Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 54 of 105 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 104 105
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Veilburner
One thing I noticed about WOTR is that it's not very new player friendly in some ways.

One example is how the characters don't have some of their spells/abilities on their action bar or whatever it's called. And for some it may not be intuitive on how to set them. Like I'm playing as an eldritch archer. None of my cantrips were on the action bar. Camellia has actions like battle spirit that weren't on the bar.

Another thing I mentioned before is how you can't choose which memorized spells you start with. Like I have 7 spells to choose at creation and start with 2. Can't choose which two. Tried choosing in a different order. Didn't help.

Also there seems to be a discrepancy when it comes to turn based and real time battles. May have been mentioned before? Some battles I do well in turn based. The same battle I'll get destroyed in real time.

You can drag spells, abilities, and equipped usable items from their respective lists onto the bar. The main bar is only meant for your most used things.

Memorizing spells at the start of the game is a bit wonky, yeah.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 01/10/21 06:41 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I know about the dragging. Just saying they could've put it in a tutorial or something for beginners.

Something related is when leveling up if you could add the new memorized spells to the actual level up screen instead of having to go into your spellbook.

veteran
veteran
Dunno, you have your first rest like 5 minutes after you start the game, and then you can memorize all the spells allowed for you for the entire game after that.

I know about the dragging. Just saying they could've put it in a tutorial or something for beginners.

Something related is when leveling up if you could add the new memorized spells to the actual level up screen instead of having to go into your spellbook.

That only happens with non-spontaneous casters( magus, wizards, clerics, alchemists,...), because you can choose what spells you can learn and use every day. When you level up or rest it´s advisable that you check your spells for the day to pick the ones that you will use this day. You can change them every time you rest (not only when you level up and you may learn new spells but you need to rest to use them) and the spontaneous casters automatically can cast all the (few) spells they know so it would be not that useful as it seems to be able to choose your spells when you level up.

If you do not like that for some reason you can simply play spontaneous casters, you only have to choose your spells when you level up. You have a lot of classes to choose from.

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/10/21 07:33 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Sure but should've been able to pick which spells you start with. I don't care if you can rest 5 minutes or so after you start the game. If I can pick 7 spells to start with I should've been able to pick the 2 I start l

addict
addict
Sure but should've been able to pick which spells you start with. I don't care if you can rest 5 minutes or so after you start the game. If I can pick 7 spells to start with I should've been able to pick the 2 I start l
Yep, something that was a part of of Baldur's Gate character creation: 1) Pick known spells, 2) Pick which ones are memorised before you start game, is somehow missing from WotR, instead, enjoy having things you don't want until you get to Neatholm - that's progress bay bee

addict
addict
Also lol that the Temple of the 3 was like the RPGCodex backer area or something - you get what you deserve.

veteran
veteran
It was like a tutorial of Turn based combat... in the middle of the game. The temple of 3 makes little sense, but since it was a Kickstarter goal...

Last edited by _Vic_; 02/10/21 11:29 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Something else I found odd was a few of the lawful choices don't seem to be "good". Like if I were playing as a really good character I don't think I would choose those options.

Like with Kaylessa if you find out the truth about her it's still considered lawful to kill her.

D
D
Well, lawful/chaotic choices aren't supposed to be good or evil, that's why good/evil & lawful/chaotic are two orthogonal axes...

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I know but it seems there are a few like that. More lawful evil so if I were playing as a paladin I wouldn't choose those options

veteran
veteran
That bothers me a little too, It's not the only game that has only 4 responses while having a 8 axis alignment system. I'd find it interesting if some of the choices had unmarked secondary alignment effects

D
addict
addict
D
I'm a little bugged that killing somebody on the word of a stranger is considered lawful. Its not like the guy who gives the quest is a lawful magistrate sending you to collect a bounty on a known criminal.

Although on second thought, it could be that its considered lawful because you said that you would kill her? (So lawful in the sense that you keep your word).

Last edited by dwig; 02/10/21 08:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
the morality system is bizarre in wotr for sure. A Paladin of Sarenrae (you know, that neugral good diety?) gets pushed towards neutral good for making a good decision and then LOSES their abilities because they're not LG? What? How does that make any sense? the problem with their circular system is that you move only up and down, as if you're on a square, so neutral good and neutral evil are more good and evil than lawful or chaotic. it's ridiculous

R
old hand
old hand
R
From what I've noticed, a large part of the lawful option in this game is to kill someone. What's even funnier is that most of them are more suited to LE than any good character. Playing the paladin has to be extremely fun.

veteran
veteran
Well, getting arrested because you sleep with another man is following the law in some countries, ask for an independence referendum, show your hair to a man if you are a woman, post a video showing the face of a cop, talking shit about your (unique) government, ... it is allowed to kill your sister, daughter or wife if she was raped because he slept with another man, use contraception ... depending on the countries it is being a law-abiding citizen to snitch and punish those who do that.

Lawful =/= good depending on the situation.

In Mendev heresy, demon-worshipping, etc is almost automatically a death sentence, after the 3rd crusade IIRC. So... very lawful?

It´s a somehow peculiar way of displaying the lawful-chaos axis. Sometimes the lawful options meant that you say the truth or that you do not deceive your allies, you keep your word, etc.

Last edited by _Vic_; 02/10/21 11:23 PM.
R
old hand
old hand
R
Only that a lawful character does not really have to obey the specific laws of a given area, but more a certain set of rules / code established by his superiors / god or even created by himself.
The problem is that few of the lawful options match a character that is not evil or neutral. This is especially irritating in the case of paladins who should lose their powers immediately with many of these options. However, if they do not choose them, they will end up neutral good, which will cause them to lose their powers.
The system could work if, instead of a wheel, split the alignment into two axes lawful / chaotic and good / evil.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
That's what I was thinking as well. Someone is a certain alignment and has a god or goddess that's similarly aligned. Or is it the other way around?

Anyway they follow the laws of their deity and not the area. So killing Kaylessa wouldn't be "lawful" to a lawful good character.

D
addict
addict
D
Fortunately, deciding NOT to kill her does not register as a chaotic decision.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Are the alignment shifts that bad in WotR? I got away with quite a lot in Kingmaker playing a paladin and keeping somewhere in the middle of the Lawful Good part of the pie despite making more than a few non-LG, and sometimes outright "evil" decisions according to the game (like murdering troll children with Ekundayo and not listening to "friendly" goblins). Tying alignment change to opinions is still very crude, though. It was irritating in the NWN games and in Kingmaker it got freaking ridiculous. Maybe only make actual moral choices change your character's soul-state, hm?

Last edited by Brainer; 03/10/21 01:53 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Brainer
Are the alignment shifts that bad in WotR? I got away with quite a lot in Kingmaker playing a paladin and keeping somewhere in the middle of the Lawful Good part of the pie despite making more than a few non-LG, and sometimes outright "evil" decisions according to the game (like murdering troll children with Ekundayo and not listening to "friendly" goblins). Tying alignment change to opinions is still very crude, though. It was irritating in the NWN games and in Kingmaker it got freaking ridiculous. Maybe only make actual moral choices change your character's soul-state, hm?

if you make too many good or evil decisions, you'll get kicked out of your lawful/chaotic alignment. it's annoying when you're playing a class with an alignment requirement.

Page 54 of 105 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard