Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
A couple of simple quality of life fixes:

1. Provide an option to automatically send supplies to the traveler's chest in camp. We're going to do that anyway to save weight, and an automated option makes it much less fussy to do.
2. Since we're likely to keep all the camp supplies in the traveler's chest, include the supplies in the chest when selecting for a long rest.

R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
~!@#$%^&*()_+ yes.

veteran
veteran
Better remove camp supply if you can easily carry and magicaly teleport every supply bags + tons of food in your camp chest...

No, I never put them in my chest to save weight. Weight and ressources management is exactly what makes camp supply interresting.

We should only be able to keep those bags in our inventory.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/09/21 04:07 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
Great suggestion +1

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
veteran
veteran
+1!

veteran
veteran
All right. Upon further consideration of this whole thing, I think I see where Larian and many others are coming from with Item Management, the Camping Supplies system, etc. Also, after playing Pathfinder, I can also see now the pointlessness of the whole current BG3 system.

Basically, there are two pathways. Larian should pick one or the other:

1. Implement Random Encounters every time you try to Fast Travel and/or Send to Camp
or
2. Just get rid of useless items, camping supplies, and a massive portion of item management altogether.

If you don't implement Random Encounters every time you try to Fast Travel and/or Send to Camp, then there is no reason why you shouldn't just have an auto-function in place that just automatically sends all the useless junk and camping supplies to camp. And if you auto-send to camp, then what's the point of even having those items in the game to begin with because all you're going to do is have a bunch of stuff you never even look at in your camp storage? What are you going to do with all that useless junk? Sell it or consume it every night, and unless you are planning on really abusing the Long Rest system, you will likely have enough camping supplies to last you a year within the first few areas of the game map.

So what's the point of even bothering with camping supplies or useless items at all? Just nix them all from the game and let the players focus on only items that are useful and important that they would want to maybe equip or keep on them for combat/dialogue purposes. If you aren't going to implement some sort of potential consequences/risk for Fast Travel and/or Send to Camp, then there is no point at all in even having useless junk/camping supplies because at that point they are simply a time wasting annoyance.

However, if you implement a system where a person risks getting into a fight every time they try to Fast Travel or Send to Camp, then it suddenly becomes important to try to manage your loads and such while adventuring. If I know I risk getting into a fight if I send all my useless crap and camping supplies to camp, and I'm already weak, I might just keep them all with me and risk getting encumbered instead. Having that potential risk thus creates strategy because now I have to balance my desire to avoid a potentially difficult random fight with my desire to get rid of all that extra crap. I also can then make a decision to just leave behind useless crap because I don't want to risk Fast Traveling or Sending to Camp.

If you aren't going to implement a risk or consequence, and you just allow people to Send to Camp whenever they want and wherever they want, then like I said, just get rid of the entire useless junk/camping supplies system, because it's pointless and useless and a HUGE waste of time.

And honestly, at this point, either way, I'm fine because right now my biggest complaint with the game is turning into the constant slow and painful Item Management system full of spoons and knives and forks and plates and cups and bottles and camping supplies and cheeses and beefs and wines and so on and so forth that I acquire so much of it's coming out my ears.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Great suggestion +1
Nah, it's a terrible idea.
Way to make a system forgiving enough to be borderline redundant (and THIS is the issue that should be properly addressed) even more automated and pointless.

Last edited by Tuco; 09/09/21 09:54 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Better remove camp supply if you can easily carry and magicaly teleport every supply bags + tons of food in your camp chest...

No, I never put them in my chest to save weight. Weight and ressources management is exactly what makes camp supply interresting.

+1

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by GM4Him
All right. Upon further consideration of this whole thing, I think I see where Larian and many others are coming from with Item Management, the Camping Supplies system, etc. Also, after playing Pathfinder, I can also see now the pointlessness of the whole current BG3 system.

Basically, there are two pathways. Larian should pick one or the other:

1. Implement Random Encounters every time you try to Fast Travel and/or Send to Camp
or
2. Just get rid of useless items, camping supplies, and a massive portion of item management altogether.

If you don't implement Random Encounters every time you try to Fast Travel and/or Send to Camp, then there is no reason why you shouldn't just have an auto-function in place that just automatically sends all the useless junk and camping supplies to camp. And if you auto-send to camp, then what's the point of even having those items in the game to begin with because all you're going to do is have a bunch of stuff you never even look at in your camp storage? What are you going to do with all that useless junk? Sell it or consume it every night, and unless you are planning on really abusing the Long Rest system, you will likely have enough camping supplies to last you a year within the first few areas of the game map.

So what's the point of even bothering with camping supplies or useless items at all? Just nix them all from the game and let the players focus on only items that are useful and important that they would want to maybe equip or keep on them for combat/dialogue purposes. If you aren't going to implement some sort of potential consequences/risk for Fast Travel and/or Send to Camp, then there is no point at all in even having useless junk/camping supplies because at that point they are simply a time wasting annoyance.

However, if you implement a system where a person risks getting into a fight every time they try to Fast Travel or Send to Camp, then it suddenly becomes important to try to manage your loads and such while adventuring. If I know I risk getting into a fight if I send all my useless crap and camping supplies to camp, and I'm already weak, I might just keep them all with me and risk getting encumbered instead. Having that potential risk thus creates strategy because now I have to balance my desire to avoid a potentially difficult random fight with my desire to get rid of all that extra crap. I also can then make a decision to just leave behind useless crap because I don't want to risk Fast Traveling or Sending to Camp.

If you aren't going to implement a risk or consequence, and you just allow people to Send to Camp whenever they want and wherever they want, then like I said, just get rid of the entire useless junk/camping supplies system, because it's pointless and useless and a HUGE waste of time.

And honestly, at this point, either way, I'm fine because right now my biggest complaint with the game is turning into the constant slow and painful Item Management system full of spoons and knives and forks and plates and cups and bottles and camping supplies and cheeses and beefs and wines and so on and so forth that I acquire so much of it's coming out my ears.

I can rather intuitively understand the point of the camp supplies system, mostly from something a lot of people experience in pen and paper D&D: using a long rest after every fight. Having a limit on supplies forces you to be a little more careful about just hopping into a long rest rather than just spamming it after every battle, which adds a bit of dilemma of choice to the gameplay. How far do I push it before using up supplies for a rest? I kind of like this dynamic.

I can see the point of adding a cost to sending supplies back to camp, however I have a feeling the developers want to avoid random encounters to prevent people from just level grinding on them. Maybe if they were zero xp that might work. Otherwise, people might just grind encounters to make the rest of the game effortless.

Last edited by Gunthrek; 09/09/21 11:18 PM.
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice

I both agree and disagree. I personally have never played a game of D&D where we tracked supplies. It was generally just assumed that we had enough to get us through. Some people like more realism; others hate it. Perhaps an toggle option for camp supplies, or something tied to whatever difficulty system they implement later, would be the ideal solution to accommodate the most players. I personally have zero interest in an inventory management mini-game...I'm here for the story and tactical combat.

veteran
veteran
This is something written in every thread in which the words "random encounters" are said...

Who the hell is grinding xp trough random encounters ?After years and years reading video games forums almost every day I never read ANYONE saying he's grinding random encounter.

And even is someone do it... why the hell should you care ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/09/21 11:21 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Great suggestion +1
Nah, it's a terrible idea.
Way to make a system forgiving enough to be borderline redundant (and THIS is the issue that should be properly addressed) even more automated and pointless.

I won't have a gripe if they choose to simply remove the "Send to Camp" option, but as long as it's an option I'd prefer it to be automated. Added difficulty and decision making by requiring us to carry supplies on our person is fine; mindless repetition via interface just to use a convenience feature is not. They should go fully one way or the other.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
This is something written in every thread in which the words "random encounters" are said...

Who the hell is grinding xp trough random encounters ?After years and years reading video games forums almost every day I never read ANYONE saying he's grinding random encounter.

And even is someone do it... why the hell should you care ?

I have no idea who is. I simply said it MIGHT be a concern for the developers. It affects my personal gameplay not one iota, so I don't care in the slightest. It was simply a hypothesis as to why they might choose not to implement it.

veteran
veteran
Honestly, Random encounters isn't the point. The point is, with no limitations there is no value in all the useless junk and camping supplies. If I can just Send to Camp any time I want or port to camp at will, why bother with weight, useless gear, food, all of it. The point of that stuff is to provide some element of realism and immersion, but if all it is is a waste of time, get rid of it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gunthrek

I both agree and disagree. I personally have never played a game of D&D where we tracked supplies. It was generally just assumed that we had enough to get us through. Some people like more realism; others hate it. Perhaps an toggle option for camp supplies, or something tied to whatever difficulty system they later, would be the ideal solution to accommodate the most players. I personally have zero interest in an inventory management mini-game...I'm here for the story and tactical combat.

Food supply is not a mini game supposed to increase "realism".
It's the solution they choose to implement the action economy of DnD into BG3 (spellslots management, long/short rest features).

Food supply is a bandage required because there is no time in the game. If time was a thing food supply would not exist at all and they'll use the rules of DnD : 1 long rest / 24h.
Bug time isn't a thing in Larian's DnD campaign accross the FR...

Don't get me wrong : I totally don't care about food management... I care about the spellslot system, the long/short rest features, the uniqueness of classes, the action economy and the tactical value of the system.

Unfortunately nothing can be build arround hoursin BG3 and that's why they choose to add the food supply.
If food supply does not create REAL limitations : the system is useless because that's exactly why it was created. Limiting long rests is the only goal of this new patch 5 mechanic.

Create a day and night cycle and get rid of this system would probably please everyone.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 10/09/21 10:55 AM.

veteran
veteran
Removing "Send to camp" button is just the same as removing "fast travel" button ...
It adds nothing to game.
Its nice you see it as something that will add "Weight and ressources management" for you to make game more "interresting" ...

But lets face it for a second ...
There is litteraly NOTHING in the world that can stop me from simply travel to camp every single time my backback is full of various food, to just stuck it in camp stash, and then simply travel back to world and continue my adventure ...
Same as there is litteraly NOTHING that stops me from looting every single corpse, chest or other containers i find and simply keep hiting "take all" until all my characters are full then simply travel to vendor, sell it all, and continue my adventure ... smile

The only thing that "sending marked stuff to camp autmaticaly" adds, is that i would no longer need to spend my gametime by traveling there and puting it to that stash manualy ... therefore you dont create here any deep immersion, or anything like that ... its simple quality of life improvement ... nothing more, nothing less. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/09/21 10:57 AM.

veteran
veteran
And that is exactly my point. If there is nothing stopping me from manually running to a fast travel location and manually going to camp and manually putting things in a chest then what's the point of even having all the useless junk and camping supplies and weight limitations? Just remove all of that from the game OR you need to have some consequences/risk if you Send to Camp or Fast Travel. There is literally no point in any of it if there are no consequences or risk associated with Send to Camp and Fast Travel.

veteran
veteran
seems to me like you are just looking for excuses to push topic back to random encounters. -_-

veteran
veteran
Nope. Just making a point that they should do something or just get rid of all the pointless stuff.

Nobody likes Random Encounters it seems, and it's not like I really love them. The point of them is to create risk to then create limits to spamming long rests and doing exactly what we are saying, just throwing all weighty gear in storage.

So, it doesn't have to be random encounters. It could be something else. All I'm saying is they either need to do something to make managing all that useless gear and camping supplies important or just get rid of it.

veteran
veteran
Let me give you a few examples of what I mean:

In Pathfinder, I have to carry all my gear and camping supplies as I travel around the world. There is one place where there is a merchant at the moment, and often I am far away from him. If I want to dump my gear into storage or sell stuff, I need to make my way all the way back to that merchant/inn. On the way, I might run into random encounters. I also have time limits in the game. So, going back and forth to the inn/merchant costs time and I might get attacked. There is risk and consequences for constantly going back to the inn/merchant to dump gear, so I need to manage all my gear and camp supplies wisely; using strategy and tactics and weighing the risk of dumping stuff versus being encumbered.

But let's say they made it so I could just Send to Camp or Fast Travel to the inn without any time limits or random encounters to worry about. I could just click a button and be there in a moment or send all useless gear/camping supplies to the storage with the push of a button. So, any time I pick up anything useless, I could just instantly send it to camp.

Then what's the point of encumbrance, weight limits, or even selling all that useless junk. If I can instantly send it to camp and then go to camp and pick it up and take it to the merchant and sell it without limit or consequence, then why not just avoid all the useless junk to begin with? Why make us pick it all up and manage it and so on and so forth?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard