Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
schpas Offline OP
OP Offline
S
After killing the old hag and BEFORE entering the underdark i got levl. 4. So within act 1 i reached lvl. 4 very fast. Assuming the game will go until act 3 maybe a level cap at level 10 would be ridiculous?
Furthemore i saw a lot of vidos on YT where the only way to win the hard fights later was to push down the foes to the abyss. Will i have to cheese to win the hard battles? The game looks sometimes more like a climbing/jumping simulator than BG.

E
addict
addict
E
Yeah I agree, pretty sure this been raised elsewhere. BG1 was a slog at times for sure but there was a tangible sense of achievement when you levelled up because it was so infrequent.

I detest the mechanic of pushing foes into the abyss, the couple of times I used it was out of sheer exasperation at how long and difficult some of the fights were. It's pure comic book super hero vibes how you can shove enemies so far, rather than a few feet which feels more realistic. My main concern at the time was how do I get the loot from killing the boss if their body is now hundreds of feet below and technically off screen? The verticality brings another aspect to fights but there is too much emphasis on it; I don't recall a single battle that took place on a flat plane.

journeyman
journeyman
I think level progression should be slowed a bit.

To still give players a sense of progression, maybe add other little rewards between levels. E.g. the powers you get from the tadpole are a cool perk that aren't tied to your level. The extra attacks they give weapons could be added as perks instead of just giving you them all at once. Maybe make it so making X number of attacks or killing X number of enemies with a slashing weapon will unlock Lacerate or whatever. That way, you're still getting something for the time you put in without feeling like you're going to hit the cap so soon.

I think a lot of us probably have the habit to play thoroughly, so we're all going to hit the cap faster. Hitting the cap early takes away from the fun. I haven't even finished EA yet destpite over 300 hours because what's the point once I hit level 4?

G
stranger
stranger
G
Larian has said that they had been considering improving the level cap to somewhere above level 10 in an interview a few months ago, so in that case I think in the case the player reaches level 5/6 at act one is totally acceptable.

About the complaint of the abyss, personally, I never pushed down the foes to the abyss in any fights through patch 6. I indeed found some fights were difficult, but eventually, I found a way to pass through, or S/L and try to find a better initial position of my characters. I might push down the enemy to the lower ground from the roof/bridge to make some damage, but honestly I never tried to push down the enemies to the abyss, since if I do that I will lose loot. I thought this is a good mechanic to let you decide if you want to do this: to make the fight easier but completely lose the loot of this enemy, or try your best to find an easier way to win the fight. And I don't think pushing down the foes is neccessary to win the fight for any fights in this game.

Last edited by GSNDJB1; 17/10/21 10:41 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
I got to level 4 even before the hag. I just went north to kill the gnolls and it was enough to get my level. I agree it is slightly too fast. It would make certain combats more interesting if we didn't get to level 4 mid act 1.

I would probably use a party of 4 if it was slower to level up honestly. At the moment, I only use 2 characters in my party to keep combat interesting. If not, battles are just boring slaughters.

veteran
veteran
+1 to slower level progression. In particular, the jump from level 2 to 3 happens way too quickly. Level 3 should be attained sometime after the first grove battle - maybe after the first or second battle in the blighted village or swamp depending on the order done.
Level 4 could be reached after the grove battle (the full invasion one), or perhaps shortly before it if you explore the NW edges of the map before beginning the raid.
Then, it'd be appropriate to reach level 5 near the end of the Underdark.
If you did absolutely everything, you could reach level 5 at the beginning of the Underdark.

Not a fan of implementing "make X slashing attacks to unlock lacerate" types of mini powerups. Those'd be more appropriate for an mmo or hack n slash game.

journeyman
journeyman
Nautilus ---> Ravaged Beach ---> Druid Grove ---> Dank Crypt ---> Owlbear Nest ---> Blighted Village ---> Whispering Depth ---> reached lvl 4 during the Risen Road.

veteran
veteran
You are supposed to give first few level as fast as possible ...
That is why most people leave Tutorial with level 2, if they killed every cambion, even halfway to level 3.

Then the progressions slows, thrust me. laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard