sense, at least tangentially for their class archetype to make sense and feel like they have a reason for being included in the game. Barbarians and Bards can usually dovetail on a larger Druid plotline as well. BG always had something like that going, so the wilderness oriented classes had a rationale for getting involved in the broader adventure that made sense for them.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 23/08/21 07:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
People didn't "make up" the Archdruid title.

It literally says Archdruid on mouseover/examine. Even Kagha is an "Archdruid". Unless they changed that in patch 5.

Badly chosen titles aside, even common sense dictates that a large circle of Druids would not be led by a low level or middling level 5-6 Druid. It would be perfectly acceptable that Halsin is the First Druid of Emerald Grove without being an "Archdruid" but even so he should be level 9+ at the very least. He is described as powerful and wise, leader, teacher and master. Kagha should be level 7-8 as the number two in command.

Last edited by 1varangian; 23/08/21 07:47 PM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
In our country we have a saying:
In the land of the blind, one-eyed is the king.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
The exact size or geographical scale of a given Druid circle was left intentionally vague in the sourcebooks, but the sense was always that it covered a pretty vast area. In Faerun there are supposed to be many Circles each run by a Great Druid, 3 Archdruids, and 9 Druids in charge of presumably dozens if not hundreds of Initiates. But every Circle was supposed to be answerable to a single Grand Druid, and there is only one of those in the world at a time. Basically like Highlander, there can be only 1. Higher than level 15 Hierophants, meant that at some point that character actually was the Grand Druid, but was either defeated in a challenge or chose to move on and serve some even higher purpose. They're supposed to be among the most powerful characters in Faerun at that point. If Kagha is an Archdruid as well as Halsin, then they are both probably under levelled for their rank, though more recent editions of D&D play faster and looser with the whole concept. The sourcebooks were always just rough guides, and BG1/2 took plenty of liberties, but the hierarchy thing is pretty baked in so I'd expect them to give it a more developed treatment.

For the main class archetypes, Druid split off from Clerics pretty early. Like first we had Warriors and Wizards and Rogues, with the Priest class following hot on the heels. Each of those then split into like two or more branch archetypes in AD&D which were kind of the original class hybrids. Priests became Clerics and Druids, in much the same way that Rogues became Thieves and Bards. But of all the new classes, Druid probably had the most structured lore. To the point where just attaining higher levels meant occupying a certain station within the Druidic Order. To me it makes sense that a Druid would join the party and venture to Moonrise, since the mind flayer plague is clearly affecting the whole region, and not just these 4 PCs. The party just happens to be weirdly unaffected by the brain worm, whereas everyone else seems to be enthralled more fully by the worms, but Halsin as a Druid or Archdruid or whatever, should probably be trying to bring the party to his superiors to figure out what should be done with them. Not just sending them on their merry way through the Underdark.

Even if the party declines Halsin's initial invitation, I'd still expect him to be hunting after us regardless just to observe and keep tabs, which would explain him as a camp follower/healer. Though a more convenient and satisfying way to do it, would be to just have an option for him to actually join the party. I'd like to see Kagha doing the same actually, to me it just makes sense. That's what Druids in their positions would probably do. Let Nettie run the Grove and deal with the Tiefling problems, while they head off to deal with larger problems affecting the larger realm. Preparing to challenge and such, like proper Druids.

Perhaps Halsin and Kagha are each racing to reach the Great Druid of their circle along conflicting paths, to persuade the Great Druid to invoke "The Ban" on their rival? There are sound Druidic reasons that either might be banished from the circle, whether justly or unjustly, and that might provide another motivation for one of them to accompany or hunt the PCs after that point. Perhaps only the Grand Druid can lift the ban? But first the party has to find the Grand Druid. Easy plotline to dive into.

Also just since the idea came up earlier, I think a level drain or curse of the absolute plot conceit could well work for the entire party, and not just Halsin. Lae'zel should fire off a line about how the worm doesn't just transform the infected, but draws away their power. This is a good way, in-story, to give our characters a reason for starting the game at lvl1, when their backstories might imply that they were once more powerful. It has been suggested many times and seems easy enough to work into the amnesiac storyline we have going so far.

For a Shadow Archdruid, I think a look vaguely like this rough character sketch from Ulrich would be cool... Like all hooded and secretive, with a mask maybe instead of an armored helmet?

Or facing down a shadow totemic beast, like from that classic Brom illustration lol...

Halsin should have to throw down against some Villainous druids like that if he really wants the Arch status heheh.

Kagha has a good look right now for a Shadowdruid. I hope they don't mess with her look too much. She reads viper all day right now and looks pretty menacing even in the standard threads. I could see a set of armor with some darker leaves or something with more of a serpentor vibe for her battle duds though. Halsin could maybe get a battle suit as well, more themed on the bear. Druids might be advised not to dress so obviously, but clearly this game has everyone wearing their archetypes on their sleeves, as it were. So I could see some different gear-ups once they're looking to go on the road. I like that they gave us Kagha as a Shadowdruid counterpoint to Halsin. It'd be cool if the game kept them in competition in later acts somehow. Not that they need to make a standalone druid game out of all this. But there's a ton of material to mine just within the main druid cliches from the old handbook, if they wanted to lean into it as an aspect of the main flayer plotline.

I'd welcome the B-tier, and honestly Halsin and Kagha are like the A-team of the B-tier. It's not like people are clamoring for Nettie or Aaron to come along lol. I'll be annoyed if they saddle us with a halfling druid companion. Not opposed to shorty companions on general principle or anything, but it just seems like a lame showcase for a druid class archetype. A Halfling druid companion would feel too much like a 3rd Ed wow-factor thing for me, it's not new anymore, and not really the kind of callback I'm looking for here. Like I know halfling druids can exist, same as a half-orc druids or tiefling druids now I guess, but an elf druid feels less reaching, so why not just give us a pair of those instead? A classic druid questline dealing with the standard Hierachary of the Order and such would be nice here. Everything else is so over the top right from the getgo. Yanking some stuff straight out of the complete Druids handbook like comfort food goodberries would be kinda satisfying by comparison. At least for me.

If they really want to do something new with Druids, other than Halfling druids hehe, I still think the idea of Drow druids has some potential. Perhaps we could get a lense on that world coming from one of these druidic surface elves? Play up some tensions there, or old animosities, if they decide to go that route and actually develop something that fits for Druids from the Underdark. What does an Underdark Circle look like? That would actually be pretty novel.

5th Ed throws a lot of things at us as new char possibilities, but its up to the modules to show us what they actually look like in a fully realized game world. Some things are easier to picture than others. A Drow druid is hard to picture right now, as anything other than a 1-off type thing (like Drizzt for a Ranger was in 2nd ed), but perhaps with some more world building and an iconic character or villain or two, they could move the ball somewhere with that idea. Provide some scaffolding for those character concepts so that they actually make sense in-universe for Faerun.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 24/08/21 02:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
The more I think about it, the more I like Halsin being cursed by some Absolute magic that level drains him to level 5. Then he could be a playable character and travel with the group, striving to find a healer himself to be cured of the curse... or become powerful enough again on his own to cure himself.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard