Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
If you like to RP and are a fan of immersion, do this: purposefully encumber yourself and enjoy the beautiful world of BG3 at a nice, leisurely pace. Walking is the most evolved form of movement, both in video games and in life, so why wouldn't you do this?

Consider your options. You could take command of a party of mighty adventurers, and then send them goofily jogging through halls and forest lanes, limbs flailing like a group of ungainly children, forever trotting towards the horizon at a frankly bizarre pace, not fast enough to convey urgency, but far too fast to convey normalcy... OR... you could make them walk. You could travel the beautiful Autumnal forests and ancient castle halls at a sensible, natural pace. You already look like real people (basically), so why not perambulate like real people do?

Real people don't run everywhere. Just try walking. If you don't like it, you've lost nothing but a few meters of artificial distance. If you do like it, you'll appreciate the game even more. Also it makes combat more challenging.

stranger
stranger
We enjoy walking and admiring the Scenery so much in a certain "real" World, that we can hardly comprehend how dangerous the World of Faerun is.

Every step can bring You into an Ambush. Make you meet a dangerous Fairy, or trigger the Traps of a wicked, evil Magic-Caster.

The World of Faerun is beautiful without Compare, but it should be enjoyed with care. ^^

enthusiast
enthusiast
Walking sims are specifically designed for this (first person, atmospheric, full of detail). BG3 and games like it not so much.

Although I get the sentiment. I did thoroughly enjoy my playthru of TW3 with no HUD and no music. That was epic.

“Winds howling”. Indeed Geralt. Indeed. 😊

Last edited by timebean; 10/09/21 12:04 AM.
Implementing a hotkey for changing the preset from running to walking and vice versa shouldn't be too hard..

veteran
veteran
I would love to see a game that really went for more naturalistic motion and nailed it, esp during exploration. In addition to walking, one thing that always bugs is how unsneaky the sneak animations look. Like the default is just to crouch a little and walk all hunched over, when it would be so much cooler if the sneaking PC used different pathing to make them hug the walls and remain in the shadows if there are any, but if not, to use the environment or other cues to still make it look convincing. Especially when 'sneaking' through a crowd, which I picture as 'not calling attention to oneself.' If the PC is using sneak animations as if they were constantly walking Point in a Vietnam war movie or something, that sort of dispels the sneaky factor if the environment doesn't fit.

But yeah, nothing says MMO dumb more than jogging around. I agree that the run isn't fast enough to indicate urgency. Like Dash should really look like a dash too. A game that actually used an appropriate speed for a real "run" in short bursts would be pretty impressive.

I think there are limits to what is believable based on the camera view. With a wide angle or iso view, having the PCs dart around at warp speed starts to look like a bad cgi rollercoaster sequence in a Hollywood movie, which is almost worse than an artificially slow jog. I remember the NWN RP themed PWs where running through the town square was considered like the ultimate player character faux pas hehe.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 10/09/21 11:29 PM.
old hand
old hand
Only in The Forgotten Realms does one smell and stop the roses.

[Linked Image from mojobob.com]

veteran
veteran
in this game? No, not at all. I don't find the scenery impressive really. Skyrim, Final Fantasy XIV, lotro, etc, yes. I often will stop and admire the scenery, or purposely walk through an area. this game has a very artificial feel to it to me.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 10/09/21 11:45 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
in this game? No, not at all. I don't find the scenery impressive really. Skyrim, Final Fantasy XIV, lotro, etc, yes. I often will stop and admire the scenery, or purposely walk through an area. this game has a very artificial feel to it to me.

For all the guff the "aged" visuals of Baldur's Gate 2 get, I enjoyed strolling through that game's environments.

https://preview.redd.it/7hxaqweq5oj...f0f23c27a5e41577c5d18f86dbee1c8bc786c935

[Linked Image from rockpapershotgun.com]

[Linked Image from rockpapershotgun.com]

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

For all the guff the "aged" visuals of Baldur's Gate 2 get, I enjoyed strolling through that game's environments.

Totally!

veteran
veteran
I think part of it is the choice of camera perspective. Like in BG2 especially, the godmode cam was panned way back, which allowed for that sweeping landscape or architectural vibe. The gameworld has the character of a model miniature and the characters are also very very small. Like dungeons like little Piranesi prisons. Like a puppet show or model trainset almost.

The beauty in the vistas or the architectural type views. Whereas in a game like skyrim the view was clearly more driving or POV. It shined more in the cinema view, like a tight cinematic first person type perspective with the cam following the horizonline basically.

Not sure if anyone here has heard of Termes? Like of the termes spheres? I always felt like what Everquest, WOW, Skyrim etc did was to put the PC within the center of the sphere. So they could do all the curvilinear and field of view tricks and make it seem real that way. But its a different kind of experience when you're at the eye in the sky remove.

I think why BG3 feels a little weird is because its a combo of both, but the zoomed out panaram isn't quite zoomed enough to give the full godmode impression, and the POV driving view is just a little to awkward to navigate in with the current cam. I almost would like to play this game in a first person view like the old MM games, which is almost never the case for me anymore. Even though that view wouldn't fit the BG vibe, I think I might enjoy the environments more. I just want to be able to look up half the time heheh

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard