Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 105 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 104 105
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I will most likely dive into custom settings this time around, and cut as much bullcrap as I can.
That's more or less my plan as well.
I just wish there was some "reference material" on how to nail the closest thing to pen & paper balance I can get.

Aside for being misleading in general with its premade settings, the game obfuscates just enough information to make that balancing act not exactly trivial.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
Honestly - simply from reading this thread and checking out a few of the videos out for it, I'll be pre-purchasing WotR. Not familiar at all with Pathfinder as a setting (a friend has run it for years, but I've never really ventured outside of D&D), but enough of the game looks interesting that it's gained my attention. With BG3 still a long ways off from completion, been itching for a new CRPG to scratch the itch that trying to replay BG1/IWD/PoE isn't quite managing to.

I don't suppose it'll be bouncing off from anything that happened in Kingmaker, will it?

veteran
veteran
Don't worry about Kingmaker. No narrative connection

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Abits
Apart from Tristian's single comment about the Worldwound and all the badness going on there, no?
But otherwise - yes, it appears to be entirely separate.

Last edited by Brainer; 25/08/21 06:13 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brainer
Apart from Tristian's single comment about the Worldwound and all the badness going on there, no?
Didn't even remember that shit lol. It happens in the same world, but no real connection other than some Easter eggs and cameos like this one. If you know the fire emblem series, it's like the connection between fire emblem 1 and 2

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
old hand
old hand
There's also a kingdom problem...
...in which you send troops to the Worldwound to support the Mendev Crusaders against the demon invasion. So the two games happen at around the same time, which sounds like DAO and DA2.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Try2Handing
There's also a kingdom problem...
...in which you send troops to the Worldwound to support the Mendev Crusaders against the demon invasion. So the two games happen at around the same time, which sounds like DAO and DA2.
Some very minor spoilers (it's even mentioned in the trailer I think but if you're really don't don't read):

The world wound is a thing for a 100 years when you start wrath and there have been many crusades

So it doesn't necessarily mean they happen at the same time. But the comparison to da1-2 is a good one

Last edited by Abits; 25/08/21 08:54 AM.

In Pathfinder WotR the Storyteller (the old elf) has a dialogue in which he tells you about how he helped an adventurer to build a kingdom.

So WotR takes place after PF: KM.

EDIT:
Spelling.

Last edited by daMichi; 25/08/21 09:04 AM.
veteran
veteran
Well I was trying not to spoil too much but if that's how we wanna go about it....

journeyman
journeyman
Didn't even remember that shit lol. It happens in the same world, but no real connection other than some Easter eggs and cameos like this one. If you know the fire emblem series, it's like the connection between fire emblem 1 and 2

From yours and others, sounds like mostly just Easter eggs and slight mentions of it a la Dragon Age 2 referencing events in Dragon Age Origins but not being directly connected to it. Works for me!

If I like WotR I may eventually pick up Kingmaker, but admittedly first got interested in WotR for a specific companion I saw after looking it up (once I'd read through this thread when it was about... 14~15 pages long). However, I have a tendency to check out other games from a developer if I deeply enjoy the first I pick up from them (picked up Tyranny because I fell in love with Pillars of Eternity, for instance).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MarbleNest

From yours and others, sounds like mostly just Easter eggs and slight mentions of it a la Dragon Age 2 referencing events in Dragon Age Origins but not being directly connected to it. Works for me!

If I like WotR I may eventually pick up Kingmaker, but admittedly first got interested in WotR for a specific companion I saw after looking it up (once I'd read through this thread when it was about... 14~15 pages long). However, I have a tendency to check out other games from a developer if I deeply enjoy the first I pick up from them (picked up Tyranny because I fell in love with Pillars of Eternity, for instance).
Yes the two games are completely separate. They're both TT game modules for Pathfinder published by Paizo. No game connections between them at all. Only setting connections because they're both in the Golarion world of Pathfinder.

For a very long time I also played only D&D cRPGs and didn't bother with any other games because I just loved the FR setting very much. But following the last expansion of NwN2, when no further good D&D cRPGs were being made by anyone, I started to look for alternatives to D&D cRPGs. That's how I ended up a fan of the DA games and the Witcher games, the PoE games, and now the Pathfinder games. I've never played Pathfinder TT like I have D&D TT, and so don't have the same connection to the Pathfinder setting like I do with FR, but it is turning out to be a fun and interesting setting after all.

addict
addict
Im a simple man. I see quick ass fantasy in game portrait art, Im hooked.
How are my supposed to be interested in BG3 anymore when you have in game companion portraits that look this good in Wotr wink
Just joking, but really wish Larian hand-drew more stuff in game.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

veteran
veteran
Hand drawn portraits for all the main characters would be pretty rad

Originally Posted by mr_planescapist
How are my supposed to be interested in BG3 anymore when you have in game companion portraits that look this good in Wotr wink

Then you realize that now you can see clearly your character and the companions closer because of higher quality on graphics and that the portrait has absolutely nothing with the models. I prefer BG3 over it, at least I can see them ingame as I created them.

Last edited by Avallonkao; 26/08/21 01:04 AM.
veteran
veteran
God those portraits are just incredible! TAKE MY MONEY NOW

veteran
veteran
Yeah the art of owlcat games is still top notch (not only for companions, the NPCs and the art in general)

That said, I know with the current technological advances in gaming you can have realistic pictures, but I am still a sucker for "artistic" portraits, Not only quality portraits for your companions, but the possibility of adding your own portraits to the characters. It´s something I missed not only in BG3, in other games like Solasta.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Avallonkao

Then you realize that now you can see clearly your character and the companions closer because of higher quality on graphics and that the portrait has absolutely nothing with the models. I prefer BG3 over it, at least I can see them ingame as I created them.
This shouldn't prevent a certain art style from appealing to you, and you from appreciating art. Remember the sprites in BG1-2? Yeah, compared to BG1-2's sprites/paperdolls, whatever we get in KM and WotR is a huge step up, so no complaints from me, that's for sure. On the other hand, even if a portrait reflects precisely how the sprite looks and vice versa, yet the art style doesn't appeal to you, then there really isn't anything special to talk about, is there?

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Yes the two games are completely separate. They're both TT game modules for Pathfinder published by Paizo. No game connections between them at all. Only setting connections because they're both in the Golarion world of Pathfinder.

For a very long time I also played only D&D cRPGs and didn't bother with any other games because I just loved the FR setting very much. But following the last expansion of NwN2, when no further good D&D cRPGs were being made by anyone, I started to look for alternatives to D&D cRPGs. That's how I ended up a fan of the DA games and the Witcher games, the PoE games, and now the Pathfinder games. I've never played Pathfinder TT like I have D&D TT, and so don't have the same connection to the Pathfinder setting like I do with FR, but it is turning out to be a fun and interesting setting after all.

Glad of that, makes it easier not to feel like I'm missing too much (beyond just general unfamiliarity with the setting, but I'm aware of that) by not playing Kingmaker first.

And yeah, I understand - while I didn't particularly limit myself to D&D cRPGs, they were my preference and it's only the past few years I started expanding out to other cRPGs. I do think Pillars had a lot to do with that, however; in addition to buying the EEs of BG1 and 2 (I have my old discs somewhere, but...), I grabbed IWD despite my initial distaste for a more "combat-oriented" cRPG, as well as Planescape: Torment. Eventually planning to get Disco Elysium. Plus of course, there was DOS2, Tyranny, probably a couple others I'm forgetting that I have in my Steam library.

And while not cRPGs, Witcher and DA and the sorts were of course big draws - sometimes it feels hard lately to find a good fantasy RPG, so when outstanding ones come along, I usually try them out just as a matter of obligation.

I love JRPGs too, of course, but sometimes you just want a good Western-style medieval low-tech magical fantasy world, you know?

I am impatiently waiting for September 2nd now, though!

Originally Posted by _Vic_
Yeah the art of owlcat games is still top notch (not only for companions, the NPCs and the art in general)

That said, I know with the current technological advances in gaming you can have realistic pictures, but I am still a sucker for "artistic" portraits, Not only quality portraits for your companions, but the possibility of adding your own portraits to the characters. It´s something I missed not only in BG3, in other games like Solasta.

While better graphics and a closer approach to "realism" is nice, I echo the sentiment of preferring gorgeous artwork or stylized portraits to just a render of the in-game model. Art just allows for a lot more freedom than in-game modelling, in terms of flow and the 'feel' of the character, if that makes sense. One of my biggest sidetracks for any old cRPGs is trying to find a decent selection of portraits for my custom character; there is just so much more feeling to be found in artwork, at least for me.

Both methods take plenty of time and care on the part of the artist/modeller, of course, but we all have our preferences.

old hand
old hand
I think the thing that still gets me the most about BG3's cast is that out of all of the fantasy races they could have gone with, we already have 2 and a half humans out of 5 characters (which is literally half the current companion cast), and datamines indicate we're going to get one more.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 26/08/21 07:11 AM.
S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I think the thing that still gets me the most about BG3's cast is that out of all of the fantasy races they could have gone with, we already have 2 and a half humans out of 5 characters (which is literally half the current companion cast), and datamines indicate we're going to get one more.

Considering all full companions are romanceable, not going totally bonkers with diversity is a good thing. I like the fact the BG3 companions aren't token characters/stereotypes like in some other RPGs that blatantly force identity politics on the player. The individual personality and story is seriously complex and what matters most.

If anything, the most glaring lack in the BG3 companion roster can be found in romanceable options for male/straight players. Unless you're into being the submissive partner of rough "alien" sex, you've got one option. The rumored inclusion of another two female companions; a horned tiefling and a "furry" halfling, will do little to remedy that situation, whereas the three male companions are all more palatable for romance.

Different perspectives.

Page 19 of 105 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard