Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 21 of 105 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 104 105
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sozz
There's some interesting reference material in the extras to go through in the mean time. My biggest worry for this game is keeping my expectations in check considering how much it's been talked up around here.
Expectations that are unreasonably high are always the core problem that keep people from enjoying anything in life, video games included. wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MarbleNest
Originally Posted by _Vic_
Originally Posted by Don Bartenstein
Hmmm... GOG Galaxy is now downloading a "pre load".......
If you are a backer you can preload the game in Gog, steam or epic games, you can redeem your key and choose the one you like the most

I´m going GOG, tbh.

You cannot play the entire game until September the 2nd at 18.00 CET so I think I will play the beta for a while, even tho the saved games would not work, it´s good to try characters.

Is it just for backers? Because I'm seeing an option to preload on Steam this morning, as well. (Though I will needs do that later after work, no time right now, but it's exciting!)

I do wish I had backed the game earlier/found out about it in time to, as I'm full chomping at the bit waiting for release. At least having the beta would have kept me occupied. Is it Thursday yet?
; v;
If you buy the game right now, i.e. pre-order, I can't imagine you don't get to preload.

veteran
veteran
Preloaded and ready to go since yesterday here. And now we wait.

Meanwhile, tomorrow it's supposed to be world premiere day for the gameplay footage for Firaxis' Midnight Suns.
Time to learn if I'm conclusively disappointed with what we got or if if XCOM 3 died for a good reason.

Last edited by Tuco; 31/08/21 02:52 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
stranger
stranger
S
Well I was interested in Pathfinder but I won't be buying the game after reading this discussion. To be honest the reason is what I have seen here, comparing apples and oranges and telling people orange is objectively a better fruit and some people off key belittling BG3 fandom pushed me away. I grew up playing cRPG's and Desktop FRP games, both games does things correctly or wrong. Both Pathfinder and Baldur's Gate 3 are enjoyable games but elitist people who thinks they have right to force their opinion on others aggressively telling people that they have to like WotF is wrong.

I played Baldur's Gate 1&2 several times, I don't think mechanics-wise BG3 is a successor but for me it doesn't have to be 1-1 same mechanics. What I experienced from BG3 is a semblance of a desktop FRP game. Classes are what I expect them to be, characters are fun, since we only played the opening act we only scratched the surface.

Pathfinder Kingmaker was the cRPG I love. I enjoyed the game, characters and environments.

I will not play WotF, am I missing out, certainly. It will be the first cRPG I will not play. Thanks to the fans of the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sancrest
It will be the first cRPG I will not play. Thanks to the fans of the game.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by Sancrest
It will be the first cRPG I will not play. Thanks to the fans of the game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_role-playing_video_games

I use this list to find games to play. Please feel free to add missing games if you know more.

Btw; making fun of someone you don't know really shows your character.

Last edited by Sancrest; 31/08/21 05:06 PM.
old hand
old hand
I mean if you are choosing to interpret this discussion as a very personal thing to the point that you are willing to deprive yourself of something you know you’d otherwise enjoy because of… Vague principles?

I mean, if you think people here advocating for the game are trying to stick it to anyone else here, then I will just be blunt, you have to realize that you are definitely trying to do that yourself in the other direction too. And the way you’re going about this cannot really be interpreted any other way. That’s not really the fault of anyone else here, and I wouldn’t try acting high and mighty about it.

Like this wasn’t some one sided thing either, unless you literally missed that entire discussion a few pages back about how the Pathfinder games very poorly interpret some aspects of the rule set to the point where it results in enemies having stat bloat to the level where BG3’s issues with that concept look nonexistent.

You’ve gone and lambasted someone for passing judgement on you, as someone we don’t know. But you’ve passed judgment on the people in this thread, so I think they know enough and are well within their rights to do the same to you. If you truly believed your words, you wouldn’t be posting in here in the hopes that people would convince you otherwise, or you’re really just here to stir up some drama yourself. Which is it, really?

I feel with the advent of the internet, the world has been losing its grip on the concept of pragmatism.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 31/08/21 06:20 PM.
veteran
veteran
Don't take the bait, people.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tuco
Don't take the bait, people.

I mean it could be bait, but it needs to get called out at least once. The next response would reveal if this is just a display of self importance to people they don’t know on the internet, or if there was actually a practical goal in all this.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 31/08/21 06:09 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I mean if you are choosing to interpret this discussion as a very personal thing to the point that you are willing to deprive yourself of something you know you’d otherwise enjoy because of… Vague principles?

I mean, if you think people here advocating for the game are trying to stick it to anyone else here, then I will just be blunt, you have to realize that you are definitely trying to do that yourself in the other direction too. And the way you’re going about this cannot really be interpreted any other way. That’s not really the fault of anyone else here, and I wouldn’t try acting high and mighty about it.

Like this wasn’t some one sided thing either, unless you literally missed that entire discussion a few pages back about how the Pathfinder games very poorly interpret some aspects of the rule set to the point where it results in enemies having stat bloat to the level where BG3’s issues with that concept look nonexistent.

If you truly believed your words, you wouldn’t be posting in here in the hopes that people would convince you otherwise, or you’re really just here to stir up some drama yourself. Which is it, really?

I feel with the advent of the internet, the world has been losing its grip on the concept of pragmatism.

Sorry if my words came out as I am advocating the opposite, English is not my native language and sometimes I fail to tell what I exactly mean.

To be honest I missed quite some posts. That is my bad due to some posts literally triggering me(which is again my fault for being that thin skinned about this)

I have calmed down and read the whole discussion and yes, tribalism is not one sided. Both games have their vices and virtues I enjoyed Pathfinder: Kingmaker and I enjoyed BG3's first act. I am grateful that both companies genuinely trying to make good games for us to enjoy.
What I felt when I started skimming is that some people (maybe unintentionally) suggested that "You have to like WotF. It is the best game and BG3 is garbage) These games are not mutually exclusive and I think I have the right to enjoy both. That's why I don't like X vs. Y threads.
Most of the criticism on both games are legit, but some are really obvious strawmans (the woke thing in the first post is the most obvious example).

I will apologise for my bad wording, aggressive tone and inability to clearly explain what I meant. I just hope both games end up being great. Plus I would love to be convinced to play this game since I wanted to dive into WotF completely blind XD I have no clue about anything, right now that is the reason I am using Kingmaker instead of WotF.

old hand
old hand
The woke arguments were just dumb. It's a pretty clear sign that anyone who seriously argued about it didn't actually play the games, or were applying very selective memory to it. Like, it's fairly obvious the thread started out as a thinly veiled means to bash Larian for supposed wokeness (and there's a reason why there's a lot of posts earlier on that are essentially asking the OP what the hell they are even talking about, because nothing about BG3 screams that it wants to even be a part of this argument, and everyone who has actually played the WotR beta would argue that the entire Pathfinder setting in general is probably one of the most 'woke' franchises in existence, however the hell that's even supposed to matter in terms of the quality of both games in the end), but the forum has been pretty good at hijacking the thread away from that direction and arguing the merits of both games based on stuff that actually matters.

Like honestly, I'm actually really pissed that the thread started out framed in that way, because it gives a completely wrong impression on both games and their communities. Like maybe we would have been served better by having the thread locked earlier on and someone else remaking it without that baggage.

EDIT: Actually, I'm rather livid now because I took a trip to Solasta discord and found that one of these posters shat up their off-topic chat section with this crap about 10 days ago too, while trash talking the game, and returned this morning to do it again in the general section. At least no one took the bait there, because people there at least have a strong grip on reality.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/09/21 12:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
Meanwhile, tomorrow it's supposed to be world premiere day for the gameplay footage for Firaxis' Midnight Suns.
Time to learn if I'm conclusively disappointed with what we got or if if XCOM 3 died for a good reason.
Good to know. The cinematic trailer... didn't sell the game to me very well.

Eh, I am not sure if anything died. And while I enjoyed XCOM1&2 let them give a break - they did two XCOMs back to back. They must be glad to do something different.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Responding to Sancrest—-This thread has done the exact opposite for me. I love reading comparisons of games from the fandom because they dig into all the nitty gritty details that rags like PCGamer and the like never discuss in reviews. This and the Solasta thread made me want to play all three games tbh.

There are also the hilariously unabashed posts from folks who take it all very seriously and are highly opinionated (and possibly a bit mad). Always good for a good chortle. (I mean this sincerely, not meanly).

Last edited by timebean; 31/08/21 11:00 PM.
veteran
veteran
Your perspective changes if you've played the games they're nit-picking. Something that seems like a big deal because of the pages of discourse around it here, are but a footnote in your own experience with the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Meh…I love that kinda stuff. I will talk for hours about little details in the books/games/movies I enjoy. I get the impulse! Lol

veteran
veteran
Can any of us here honestly claim otherwise? :p

addict
addict
Preloaded and ready to go since yesterday here. And now we wait.

I am actually excited to see the gameplay. Let's see.

addict
addict
Nice basic WoTr guide if starting out with this series.

veteran
veteran
i'm excited, i've basically avoided any spoilers at all, i really know nothing about it other than the character art looks awesome smile Hopefully i can play a bit before classes get too crazy!

old hand
old hand
So the review embargo lifted for WotR about an hour and a half ago. So far the only reviews are from major cRPG enthusiasts. Nothing from the really major outlets yet, probably waiting until launch tomorrow.

Text reviews (deliberately avoiding posting any reviews from websites that have ads splattered all over the damn place)

Video reviews:

---

---

TL;DR the game's an across the board improvement over Kingmaker. Very little about any bugs, actually.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/09/21 06:10 PM.
Page 21 of 105 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard