Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by polliwagwhirl
I too am not a fan of the homebrew martial skills. There are some big problems with them currently:

1. Some of them grant free disengage / teleportation (Rush, Mobile Shot).
This was already removed once before and I don't understand why it's back. These make Cunning Action from Rogue even less valuable.

2. Some of them are hard crowd control (Heartstopper, Backbreaker).
Why would I ever use a melee weapon that doesn't have these? They're so much better than the others.

3. They introduce too many new homebrew status effects (Open Wounds, Bleeding, Dazed, Off Balance, Cripple, Weakening Strike, Weak Grip, Chest Trauma, and more!)
You have doubled the amount of status conditions in 5e! You can't even tell what these do based on their names, it's a tremendous amount of bloat.

The third point also worries me a lot.
All those new status increased A LOT the complexity of a game that is already very complex to learn, especially for newcomers.

I find VERY COOL that some of these actions simulate things you could do in a tabletop session but it should only stick to that.
- I charge and attack him
- I use the pommel of my weapon, trying to stunned him
- I try to knock him down with my staff
- I'm foccused on his hands to make him drop his weapons, on his eyes to make him blind, on his feet to reduce his speed and so on...

I haven't try everything yet but first impressions :
- There should NOT have new conditions. We can easily imagine tons of actions with DnD's conditions or mechanics (reduce the speed) and eventually BG3's mechanic (in exemple drop weapons)
- It should be better balanced. In exemple the charge should definitely use your movement and not allow you to disengage. You can also charge through ennemies which looks really wierd.
- None of these weapons actions should be bonus actions. It should deserve it"s own thread but we DON'T need bonus actions at each turn, which is what everyone (AI included) is doing to optimize our turns - hello shove to disengage, something the AI teach me to do...
- Some things should just dissapear : you can try to stun someone with a blow to the head... You cannot try to make someone wearing an armor bleed using a special attack while using your sword... Are you going to bleed if you're slashed with a sword but not if you're pierced with it ?
- It shouldn't be so much different for all weapons. Honnestly I'd rather have the charge for all weapons + 1 specific attack per weapon than a whole bunch of attacks for every weapons. A bit more complexity and variety is absolutely fine but it's way too much imo.
- The special attacks were better where they were before on the UI. Adding them to the hotbar mess does not help at all. If we're definitely going with weapons special attacks they require a specific place OR specific locked slots on the hotbar.
- We should be able to use them whenever we want. If it's well balanced you don't need to make them "one per rest".

+1 to the original post and your comment.
We do not need more kinds of status effects and it should not be a bonus attack.

Maybe (just maybe, I am not sure) if it was more balanced and special attacks had both an advantage and disadvantage (not only (dis)advantage in the 5E sense, just some kind of sownside ) we could remove the rest restricktion.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
There's a positive as well.

I really like how two handed weapons get more abilities than one handed weapons. Shields are very powerful and two handed weapons could generally use a boost to be more viable since the damage benefit isn't that great without a dedicated Fighter or Barbarian build.

Just why no defensive abilities on two handers? Especially for something like a quarterstaff so mages could protect themselves. (Also, add Dodge action already please)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard