Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Umbra
I'm going toplace a bet on Vlaakith being the Absolute.

We know she's plotting to ascend to godhood from lichdom, she's been putting her needs ahead of the Gith purpose for centuries already, this could be her endgame.

The artifact could be her phylactory or something of that sort. Semi-sentient and containing much of her pre-lich personality and ambition - lead the Githyanki to victory over the mind-flayers. It is opposing Vlaakith, and doesn't want to fall into her hands via the Gith who have been sent out hunting the "weapon", or the cultists.

Vlaakith has fought Illithids for a long time and probably understands them very well. Discovering and manipulating an Illithid plot to her benefit instead of destroying it would be risky, but if the reward is tricking her ancient enemies into helping her ascend, it would be tempting.

Remember when Lazy talks about the K'lirr library? Vlaakith is smart and extremly well informed about every race religion and organisation, powerful in her own self and with forces to command and with a racial portfolio there for the taking, she's halfway there already.

If I had more confidence in the writing and the set up, then the Absolute could just be
Time.

That's what I thought they were going to do with it on my first run. Like that they were going to make the Baldur's Gate version of Dark with a traveler theme, since it was just gaining popularity when this one came out. Or Time but with a "memory-travel" or "dream-travel" riff on the more standard time-travel motif, like where we never actually left the tank. It would have explained many things about the gameworld, including why the gameworld feels like Time is notably absent, or perhaps how this game connects with the originals etc. I mean BG1 actually opened with that Nietzsche quotation from "Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future" way back in 1998, so it's not like it couldn't work there with some provenance. Maybe explains how we get Minsc back or whatever. But now I don't want them to go that route, because I don't really trust Larian to do it justice. I'm not sure they are sophisticated enough in the writing to pull it off, while still keeping the tight lid on. I think it's something they could have done, but not when the game is releasing in an EA like this with everyone watching over their shoulders, and where a plot reveal of that sort early on would probably ruin it. For a concept like that to work, the game really needs to present as more cohesive from the getgo, since the concept tends to fall apart on close scrutiny and pacing is key. They have enough in the set up for it to carry though, or at least I thought it did, and that would have provided some meta interest for a gameworld that already routinely includes Planar Travel. Probably the only thing left untapped from a narrative standpoint that hasn't already been done to death in D&D campaigns. You know, trying to build the idea of 'replay' right into it at the foundation hehe. But again, I think they'd be hard put to do it up proper now, without it feeling overly gimmicky. I think it would be derided as too derivative or out genre at this point, to do a Matrix version of Faerun, but it would have been cool a year ago lol.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 30/09/21 12:02 PM.
F
addict
addict
F
How about Shadowheart?

She is absolutely good looking, which may be a hint, haha.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
veteran
veteran
She is? O_o
Didnt notice so far ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
F
stranger
stranger
F
The goblin priestess refers to the Absolute as "she"

"Whatever the Absolute tells me to. Don't worry-She loves you. I can tell."

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Faustus
The goblin priestess refers to the Absolute as "she"

"Whatever the Absolute tells me to. Don't worry-She loves you. I can tell."
Does she even when you made your dream person a male?
Since as far as i know, few people mentioned it changed its pronoun.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Are you implying the Absolute is the dream manifestation itself? I don't know about the male part, just something I've picked up on..

veteran
veteran
Not me specificly, but its one of common theories. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I kinda figure out who's the one of the Absolute chosen.
"Ketheric Throm, the Absolute Chosen"
around 39:25[video:youtube]
[/video]
it's a perfect fit for the description for one of the chosen
an armoured male elf, exuding power and command
and I might also dig out how things happened from the past to the present.
A bunch of people (include Halsin) tried to defeat Katheirc Thorm at the moonrise tower. Yet he managed to release the curse before being pushed out of the cliff and died(for which Halsin was likely responsible for that). Then the Absolute found his dead body, resurrected him and made him a Chosen. It kinda also explains why the cult of Absolute can survive in that area.

old hand
old hand
What do you think of the new cinematic scene at the entrance to the goblin camp? Who are these three chosen ones?

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
veteran
veteran
When you say "new" ... you mean patch 5 new, or patch 6 new? laugh

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I played baldurs gate last December last time

Attempts to hear the full dialogue of the Absolute in the cast scene were unsuccessful:
- I did not take Shadow Heart to the party - she caught up with me on the cast scene
- I threw it off Natuloid, the artifact dropped
- I killed her near the chapel, the artifact also dropped
I should try to ignore SH completely. A strange woman with her artifact, I want to know what the Absolute wanted. Apparently the opportunity to give the artifact to the Absolute will be in the Moon Towers

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I played baldurs gate last December last time

Attempts to hear the full dialogue of the Absolute in the cast scene were unsuccessful:
- I did not take Shadow Heart to the party - she caught up with me on the cast scene
- I threw it off Natuloid, the artifact dropped
- I killed her near the chapel, the artifact also dropped
I should try to ignore SH completely. A strange woman with her artifact, I want to know what the Absolute wanted. Apparently the opportunity to give the artifact to the Absolute will be in the Moon Towers
well, I kinda answer your question partially. And I don't think you can't really give the artifact to the Absolute this early.
the artifact clearly has a significant role in the whole game. And it has its own consciousness. It shows you its anxiety when you are close to people who want to take it. Also, the artifact will bounce back and shock you if you drop it on the ground(you need to observe it from your menu)

I think the Absolute and their followers represent Christianity, or atleast take heavy inspiration from Christianity. If you notice, the symbol of the absolute is a combition of symbols, each one belonging to one of the dead three. i think the Absolute's symbol represents a holy trinity, and the Absolute is Jesus, in the sense that the Absolute is essentially the incarnation of the dead three, in the same way jesus was in the Christian holy trinity.

I think the Absolute is a brand new character, who is the dead three, but at the same time isn't. They are a "what if the dead three had a baby"

Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard