Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 59 of 105 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 104 105
A
addict
addict
A
The wound is not gone. It is central to the story and will reappear during certain events.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by ash elemental
Originally Posted by Scribe
BG3 isn't even in the conversation, I can't think of a single thing it does better as far as actually playing the game.
Scouting before fights in order to spy on the enemy, for example. Doesn't do much good in Wrath, because the devs like to teleport enemies out of nowhere. And when they are teleporting, there is a delay between an enemy appearing and an enemy becoming physical, so you cannot even attack them.

Also, having finished the game, I'd say Chapter 3 (and 4) is where the game still holds together. Chapter 5 is where it starts to fall apart at the seams. Last chapter is basically house at the edge of time, demons and bugs edition. Bonus points for random demonic flunkies being tougher than the demonic army leaders. laugh

Yeah, I have a feeling once we get to epic tier with mythic paths, and crazy multi class builds...it will get nuts.

I'm still way more invested into my character and companions. smile

A
addict
addict
A
Yeah, I have a feeling once we get to epic tier with mythic paths, and crazy multi class builds...it will get nuts.

I'm still way more invested into my character and companions. smile
High level just amplifies the issues with combat, imo. For example, Owlcat didn't take into account the limitation of their ai when designing some battles. When your party fights alongside simple soldiers, there might be some pathfinding issues in tight spaces, but that's it. When your supposed ally is a high level spellcaster with zero targeting ability, it becomes annoying. Imagine a battle for the grove where Zevlor opens up with a fireball on your party.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Another thing about WOTR. Is your character a cult leader or something? Do they have a hold on some of your companions? I mean on most mythic paths most companions won't leave you even if their alignments would make it seem like they should. There's one path where everyone leaves but the others? Nope.

You could choose demon mythic path and certain lawful good characters are fine with that? It would make more sense to me if they left.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Veilburner
Another thing about WOTR. Is your character a cult leader or something? Do they have a hold on some of your companions? I mean on most mythic paths most companions won't leave you even if their alignments would make it seem like they should. There's one path where everyone leaves but the others? Nope.

You could choose demon mythic path and certain lawful good characters are fine with that? It would make more sense to me if they left.

I have heard Seelah will leave you if you go down the evil path and when you click on characters like Ember she will cry if you are being evil.
Eventually they will hate you and your evil decisions will get a response from them.

old hand
old hand
Wrath is deeper, has better writing, way more crunch, and interesting companions and feels like an actual World instead of some weird theme park.
I mean, some would claim exactly the opposite.

Although, as far as party members' exchanges and interjections go, WotR really does remind you of the original BG games. So far I find the interjections from party members quite well written for the most part, maybe except for some overly lengthy ones, like Lann's 6-line story about some shepherd and his cow, when everyone else is already reaching for their weapon and getting ready for a bloody showdown. Hopefully BG3 will also go in this direction, rather than like in DOS.

Scouting before fights in order to spy on the enemy, for example. Doesn't do much good in Wrath, because the devs like to teleport enemies out of nowhere. And when they are teleporting, there is a delay between an enemy appearing and an enemy becoming physical, so you cannot even attack them.
It gets pretty annoying, yeah. By the time you're level 7 or so you can already tell, this game loves dropping enemies out of nowhere literally on top of your party (or worse, behind your backliners), as well as delayed spawning. You see 3 Kalavakus ahead and you just know there's another 3-5 other enemies that will show up later after combat starts - either by delayed spawning or because they are placed further behind so they would be able to "surprise" you when you're busy dealing with the initial enemies - like dropping Mind Fog then Song of Discord / Confusion / Mass Hold Person on your unsuspecting party, for example. You think you have only 7 babaus to deal with, you go in, then find out there's a firing squad of 4 Succubus Sharpshooters and 2 Abyssal Huntresses who sneakily approach a bit later from half a mile away then promptly turn your party into pincushions. Doing this kind of thing once in a while is fine, but doing this over and over is not exactly fun. Between DOS and WotR, I'd choose the mostly static enemy formation, tbh. In the long run it's just less annoyance.

Speaking of act 3, just found Playful Darkness earlier. When I first heard of this guy I imagined a lone miniboss, but nope, turned out it approaches you a bit later after the shadows, and with perma invis, because why not. And when I thought that was it, the game proved me wrong once again: there's that Deathsnatcher from way behind ready to drop a DC30 Finger of Death on my rogue who has +6 Fort save. Managed to beat this guy with mostly basic attacks, though. I had L14 plain Rogue Trickster with Crippling Kiss (crit 15) and Hasty Eradicator and the "converting 1s to 20s" feat, Camellia (1 Spirit Hunter / 13 Cult Leader) dualing Tender Touch and Finnean, and Wendu (2 Fighter / 10 Freebooter / 2 Spawn Slayer) with shortbow. Seelah had 1s left of Last Stand when I landed the last hit to knock the boss down. Ember and Nenio managed to get in a couple casts of Chain Lightning, a Tsunami, and a Caustic Eruption. Was actually pretty fun, I must say. Dicey fight, but not too drawn out so it was quite bearable.

Last edited by Try2Handing; 12/10/21 06:43 PM.

"We make our choices and take what comes and the rest is void."
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Seelah left me on lich not demon. Doesn't make sense. Ember can cry all she wants. Why not leave?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Seelah left me on lich not demon. Doesn't make sense. Ember can cry all she wants. Why not leave?

Who can understand ember? Perhaps she thinks she can still save you.
Thats just how ember is.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by Eddiar

Thats just how ember is.

She's a good person right? Unless there is a later twist, she's someone who was burned at the stake, has the scars to prove it, as a young person, and she still wants to help people. Probably nothing would prevent her from trying to help/save people.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Thats just how ember is.

She's a good person right? Unless there is a later twist, she's someone who was burned at the stake, has the scars to prove it, as a young person, and she still wants to help people. Probably nothing would prevent her from trying to help/save people.

Yeah she is good. Incredibly so.
In my game she manages to convince the queen of the succubi to abandon her throne and become a force for good.

When I learned Huruln or wtv his name is was the one that burned her... lets just say he did not survive long.

Last edited by Eddiar; 13/10/21 02:09 AM.
veteran
veteran

Thats just how ember is.

Yeah she is good. Incredibly so.
In my game she manages to convince the queen of the succubi to abandon her throne and become a force for good.

When I learned Huruln or wtv his name is was the one that burned her... lets just say he did not survive long.
Good on you. We have very similar feelings about good v. evil in our games. smile

old hand
old hand
It's premature to compare WotR and BG3 when BG3 isn't getting an official full release until 2023 while WotC is already out and complete.

WotR vs Solasta makes more sense.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Omegaphallic
It's premature to compare WotR and BG3 when BG3 isn't getting an official full release until 2023 while WotC is already out and complete.

na. If they're charging full price, they can take the full comparison

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

So maybe we will also compare the early versions of the games and 60$vs 100$+ according to this logic

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Rhobar121

So maybe we will also compare the early versions of the games and 60$vs 100$+ according to this logic

i don't understand what you're saying, sorry. $60 and $100?

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I enjoy WOTR but if we're going off of price I paid $114 for early access.

A
addict
addict
A
That is how much WotR early access cost, over 100$. So if you want to compare, it was more expensive than the full game price at release.

Though considering how many bugs are in the game, it does feel a bit like EA. laugh

old hand
old hand
That is how much WotR early access cost, over 100$. So if you want to compare, it was more expensive than the full game price at release.

Though considering how many bugs are in the game, it does feel a bit like EA. laugh

It's always funny to read the reviews here on other games, compared to reviews, and threads on the other game's forums, or store fronts. A lot of the positive Steam reviews for WotR have "but it needs more polish" or "but the bugs"...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by dwig
Originally Posted by Sozz
There's nothing wrong with an alignment system, it just doesn't mesh well when you gamify it.

I dislike it because it doesn't map on to the way real humans think, act, and feel.
It doesn't need to, because it's in a fictional fantasy world. It's part of the game system, and just like any other part of the game's system you learn how it works and then play within that system.

Exactly.

Hit points don't make any sense either but people don't expect them to map onto real world experiences.

"No, no, I see why you're worried -- I've got this dagger stuck in my neck and I just lost two ribs to that last mace strike -- but I'm good for another few hours. Don't worry! A good night's sleep and I'll be a right as rain, you'll see, happens all the time."

Which makes some plot points kinda absurd but you just suspend disbelief. "Hey Aenevia? I know you broke your leg in the fall and that's why you can't join our party but we've found about 120 healing potions and this wand, maybe you could try one of those?"

For al the problems with the implementation of the alignment system -- and I agree it's flawed -- I'm happy to be playing a game where alignment matters. In BG3 I wonder if Lathander is ever going to get upset with my good priest for spending her nights with a chaotic evil undead thief.

veteran
veteran

It is EA but isn't marketed as such; we're beta testing. Owlcat needs to follow Larian's lead and release a definitive edition for free.

Page 59 of 105 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 104 105

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard