Print Thread
#791106 25/09/21 11:16 PM
I
Ixal Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I
Wizards has revealed a new subclass and the new and improved Dragonborn stats today (The book with them will release in november I think)
Will Larian use them? Who knows. But just so that you know that they are out there.
Dragonborn:
https://dndcelebration.com/downloads/preview-1.pdf

Drakewarden Ranger
https://dndcelebration.com/downloads/preview-2.pdf

(There are also new dragon types, but I doubt Larian will add them unless they have some kind of deal with wizards to promote new stuff. But by the time BG3 releases it won't be new anymore)

Last edited by Ixal; 25/09/21 11:17 PM.
old hand
old hand
I believe there's a bunch of licensing hurdles involved, so I don't imagine Larian will go out of their way to include much beyond the PHB and a couple very popular things beyond that, unless WotC is making stuff precisely to tie into BG3 in some way or vice-versa. WotC has a notorious iron grip on the licensing and legal aspects of everything to do with the DnD IP.

The Solasta devs in particular outright said the reason why their classes and setting were so heavily homebrewed is because they only had access to the open license. And they are also outright discouraging people from modding in official content or re-creating actual modules through their dungeon maker, or else they could get in a lot of legal trouble.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I was worried that this would be the case. I was REALLY hoping to see more stuff from the expanded books regarding races especially (I really want Goliaths), but I wasn't banking on it.
I guess I'll just be happy to have Bards/Monks and Half-Orcs would be nice as well. (Or full 'monster' races.). All BG3 is shaping up to be for me is a teaser for a next-gen NeverWinter Nights 3.

Ugh, I just made myself cry.

old hand
old hand
Well, we're clearly going to get stuff beyond the open license in BG3, the issue is we don't know how far that extends. Like Bards having the base College of Lore and the player's handbook College of Valor are safe bets.

Soulknife Rogue from Tasha's though? Who even knows. I think a lot of people would love that subclass if it was added in.

Last edited by Saito Hikari; 26/09/21 01:54 AM.
veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal
I have incredibly mixed feelings about this idea ...
On one hand it sounds perfect for Githyanki ... on other hand, dragon as a pet sounds so incredibly ridiculous (feel free to read as stupid) i would probably never allow it in my sessions. :-/

Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
And they are also outright discouraging people from modding in official content or re-creating actual modules through their dungeon maker, or else they could get in a lot of legal trouble.
You can get into legal trouble in America, when someone else alterns your product? O_o
Indeed land of infinite possibilities. laugh

Originally Posted by MrBionic
I guess I'll just be happy to have Bards/Monks and Half-Orcs would be nice as well. (Or full 'monster' races.)
It was confrimmed that all PHB races classes and sublcasses will be included in full release, wasnt it? O_o
So ... Half Orcs should be coming certainly ...

But i get you, i was also hoping for Tabaxi or Lizardfolk. frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
You can get into legal trouble in America, when someone else alterns your product? O_o
Indeed land of infinite possibilities. laugh

Yes, technically a studio is responsible for the content being made by fans for or in their game. This is a fairly recent change though, from what i understand.

i only know this because of the sims 4, when EA basically started banning the accounts of people who were found using "forbidden" mod content, which basically boiled down to mods that infringed IP rights, or that added adult-style and mature content to their games. It's old obscenity/copyright laws rehashed for the new era, despite how stupid it seems.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
And people say *we* live in anarchy in central Europe. laugh

I
Ixal Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Saito Hikari
I believe there's a bunch of licensing hurdles involved, so I don't imagine Larian will go out of their way to include much beyond the PHB and a couple very popular things beyond that, unless WotC is making stuff precisely to tie into BG3 in some way or vice-versa. WotC has a notorious iron grip on the licensing and legal aspects of everything to do with the DnD IP.

The Solasta devs in particular outright said the reason why their classes and setting were so heavily homebrewed is because they only had access to the open license. And they are also outright discouraging people from modding in official content or re-creating actual modules through their dungeon maker, or else they could get in a lot of legal trouble.

I don't think the situation is comparable.
There will be an entire Magic the Gathering set with heavy ties to Baldurs Gate 3 by the looks of the preview images. So there definitely seems to be more cooperation between Larian and Wizards than what they provided for Solasta.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
It was confrimmed that all PHB races classes and sublcasses will be included in full release, wasnt it? O_o
So ... Half Orcs should be coming certainly ...

But i get you, i was also hoping for Tabaxi or Lizardfolk. frown

I think only classes were confirmed. And only in the sense that Larian would want to add them, not that they will.

Last edited by Ixal; 26/09/21 10:25 AM.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Wizards has revealed a new subclass and the new and improved Dragonborn stats today (The book with them will release in november I think)
Will Larian use them? Who knows. But just so that you know that they are out there.
Dragonborn:
https://dndcelebration.com/downloads/preview-1.pdf

Drakewarden Ranger
https://dndcelebration.com/downloads/preview-2.pdf

(There are also new dragon types, but I doubt Larian will add them unless they have some kind of deal with wizards to promote new stuff. But by the time BG3 releases it won't be new anymore)

I'm pretty sure those are things that tie into the world of Krynn in dragonlance since that is the next up coming content.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I think only classes were confirmed. And only in the sense that Larian would want to add them, not that they will.
You are quite right sir. smile
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/baldursgate/comments/fhq9cq/compiled_baldurs_gate_ama_20200313/

Will all 5e Classes be available at launch?

NickP: Yes, all classes from 5e Player’s Handbook will be included at launch. In Early Access you’ll be able to play as a Cleric, Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock or Wizard.

Does that include paths, subclasses, etc?

NickP: Yep.
They indeed didnt talk about races at all, since every responce was that they will be talking about races from EA only. O_o

ON the other hand in last Panel From Hells, Swen specificaly told us that they will keep some races as surprise until full release.
So ... at least we should expect that some more will be added. smile

veteran
veteran
I'm pretty sure that that strange armor in the hag's bog is designed for a yet to be announced race. You are going to take on witch and along the way you run into a tin man.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Wait what armor? O_o

veteran
veteran
It's kinda near the frog? All the items say "reinforced". My guess is that we will be able assemble another companion.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I believe i only find helmet and sword there. O_o
I shall check up next time i get there, thanks. smile

I
Ixal Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I
As the Sorcerer does not have access to the gem dragon bloodlines it seems that Larian does not have advanced access to future D&D books and might not even be allowed to use them, or choose not to in this case.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
Or they simply add them to final release ...
Just as with other subclasses we dont have "yet" ?

I
Ixal Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I
Gem dragons would not be a subclass, only new bloodlines for the draconic one.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran
I never said they are ...
Nor, anybody said that sublasses are the only thing Larian can add "later" ...

So what exactly is your point? wink

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard