Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 42 of 105 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 104 105
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
Originally Posted by MyriadHappenings
Question for people much farther along... how good would you say Ember's character arc is? Her writing tends to touch on a lot of personal pet peeves and I'm considering just not picking her up as a companion. Do they steer her away from the pure, child-like woman trope? Or elaborate on it in a way that feels fresh and new? Because so far I haven't been impressed.

Her behavior remains most of the same, but her reasoning behind it is something you generally have to unpack on your own. She's classified as an atheist for a reason. Her major loading screen quote essentially says something along the lines of how the gods cannot help you, only you yourself can.

Also... (Endgame spoilers related to player choices during her character arc resulting in significant reactivity)

All that stuff about discouraging her has a conclusion from what I hear. People have reported that by endgame, if you shut down her attempts to instill hope in people at every opportunity, she essentially becomes shattered. Enough to have her combat voice lines changed in a way that's described as someone crying without any hope in the future, and may be seeking to deliver people from their suffering.

omg that's awful! frown Who could discourage poor ember???

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by teclis23
My honest opinion from what i have seen so far;

Wrath of the righteous looks incredibly good and so does BG3.

WOTR does appear to be offering a lot more mechanics through mythics paths where you can become angels, devils and liches ect....it looks really really frickin good....like really good. WOTR also possibly looks to have better story writing and companions. Owlcat are based in Poland and arent necessarily all about diversity and gender neutral crap like Larian is. I think Larain have gone waaaayyyyy to far with this stuff and Owlcat have completely tuned it down eg Larian has gone woke and Owlcat are not woke.

BG3 on the other hand looks better visually and i think has more potential due to there budget.

Thoughts people?

I have played BG3 multiple times so I ask if you even own or played the game? What part of BG3 has anything to do with it being woke as I have seen none of it in game?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Alealexi
I have played BG3 multiple times so I ask if you even own or played the game? What part of BG3 has anything to do with it being woke as I have seen none of it in game?

Those dudes disappeared from this thread as soon as WotR launched for a reason. The whole woke angle was never about comparing WotR to BG3 on design that actually mattered, it was a poorly thought out attempt to use a game that they had never played that had yet to be released to fuel a tired talking point.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A

Those dudes disappeared from this thread as soon as WotR launched for a reason. The whole woke angle was never about comparing WotR to BG3 on design that actually mattered, it was a poorly thought out attempt to use a game that they had never played that had yet to be released to fuel a tired talking point.

That is what it looks like.

Last edited by Alealexi; 16/09/21 11:34 PM.
old hand
old hand
Yeah, there was a reason why some of us were worried when beta 3 didn't expand into chapter 5 at the least. None of the late game paths have been extensively tested as a result, and transitioning into them would be the biggest reason to use the respec option.

So far it seems like the first 3 chapters are clear of bugs, but things start to get questionable once you transition into chapter 4.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 17/09/21 04:08 AM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>

From Owlcats history with Kingmaker that is to be expected. It will probably take them about a year to fix some bugs then release an enhance edition while leaving all the bugs intact and move on to developing a new game with another stupid management system.

I also think they didn't get that much of an extensive testing of their game since the cost to get into their early access was $114. People complained about the BG3 EA cost but didn't bat an eye on WotR EA cost.

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:36 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
So far it seems like the first 3 chapters are clear of bugs, but things start to get questionable once you transition into chapter 4.

I saw a thread in WotR where the red dragon was going 2d6+56 damage in chapter 3 and another creature was doing 1d3+30 damage. Seems to be bugged on other chapters before 4 as well.

old hand
old hand
I saw a thread in WotR where the red dragon was going 2d6+56 damage in chapter 3 and another creature was doing 1d3+30 damage. Seems to be bugged on other chapters before 4 as well.
I just ran into a Ferocious Schir with 31 AC in Daeren's manor when you go to meet him the first time, and I thought it made absolutely no sense it had got to be some sort of oversight. There is just no reason for the brawl at Daeran's manor to be a "challenging" fight to begin with, and even if there were, 31 AC just, again, makes no sense. Sure you can hit it with touch attacks but it's not like you go in there expecting something to have that kind of AC to prepare touch attacks in abundance. The only way I could beat this thing was reloading until Ember's Slumber worked then hoped that I'd be able to kill it with a Coup De Grace.

And only when I had to fight 2 babaus at Horgus' mansion did I recall that, someone said somewhere that the devs themselves said Hard mode hasn't really been balanced.

Anyway, after a few more hours (just hit level 5) I gotta say this game. Is. Unfinished. As. Hell. Wonder what reason they had to force this thing out the door in this state.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
veteran
veteran
Apologies that I've not read all 42 pages. If I'm stepping on points you've already discussed to death let me know.

I'm having a good time with pathfinder. I skipped Kingmaker but I really do get why people prefer Pathfinder to 3.5 raw.

Having said that I much prefer 5th ed to 3.5 I hate, hate 3.5 attacks of opportunity. Now Pathfinder / Owlcat have corrected those flaws as much as possible but it's still an overly powerful dynamic that transforms every fight into "how do I get get next to mage, how do I get my enemies prone" . . .

On size -- wow, it's big. Feels as big as BG2.

On bugs -- this is a still a beta, shouldn't have been released. I think there's a lesson there for Larian. I know it wants surprises but the pattern is pretty clear. The first chapter isn't so buggy but chapters 4 and 5 have game breaking bugs. If they had released all chapters in EA they wouldn't have these problems.

On writing -- uneven. Daerun is a blast and made me forget all about that vampire thief. Ember is really interesting -- best representation of a philosophical pessimist that I've ever seen.

On the structure of the writing I like the banters but I'm missing the in-depth talks -- you get a get a dump of biographical info

Sosiel is present, I guess. I thought I was really going to like Aru but so far she seems too waifu for my tastes. You can be a road to redemption without apologizing for occupying space. Why apologizing all the time a sign of goodness? Woljif has great voice acting and is a good representation of (one type) of chaotic neutral character

Camilla is the most over the top evil character I've ever experienced. You wanted an evil romance, well here you go . . . Worst companion ever.

The scientist just annoys me because I'm not sure how you could do experiments in a setting like that. Okay, as long this isn't being influenced by godly magic, arcane magic, spirit magic or hellish corruption the results of my experiment are . . .

It's not a turn based / RtwP game in the way PoE2 was. It's RtwP with a half implemented turn based option. Playing turn based play on endless trash mobs just drags. I'm save scumming to avoid random encounters because they are so very boring . . .

I hate the "you can't win this" yet battles. The dragon hunt was just annoying. "I'm about to win! No. No. I'm not" The game doesn't want me to win so I am now not winning. Oh and I've been tossed out of turn based mode into a beat the timer game and there's no "you need beat this in RtwP mode" notification. How. Very. Fun.

While I like the crusade theme I just prefer Faerun to the wasteland of Golarion.

Still. I like the complexity of the rules. I like playing in setting where alignment matters. I like that's an big, ambitious game. I like that it's isometric, DnDish roleplay. I like the philosophical undertones. I like mishmash of world building and dungeon diving.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by MyriadHappenings
Question for people much farther along... how good would you say Ember's character arc is? Her writing tends to touch on a lot of personal pet peeves and I'm considering just not picking her up as a companion. Do they steer her away from the pure, child-like woman trope? Or elaborate on it in a way that feels fresh and new? Because so far I haven't been impressed.

She's not really fleshed out. She's a child prophet preaching the gospel of philosophical pessimism. That's it. No real character development. I find her interesting because I find pessimism interesting but you're not into that you might find her a bit boring.

https://www.philosophizethis.org/po...-school-walter-benjamin-pt-1-tkewa-ctms6

(it's episode 155 despite what the link says, Emile Cioran)

R
old hand
old hand
R
I have the impression that the game is completely poorly designed. I wonder why anyone thought that putting a mass of enemies that can either damage stats or worse level in the first act is a good idea. The problem is that you don't have access to too many Restoration Scrolls (in the first act there are probably 4 in total). The fact that a single scroll heals only one drainage does not help either.
To make it more fun, there are only a few such enemies in Acts 2 and 3.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 17/09/21 10:12 AM.
veteran
veteran
I don't know why so many swear by Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I find the game to be very glitchy and though it has some elements I like, it is not as fun as BG3 is already, and Kingmaker is complete.

Like I said, there are some elements I like, and I will admit that it has more of a look and feel to it that is similar to BG1 and 2, but I have enemies doing attacks of opportunity on spellcasters almost constantly, even when my spellcasters are NOT in melee range. I have potions not work. I have situations were spells just don't get cast, with casters who have no armor.

I don't know. Maybe it's my computer or maybe I need to reinstall, but I find it a bit frustrating.

There are other things, but ultimately, I definitely like BG3 better.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Devs release buggy games because players will buy them in that state and will often then defend the buggyness like it is something we should all expect and deal with.

It should not be acceptable.

BG3 early access is one if the first games I bought in years pre review…after watching some pals play it, and I am pretty surprised at how few bugs there are when it is a year from release. Compared to, say, Fallout 76, TW3, MEA, CP77, etc, which released as pure shite (and some remained that way).

If gamers refused to buy unfinished games, they would actually start releasing finished ones.

Oh! And No Mans Sky….after watching that atrocious documentary that attempted to spin the release of a shitty broken game as some Cinderella story because the devs finally finished it piecemeal afterwards. Jaysus. What rubbish.

Anyway…sorry for side rant…still waiting for WotR to be finished to give it a try. Sound like it will eventually be a fun time when they get the bugs sorted out.

Last edited by timebean; 17/09/21 11:28 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Rhobar121
I have the impression that the game is completely poorly designed. I wonder why anyone thought that putting a mass of enemies that can either damage stats or worse level in the first act is a good idea. The problem is that you don't have access to too many Restoration Scrolls (in the first act there are probably 4 in total). The fact that a single scroll heals only one drainage does not help either.
There is an option in game difficulty to have stat drain effects removed on rest. I've turned it on after my character wasted the scrolls by fumbling the umd roll. The priest in the tavern you buy them from says he will cast them for you, but it was still my character who cast it. I am not sure if it was a bug or if this is how it's supposed to work.

enthusiast
enthusiast
What I wonder is what manner of shoehorned metagameplay will Owlcat attempt to implement in their next game after having made a dysfunctional clicker-strategy and a dysfunctional HoMM-like. Them managing to mess up the latter is a little surprising, actually - aren't they mostly made up of Nival alumni (the people behind HoMM 5 and many other great games from the oughts)? You'd think they'd design it competently.

Some people really hate the naval combat in PoE2, but compared to both the kingdom management and what I've seen of the crusade system, it's a neat little minigame with nicely thought-out mechanics. And you get to paint and outfit your ship.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ash elemental
There is an option in game difficulty to have stat drain effects removed on rest. I've turned it on after my character wasted the scrolls by fumbling the umd roll. The priest in the tavern you buy them from says he will cast them for you, but it was still my character who cast it. I am not sure if it was a bug or if this is how it's supposed to work.
In Kingmaker it picked the highest caster level person in the room for it. It didn't matter in the end because scrolls have a fixed caster level for everyone except a Scroll Savant subclass, so dispelling some curses with DC of something like 42 was impossible even with proper spells, let alone scrolls.

Why they didn't implement a temple menu akin to BG1/2 in their second game after the first one already had a system that was downright abysmal, I have no idea.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

I know, in the end, I was forced to choose this option after nabasu, otherwise my team would be useless. Unfortunately, the merchant only has 3 scrolls.
You should not place mechanics that require level 4 spells at the very beginning of the game and place so few scrolls at the same time.

The longer I play this game, I have the impression that none of the developers have even tried to play it before the premiere.
Already bypassing the amount of serious bugs, the game has terrible design problems.
This is definitely not the level of refinement of bg3 (which is in EA).
At the moment I do not know if the new pathfinder is more buggy than most obsidian games combined.

veteran
veteran
well this thread turned into a bitch fest. i think i'm out.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
well this thread turned into a bitch fest. i think i'm out.

I actually think the mood is less negative here than some other forums where the game is being discussed. It's a toy and people get upset when their toy are broken. smile

I think it's going to be a great game but it will need a definitive edition.

veteran
veteran
From Owlcats history with Kingmaker that is to be expected. It will probably take them about a year to fix some bugs then release an enhance edition while leaving all the bugs intact and move on to developing a new game with another stupid management system.
This is blatant misrepresentation. Owlcat is easily one of best studios out there in terms of their commitment to fixing their game. Kingmaker was essentially bug-free (and definitely game-stopping bug free) within about four months of launch. I play it all the time and there is not a single bug worth talking about in the game.

As for WotR, a lot of what I'm hearing about bugs comes across as silly whining. What the general consensus appears to be is that most of the bugs are very minor annoyances and nothing more than that. To the extent there are game-breaking bugs, and those do exist especially in the later chapters, Owlcat is being superb, as usual, in fixing them very fast.

Last edited by kanisatha; 17/09/21 02:31 PM.
Page 42 of 105 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard