Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
When you create a char now you can only see their lv1 abilities.
To chose a class it would be good to know what they gain later.

What abilities do you get later, what sub classes exist, whats the difference between sub classes and so on.
I want to know this without looking at a wiki.
They changed so many things that even knowing the PnP rules would not help much.

Solasta did it well with their character creation. (I mean how you select stuff and how you are informed about it. I mean NOT that they do not have full DnD licence or many classes missing).
If this would produce too much of a wall of text, add a button "show class progression".
When you click it you see what you gain at what lv, which sub classes exist and what those sub classes gain at what lv.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
100% agree.

I assume they'll need to completely overhaul the class information system anyways, because of multiclassing eventually being implemented.

It'll be crazy to think that they'll let you take a level in any of the 12 classes but you'll have no idea what each of those do.

I think the system Pathfinder KM/WoTR uses does a decent job of laying out what you get by level (although in excution, Owlcat's has a problem of not being very accurate with their charts).

veteran
veteran
+1

More generally, all D&D information that is relevant to BG3 should be explained within the game somewhere. Requiring players to go to the wiki/outside D&D rulebooks is a terrible and unfriendly design decision. Games should not encourage players to alt+tab.

F
addict
addict
F
+1 to everything that was proposed here

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
veteran
veteran
+1

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
addict
addict
Don't remember how it was in bg2 but otherwise I can't remember playing a single crpg where the progression chart isn't visible in game in some way no matter what system they use. So yes, definitely agree with everyone here.

journeyman
journeyman
Also for racial abilities/spells that come at later levels.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by smberg
Also for racial abilities/spells that come at later levels.
Agreed ...
I thought they allready did that when i read:
Originally Posted by V_Ben
Added race tooltip in the examine panel.

Fixed displaced scrollbar when having race-specific skills added during level-up.
in https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=792767#Post792767 ...

Dissapointing. frown

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
S
S
Also the Pathfinder games did this very well. There is no reason not to do this (except expense). But in D&D 5e at the moment it seems that there are not so many possibilities to choose from. As i understand you have even to decide to higher your attributes or to choose a feat? In D&D 3.5 as well as Pathfinder you can increase your attributes AND choose a feat. Furthermore you can choose all 2 level ups a feat. In this game the feats came with the weapons you use? So during the level up there is not much to do. You even can not increase some skills like tricks or perception.

Last edited by schpas; 17/10/21 10:29 AM.
veteran
veteran
I always feel a strong urge to jump up and say something when people start blaming 5e for issue that Larian have created in BG3... but I should avoid getting into a rant about it here

D&D 5e has a LOT of possibilities to choose from and ways to build and design your character that are interesting, varied and highly flavoursome.

BG3 does not, currently, at least by comparison.

veteran
veteran
+1 Yes, that will be especially important once multiclassing is added.

Agree, this is a good idea. So I expect Larian to dismiss it

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
+1 I also liked how Solasta did this.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
They definitely should do this. I imagine this is something they'll implement later down the line when things have been finalized some more.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1 , alternatively, expand and elaborate more tooltips (e.g. hovering over the 'druid' class gives a short description of the class) and develop a full rules/lore/mechanics compendium which is both separately accessible in-game and from the menu's that provides exhaustive information about classes, thus including a kind of 'level up tree' (cf. AoE or Civ's technology tree) as well as one detailed example build for each class that serves to highlight the important elements in terms of ability scores, spell selection, etc. and how they interact with different play styles (e.g. utility mage vs glass canon or strength based fighter vs. dex based fighter, single class builds vs. builds for multiclassing) etc. etc.
I guess (hoped) this is planned anyway as the current tooltips are more of a proof of concept for in game cross referenced tooltips as they still lack in specific information. This is especially confusing for spells in relation to charisma vs. intelligence casters (e.g. does the tooltip give the correct info in terms of spellcasting or attack/save abilities or does it provide the general rule and am I assumed to know that a particular spell although described as using intelligence as a spellcasting ability ALSO relies on charisma for sorcerers ? concretely I would like to be able to have a specific explanation of what 'attack/save : constitution' means for my current character rather than a general explanation of attack and save rolls)

Link Copied to Clipboard