Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Seriously Programmers and Planners!
Magic is easier and that's because the library is already loaded into the game.

Where is my Monk? Where is my Barbarian?

Seriously?!? A Druid was fine. But enough!

Where are my melee Kings?!? Screw the Glass Cannons!
I have played quite a bit of these types and generic types since I still cannot go past level 4!

I really love your work but damn come on I am really getting disappointed in this work

old hand
old hand
Awesome Yang.

veteran
veteran
Casters are the best! rpg007

C
stranger
stranger
C
I agree.

Sure Magic and all those classes are going good and are great to play.
But I agree with Deikon.

Where are our Melee Kings?

As person familiar with coding and IT, this add on for characters a simple ((mostly) a shortcut.
Sorcerer and Wizard are not that different in code at all.

I am sure Deikon and myself and others are waiting for greater and promised things.....

Thank you.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe because the Magicsystem as it is now ingame is not defined.
This update hopefully fixes and sorts the differences in the many spellcaster classes in the EA Version of Game.
Its not normal that Wizard can cast anything even outside of his proficiency like some Clericspells.

Also technically the Sorcerer is less demanding in programming then f.e. Bard or Paladin Class.
Its just the practical decision to bring in the Sorcerer first into the EA after the Basic Characters and classes where implemented to get the EA rollin.
Sorcerer class is less time demanding development of class.

Hope this can give you some insight of how thoughtprocesses in game development is made visible.

C
stranger
stranger
C
They do and thank you.

But this still does not directly address the need for melee characters.
Average players who purchased this last year are wondering what is up? I follow reddit and several DnD groups so this is the feedback I am receiving.

Personally....
At work 5 of us purchased this item a year ago.

Now, we have played it to death and 4 of us are becoming not interested in this item due to their character types never being available.
Also, I and others understand how hard multi classing is to api and such, but regular players over such a long period will lose interest.

I hope this 60gb will cover these issues as I am a big fan of this project and want more positive things to say then programming excuses concerning difficulty.

veteran
veteran
I also hope and wait for Monk or Barbarian (mostly Monk, to be honest) ...
But i can understand that they are focusig on spellcasters ... there is much more to do, and therefore much more to test, since much more things can potentialy go completely wrong and mess up everything else. :-/

So ... be patient brother, our time will come. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
I expect the issue is they just can't get reactions to work with their engine easily so any class that really uses reactions is blocked atm.

D
old hand
old hand
D
I think they want to get spellcasting and spells done properly first. Most classes, barbarian included have some subclasses that have acces to spells from other classes. Or have feats that copy an effect as a feature. Barbarian can ritual cast some spells for example.

My guess is they wanted all of the spells done first, so if they make those classes they can just link to the excisting spell effect thet have (maybe with a unique icon) and not have to do the same job twice, basicly.

Also some things arent working properly yet like the above mentioned 'wizards can learn all spells' or that you can just swap spells out at will. Which is not how dnd spell lists work laugh

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yes, yes I do get that and I appreciate your reply.

But again, it needs to get done and and correctly, I want that also.

But and I know it is a but, let's GO on this.

I convinced several people of Larian''s general goodness last year to this day, and I am tired of their disappointed attitudes, but sadly I do not consider those attitudes to be incorrect.

I am very disappointed in this class release and hopefully with this update I will be able to play with them again because we are content burned out.
We were logging in every two weeks and then every months and now....just two of us diehards.
Sad.

old hand
old hand
Will be fun to see how they implement wild magic and the metamagic abilities. =)

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I expect the issue is they just can't get reactions to work with their engine easily so any class that really uses reactions is blocked atm.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe reactions are too difficult to code in their engine (then why use it in the first place?).

old hand
old hand
Can it really be THAT hard to program that?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by andreasrylander
Can it really be THAT hard to program that?
Well, keep in mind that the divinity engine doesn't have a day/night cycle and BG3 is not planned to have one so yeah probably engine limitation is a thing.

stranger
stranger
Apologies for the images failing to show up, I'm a stranger to the forum.[img]http://[/img]

The introduction of the Sorcerer seems different than the Druid, as it has received its very own "intro screen" painting, rather than just a screenshot.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBFbjZyWQAQxkXN?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

versus

[img]https://assets2.rockpapershotgun.com/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg/BROK/resize/1920x1920%3E/format/jpg/quality/80/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg[/img]

I'm speculating here, but it seems this particular Sorcerer may also be a main nautiloid-type character, available for selection in the Camp. As a result, all that Sorcerer's game elements were added... which takes a longer time and Larian wanted to get it squared away before some of the other classes.

Last edited by organichilimango; 08/10/21 04:51 PM. Reason: images not showing
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Interesting and thank you all so much.

veteran
veteran
I would more likely gues that Sorcerer just get this interesting artwork, bcs its part of that event in London ... it could be called promotion material.
Wich, as far as i know, Druid was not. smile

I would not search anything deeper in that honestly, but it would be certainly awesome!

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by organichilimango
Apologies for the images failing to show up, I'm a stranger to the forum.[img]http://[/img]

The introduction of the Sorcerer seems different than the Druid, as it has received its very own "intro screen" painting, rather than just a screenshot.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBFbjZyWQAQxkXN?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

versus

[img]https://assets2.rockpapershotgun.com/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg/BROK/resize/1920x1920%3E/format/jpg/quality/80/baldur's%20gate%203%20druid%2002_tGUaDLe.jpg[/img]

I'm speculating here, but it seems this particular Sorcerer may also be a main nautiloid-type character, available for selection in the Camp. As a result, all that Sorcerer's game elements were added... which takes a longer time and Larian wanted to get it squared away before some of the other classes.

When you are planning for a games convention you need to make impression. And Larian is planning in advance.
LArian needs something to decorate and gain as much as possible eye catchers.

That big Poster shown as screenshot is such an eyecatcher.
Instantly telling people this is an epic game with cool characters, check out Baldurs Gate 3 and play yourself this cool sorcerer.

Thats why theres visually more than just the Patch 4 Druid release.
But then again there wasnt any games convention they could go at that time when Druid Patch was introduced.
Also its their 1-year anny and then you want at least some kind of entrance to show off.
EGX2021 is not one of the biggest cons, but its a practical one to show that BG3 is coming to consoles too.

Thats some points why they choose a more visually apperance. First impressions allways count.
You want them to be positive.

Last edited by TheHero; 08/10/21 06:04 PM.
V
stranger
stranger
V
I think they said something a while back about them having trouble figuring out how to make melee classes fun to play and still remain faithful to the rules. I figure it's better they get it right rather than push out a subpar melee class just for the sake of having one.

old hand
old hand
Yeah, the remaining melee classes simply aren't going to be released until Larian's answer to the reaction system is ready. The real window into the future of the game is not going to happen with this patch, it will be the one after this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard