Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 46 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 45 46
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dez
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
P.S. A few months ago, I shared some pictures of what I consider to be proper elves: Post 1 and Post 2. Do let me know if any of those examples live up to your standards.

I like most of them! Definitely! I do not believe that elves necessarily have to be as alien as the Pathfinder elves (although I certainly do not mind, I like them! The only thing I am sorta displeased with is their black alien eyes. . _ . ).

Yes, the Pathfinder elves - to me - aren't ideal; I wouldn't call them outright hideous, but their insectile eyes are a bit much. There is a time when one can step beyond convention, but there is also a time to stick with that which is tried and true.

Originally Posted by Dez
I just don't want them to be nothing more than human with pointy ears :< Because if they were, then half-elves and true elves would be identical. I mean, I *DEFINITELY* - even on most of the more human examples - see a clear difference between these elves and some (most) of the faces that we have ingame. *ESPECIALLY* on the male elves. Their faces are much more slender than the faces we have in BG3, and most examples that have been provided thus far have at least a slight tilt when it comes to the elven eyes.

When immersing myself in a fantasy game, I want fantastic beings to feel appropriately fantastic. Part of what makes them noteworthy is the writing (and how it reflects their psychology/cultural coloration) / acting. Inseparable - however - is their appearance. Basically, this is a package deal...if they're behaving like an elf yet do not look like one, then the conclusion I take away is "Oh, this human with tacked on elfin ears knows much about elf culture. They did their homework."

Last edited by Ragitsu; 08/10/21 10:44 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Demoulius
I actually never considered this. The half-elf beeing more slim the the full blood elf is kind of hilarious xD

Halsin beeing an elf did throw me off a little. Theres nothing wrong about individual elves not conforming to a certain sacetic but them all lacking it is indeed kind of an issue frown

Occam's razor: they are elf cosplayers!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Scribe
This still hasnt been fixed or addressed?!

lol

Maybe we oughta start a pool. Monopoly money is a-okay up.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
I actually never considered this. The half-elf beeing more slim the the full blood elf is kind of hilarious xD

Halsin beeing an elf did throw me off a little. Theres nothing wrong about individual elves not conforming to a certain sacetic but them all lacking it is indeed kind of an issue frown

Thing is, as far as I am aware, Halsin being an elf is legit - at least as long as one is willing to step outside the current version of 5e. Wild Elves are supposed to be a bit bulky. Their average weight can be as heavy as 260 lb (120 kg) and they can be as tall as 6'6" (2 meter) tall. Halsin certainly fits that description, he even matches their physical description near perfectly with the one exception being that he is wearing a proper shirt instead of using as little clothes as possible (I am not trolling, check the wiki link above x] ) and he matches the personality description as well. On top of that, Wild elves are known to favor druid / shamanism magic. And I mean, they might not be a part of 5e (... yet?), but they DO have a history in DnD and Faerun from 3e and 4e. Perhaps Halsin's presence is a sign of wild elf potentially showing up in the the future since Larian has access to insider information from WotC?

I mean, I thought wild elves were a part of 5e before I started reading up on it - so I didn't even bat an eye at Halsin being an elf. :']

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Dez

Thing is, as far as I am aware, Halsin being an elf is legit - at least as long as one is willing to step outside the current version of 5e. Wild Elves are supposed to be a bit bulky. Their average weight can be as heavy as 260 lb (120 kg) and they can be as tall as 6'6" (2 meter) tall. Halsin certainly fits that description

It is technically possible, though he is an outlier in terms of physiology; he isn't representative of the average Wild Elf. However, thin or muscular, his face just doesn't fit. Both factors (i.e, the bulky build and human countenance) - working in tandem - make him look dissimilar to an elf.

Originally Posted by Dez
And I mean, they might not be a part of 5e (... yet?)

Seven years later and WOTC hasn't released a proper FRCS. Do not hold your breath...you are too young to die.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dez
Halsin certainly fits that description, he even matches their physical description near perfectly with the one exception being that he is wearing a proper shirt instead of using as little clothes as possible (I am not trolling, check the wiki link above x] )
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

D
old hand
old hand
D
Yeah I know wood-elves are more 'stocky' then other elves. But his ears aside I saw little hint that he was an actual elf. Like the OP shows nicely, the facial features seem to be missing abit.

old hand
old hand
Yeah I know wood-elves are more 'stocky' then other elves. But his ears aside I saw little hint that he was an actual elf. Like the OP shows nicely, the facial features seem to be missing abit.

Arnoldesti Schwarzelfegger.

old hand
old hand
Can we at least agree that elves do not eat nachos?

veteran
veteran

Wait what! What do you mean elves don't eat nachos? If I want my elf to eat nachos, then my elf is going to nachos and I expect this game to let my elf eat nachos. It at least needs to be an option in the settings menu, just like everything else. I want options for everything! 🤣

veteran
veteran
No! Nachoooooooo! I want the option.

And who likes salami anyway. Give me nachos!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him

Wait what! What do you mean elves don't eat nachos? If I want my elf to eat nachos, then my elf is going to nachos and I expect this game to let my elf eat nachos. It at least needs to be an option in the settings menu, just like everything else. I want options for everything! 🤣

Oh, pish posh; that pedestrian fare is better suited for dwarves or perhaps halflings. No, no...I have it on good authority from seasoned (human) scouts used to observing the sylvan folk in their natural habitat that their favorite cheese-based snack is actually fondue served with herb-infused bread. How could you possibly expect anything less?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost
Not only this but the female faces in general are very masculine...

Y'know, the elves are androgynous rpg008.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by henbit
Thread's too long to read the whole thing but:

I think this is probably just an EA issue?

Why EA in particular?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Isn't this a none issue?

With mods people will be able to edit the faces to make them more elvish.
So if someone is good at 3D and is dedicated enough they can move around those jawlines and cheekbones as much as they like to make those elves.

I don't really get people here using 2 art to dictate what a 3d model that was scanned from a REAL human face is supposed to work.

Dez Offline
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dez
Thing is, as far as I am aware, Halsin being an elf is legit - at least as long as one is willing to step outside the current version of 5e. Wild Elves are supposed to be a bit bulky. Their average weight can be as heavy as 260 lb (120 kg) and they can be as tall as 6'6" (2 meter) tall. Halsin certainly fits that description

It is technically possible, though he is an outlier in terms of physiology; he isn't representative of the average Wild Elf. However, thin or muscular, his face just doesn't fit. Both factors (i.e, the bulky build and human countenance) - working in tandem - make him look dissimilar to an elf.

Fair enough, I could definitely agree on that his face does not match the general characteristics of the wild elves.

Originally Posted by Dez
And I mean, they might not be a part of 5e (... yet?)

Seven years later and WOTC hasn't released a proper FRCS. Do not hold your breath...you are too young to die.

Awwhh... Well, one can always hope! c: I'll try to not hold my breath though!

Originally Posted by Icelyn
Originally Posted by Dez
Halsin certainly fits that description, he even matches their physical description near perfectly with the one exception being that he is wearing a proper shirt instead of using as little clothes as possible (I am not trolling, check the wiki link above x] )
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Glad to see you're still around and as hyped as always, Icelyn! <3

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Eddiar
Isn't this a none issue?

So if someone is good at 3D and is dedicated enough they can move around those jawlines and cheekbones as much as they like to make those elves.

I don't really get people here using 2 art to dictate what a 3d model that was scanned from a REAL human face is supposed to work.

Some people, myself included, do not like mods.

old hand
old hand

It is a troubling trend...this "ink suit actor" technique (which is cheaper and easier than creating a properly modeled and animated head/face from scratch). Why? Well, basically, it gets in the way of an accurate rendering precisely because it limits developers to a human default unless they're willing to put in the effort of adjusting the baseline for a humanoid race that isn't quite the same as bog-standard homo sapiens. I'll never buy the excuse that it's too difficult to create a good-looking mien faithful to elfkind.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn
[quote=ZawiszaTheBlack]Most of them look like 80s fantasy-action movie hero with square jaw and hairy chest.

Elves with hairy chests? Surely, that is a sign of the apocalypse.

Originally Posted by GM4Him
Isn't this a none issue?

Some people, myself included, do not like mods.

Exactly... we should not "NEED" to mod the game to have some basic aesthetics look correctly. I don't care for mods either.

Page 27 of 46 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard