Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Waltc Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I was delighted with the earlier builds of the game--prior to the latest patches--in which the game narrator could either be heard or be muted entirely, which I found to be the superior option--the ideal way to approach it. By far. The narrator's voice is for me a huge distraction and a break in the immersion of the game. Her voice and diction are fine, and my objection has nothing to do with the quality of the narration at all.

The problem with the narrator voiced with no option to mute is that the voice, her voice, belongs to no one in this game--at least so far. The voice does belong, however, to a voice actress who provided very nice voice acting characterizations in the earlier D:OS games, but not in BG3. Accordingly, hearing this voice pop up from nowhere from a character who does not exist in the game is very, very disconcerting. It's almost like being doused with ice water, rudely...;)

So, please, return the narrator's audio thread in the game to player control, allowing the player to adjust the volume of the narration, or mute it entirely, if desired! I find the game flows much more smoothly when narration is absent audibly, and we see only the subtitle text for narration. Not hearing it is a blessing...;)

[You guys had it exactly right the first time--and if it ain't broke, don't fix!]

This game is really shaping up!

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Don't listen to this guy, I love the voice, to me its the best part of the game. Makes me for the first time want to play evil, Evil, yes I mean it.

E
addict
addict
E
Her voice is one of the most jarring aspects of the game, constantly popping up telling me what my character is supposed to be feeling or seeing. Her sultry, come-to-bed voice would be fine in an advert or playing a femme-fatale but feels completely out of place in a BG game.

F
addict
addict
F
I like the narrator very much, it's a wonderful voice with wonderful things to say.

Please keep it - and give us MORE of her!

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
journeyman
journeyman
Wouldn't it be worse if the narrator was an in game character? I mean, unless that character is a party member or otherwise is around the party the entire time, they wouldn't know what's going on, and if they happened to get killed, then we'd be hearing the voice of a dead character.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Cafe
Don't listen to this guy, I love the voice, to me its the best part of the game. Makes me for the first time want to play evil, Evil, yes I mean it.
Originally Posted by Firesong
I like the narrator very much, it's a wonderful voice with wonderful things to say.

OP isn't saying "remove the narrator". They're saying "bring back the option to mute the narrator" (which apparently was an option before? I never noticed). Read before you reply.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dexai

OP isn't saying "remove the narrator". They're saying "bring back the option to mute the narrator" (which apparently was an option before? I never noticed). Read before you reply.
I think they did read and are responding to the general "I hate the narrator" tone of the post.

veteran
Online Embarrased
veteran

+1

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by Ramien
Originally Posted by Dexai

I think they did read and are responding to the general "I hate the narrator" tone of the post.

Yes.

Because for me this was enjoyable right from the start, I really was like "oh, great narrator, this is a big suprise now, I love it".

One of the first things when I entered the game with my first character ever.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
old hand
old hand
You understand that an option to mute the narrator would not affect your enjoyment of it any more than the option to mute music, sound effects, dialogue, etc do, right?

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
An option to mute the narrator would be absolutely fine.

Personally, I'd prefer the narrator be kept, but the lines be limited to objective observations rather than subjective feelings being forced on the PC (barring exceptions where it makes sense, e.g. mind control and the like). I'm fine with having things described to me (that's what a GM, i.e. the narrator, would be doing in an actual game of D&D), but not how I feel about them.

I should never be told I pity a creature, or that I am disgusted by it, and so on.

V
V
Yeah, will appreciate the possibility to turn the narrator off.

Romances in RPGs brought us to this
veteran
veteran
I grew to like the narrator.

Adding a stylized narrators voice can be controversial for sure, luckily she's brilliant at it.

veteran
veteran
I do like her voice and I find it nice, that we finally have a female narrator, but I'm always for choices, so why not make the option to choose if one wants to hear the narration or not. Same with the dirt btw.- should be optional too (other topic, but similar solution).

Last edited by fylimar; 18/10/21 03:01 PM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
A mute would be fine, but keep the narrator. I love her voice. Reminds me of Dr. Elizabeth Corday from the TV show ER. I loved her!

veteran
veteran
I enjoy the narrator. There's something seductive and all-knowing in the voice. It makes me think of the Absolute, always hovering and close-by.

An option to mute the voice wouldn't hurt me, I suppose, but I do wonder how busy the screen of optional check marks will eventually get. Weighted dice, dirty faces, narrated voices, frequency of character's comments. A page devoted entirely to pleasing everyone.

Qia Offline
stranger
stranger
Muted the narrator before the update and that setting seems to have carried over into this patch, fortunately.

The option to disable/enable the narrator should definitely return for a future patch though.

old hand
old hand
I don't want the narrator gone myself; though I agree she sometimes I'd too egging for the moment.

But I can't see the harm in a volume control or toggle for it either, especially if one already used to exist.

I love the narrator!

But, more options for tweaking the experience to suit your needs, or wants, is a great thing to have. In fact, I'd say that being able to set up your own keybinds, graphics and audio is the key to making any game better for disabilities and imparements.

old hand
old hand
Yes, a mute option would be great. I find her voice irritating.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard