Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Like I said I played a bit more than 100 hours, I know how to make infinite money without being caught, one shot or one burst nearly every boss and now I'm here to share my experience with everyone and make a report of it (to interact with other players and report few things like bugs I noticed):

My first part will treat about minor things (bugs mainly) for the larian team:

The ladders: many ladders whatever forms they take (lianas or real ladders) became many times a portal for another dimension for my characters if it wasn't impossible to use few of them like in the underground of the witch house (this area is probably the most unstable of the whole game between the fall across the map, the lianas that you can't climb and other things, it was a bit of hell to cross this zone alone because the characters became frequently suicidal and jump from insane height to follow you).

Few ladders can be use but your character will fall to his first position with his movement used. This make the player lose a turn.
It is the case for the ladder near the goblin that can lick your feet or near the hogoblin with the mind flayer.

Also the case in the first area against the first imp while you climb the platform to reach one of them you can get stuck.

Bug with the chests: When you open a chest or other inventory then you switch to another character without closing it, you won't be able to open it again.

Bug of range: some corpses around houses in the devastated city are out of range whereas you are near them.
Same for some items that are considered too high or too far even if you are near them or if they are just above you (like the bag you can discover in the priestress room with the troll that is unreachable or few others that are on shelves but can't be takken).

Bug of NPCS: Some npcs go through the map while fighting them.
It's the case for the bandits in the underground while they use the ladder near the fighter at the end of the cavern, they will go across the map and be able to hit you. However the opposite will be impossible. The only way for debug is to go far to make the npc follow you and come back on the map.
Same bug for the githyanki's fight.

Bug of the long rests in multiplayers games:
While we play in mulptiplayer the long rests became unstable (we see our characters asleep but nothing happen and we have to reload the game)

Now about the gameplay:

I won't complain about the dice because it's the dnd rules and it's a part of the adventure.
Thanks to that you will be able to have many different games. It is for me a good point

(Basically the game is extremely good already)

However there are few things to notice.

The main problem that make the game redundant is his gameplay mechanics.
Indeed the fact that there is only two main strategies to win (having the high ground or use your characters one by one to enter in the fight) made the gameplay to much similar from one fight to another.
And if you don't, the game will be extremely hard and will require an excessive optimization of every characters.

The consequence is that the game is whether too easy when you exploit those mechanics (npcs prefer waiting face to the wall rather than finding a way to reaching you) and you just have to make sure that at the end of your turn nobody can touch you and repeat the process endlessly (a bit boring). I would prefer be able to go on the frontline but even as a warrior you won't stand long for most of the big fights.

Or the game is nearly impossible if you don't optimize your characters and just pick a fight (you will be outnumbered most of the time and you will always have the tactical inferiority).

The side effect:

I ended up to play more defensive and spend more time to place everyone in the best place for every new areas that I discovered than enjoying the story and the different landscapes because the game push you to avoid every fight without preparation and most of the interactions with creatures lead to fight. It break a bit the immersion.

Evolution and respec:

For newbies mainly, it would be awesome to have a respec possibility because it's already hard when you never played dnd before (like me) to optimize your character and not making him useless because of a mistake during your leveling (like when I pick GWM for my wizard as I thought that it would make me proficient with great weapons... I lost one level and made my character a bit useless compared to others) but it's even harder (nearly impossible) to imagine how you will play your character with the mechanics allowed by the leveling that you never experimented before.

The consequence is that in the end you will play only with some characters and the others will only be there to tank some damage and carry some stuff.

Finally (it's link to the previous point) some class are completely unbalanced like ranger.
Rogues will make all the sneaky content better plus, thanks to their second bonus action, they will make as much if not more damage with a bigger chance to hit.
And warriors will make way more damage.

About the warrior :
he is the opposite of the ranger.
With only him and a cleric to buff him (not totally required since you can have sword of justice) and a wizard to make him frequently invisible you can end the entire game without any real difficulties.

With just a scroll of mirror image the warrior can smash five times in a turn and deal more damage than any boss can endure.
It would not be a problem as long as other class could be able to end the game also by themselves.

One solution could be (it's just an idea) to give the player to advance more without fighting and give charisma characters more chances to interact peacefully and seduce or convince.
Also it would be awesome to be able to use disguise to be one of the goblins or a minotaur or anything else and having special dialogues that allow the player to go on without beginning a war every hundred meters.

HOWEVER

I precise that the game is awesome. I'm looking forward to try the others class and continue the story. Everything I said here is just in the purpose to make better something already very good (if not I would never spend 100h+ in this game).

Last edited by Joke_Air; 08/09/21 07:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Joke_Air
The main problem that make the game redundant is his gameplay mechanics.
Indeed the fact that there is only two main strategies to win (having the high ground or use your characters one by one to enter in the fight) made the gameplay to much similar from one fight to another.

Thank you for pointing this,I totally agree.

All Larian seems able to do is creating optimal and sub-optimal choices and a difficulty that only depends if you're gonna nuke your ennemy or be nuked first.

If only they had build this game like a DnD campaign...

Last edited by Maximuuus; 09/09/21 03:58 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Joke_Air
And if you don't, the game will be extremely hard and will require an excessive optimization of every characters.
This is something i find indeed curious ...
So many people around here is complaining about game being "extremely hard" in such cases ... what does it even mean?

Since i concider myself being a noob ... i have almost none experience with DnD, even less with pure DnD, and even tho i do play many RPG there isnt many like BG-3 out there (at least not in my opinion) ...
Yet, in my few first playthrough i runned openly into every fight that was there and even tho some (namely Gith, Minotaurs and Bulette) was toughter and required me to think a little in advance ... i would never say "extremely hard". O_o

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
It is like maximus said. A lot of fight will be extremely easy depending on how you begin the fight. There is many way to do it but they aren't equal and some are merely impossible.
Try to win against the goblin camp with a warlock if you pick a fight without taking position. You will probably have a hard time whereas if you begin from the top of the fortress there will be no difficulties at all.
So if you want to be spontaneous the game will be way harder and in some case nearly impossible (especially if your character aren't a bit optimized).

In the end of course it depend of the player and maybe I missed some strategies to make the game easier but from my point of view the game could be very rude if you don't take advantage of his mechanics.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Honestly first thing my Warlock would do in such situation is Misty Step to high ground. laugh
So tedious could theoreticaly be first round, until i get my turn ... but hardly anything more. smile

And yes i did pick a fight without taking position in goblin camp ...
When i created all Gith party, i decided to kill Crusher instead of humiliating him ... and the battle was fun (Party: Lae'zel, Evocation Wizard, Life Cleric & Hunter Ranger). ^_^

N
stranger
stranger
N
I feel like if the enemies we are facing are at an extreme disadvantage they should probably flee. Like the last enemy in the group who is has 1 hit point should probably flee or beg for thier life. This would offer a nice morality system where sparing an enemy you get favor from your Patereon God or something.
An example would be the single goblin guard that attacked my party in the blighted village instead of calling for help or running away like a guard would.

veteran
veteran
Ennemies fleeing in turn base would be terribly boring.

Anyway nothing is hard anymore after 1 year playing the game but the difficulty depend metagaming way too much.

Advantages you can easily have when you know the encounters are too powerfull.
Highground, sneak to get good position, sneak to shove, surprise, dip before battle and so on...

On the other hand the disadvantage you have not knowing the encounters are too strong.
Low ground will kill you really fast, some ennemies can OS a part of your companions round 1,...
(i.e minotaurs if your party is packed when engaged)

Metagaming and/or sneaking gives you OP advantages while just playing and exploring the world often lead to strong disadvantage.

BG3 does not have a lot of nuance when we're talking about the difficulty and if you don't know the battle before it begin, you'll often have a hard time.

IMO they should remove the DnD advantage/disadvantage for highground, rework the OP shove and the ridiculous dipping, remove the OP consummables / surfaces items or make them rarer and rebalance some creatures features (minotaurs super jump, gnolls three attacks,...).

This would rebalance combats and give players a bit more time to think / a bit more viable possibilities to get out of a hard situation.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/09/21 07:30 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Ennemies fleeing in turn base would be terribly boring.
Agreed ...
But he still could at least cry for help ... i believe those on roofs should be able to hear yelling goblin from the well (its in Bow range after all, how long is it now ... 18m?) ... they could join the combat, and call for help once again few of them die, since they realize by that time that you are stronger than you look ... then goblins from other roof (and possibly those on ground under Apothecary) should join ...
Well, in short ... i would not mind at all, if you had to gradually fight whole Willage. laugh O:)

The problem here would be those Ogres. laugh
But i could imagine them not caring about puny Goblins ... theoreticaly, but you should have slightly harder rolls afterwards, to perusate them that you are not their enemy. laugh

veteran
veteran
Ogres a problem...? Just go on the roof ! They can't climb and with the disadvantage they have for low ground the things they're throwing are not a danger at all !

Last edited by Maximuuus; 11/09/21 07:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard