Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Shadowheart is my favorite. She has her secrets, yes, but she is also very practical.
The rest ist meh for me and Astarion I openly despise. I'm glad, you can send him away, after he attacks you.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
addict
addict
I mean, its not like we have a whole lot of choices right now...and even in the future. Max 8 <companions>? BG2 was 20. Yea less detailed but thats over 20 years ago.
Low companion count, low classes count ...wtf is Larian doing with their millions?

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 18/10/21 03:47 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Each companion in BG2 had ~15 minutes of voice work, in BG3 each one is on track for 15 hours of lines. And every NPC is fully voiced, too.

Last edited by polliwagwhirl; 19/10/21 06:53 AM.
L
addict
addict
L
Honestly, I think the Origins system is eating up a lot of those resources, particularly in regards to the comparatively low roster of companions. Try playing a cleric of Shar, or a Githyanki . Hard to not get the feeling you are playing second fiddle to Shadowheart or Laezel.

As for my favorite companion, I'd have to go with Shadowheart. Not only is she a Cleric, which is really, really useful in-game both mechanically and with the large number of magic items that synergize well with healers, but she's also the one seemingly most directly involved with the plot of the game, what with her puzzle box and the emphasis on Shar v Selune in Act I an all that. But most importantly, she has way more dialogue than any other companion as far as I can tell. That helps a lot in getting attached to characters.

A
addict
addict
A
Lae'zel and Wyll are my favourites, their dialogues make me smile. smile
Gale comes second, last place is shared by Shadowheart and Astarion.

S
S
Definitely Astarion. Maybe Shadowheart as well.

E
addict
addict
E
Ummmmm...none of them? Personally I couldn't stand any of the current companions. Such a departure from the previous games.

I'm waiting, admittedly in vain, for a companion who feels a little more grounded and whose background isn't quite so exceptional and/or far fetched. Seeing as the next in line will apparently be a
halfling werewolf
and Minsc, who feels like some token bone thrown to fans of the original games, I don't hold much hope.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
I really like all the characters. I guess I’m fondest of Astarion and Daisy. Daisy is awful but I am still intrigued by him.

Astarion is interesting to me, because of what he wants to do with the tadpoles. It makes sense to me entirely why he might want to keep his. Also my character seems to smile whenever he sees Astarion more than the others. He is amusing. My character is interesting in freeing Astarion, as he is a cleric of Elistraee and they do not tolerate slavery so he hopes to help him someday.

I find Gale character charming but a bit of a blowhard. The other characters seem to think he likes my guy, but so far all he talks are about women he’s found interesting. He is cute but seems taken. He needs to indicate he’s interested in my character to be a convincing romance. He seems mor like a fun drinking buddy.

Shadow has a bit of the Winona rider thing going on, but I like her. Her commentary is touching and insightful. She seems friendly with my character and I imagine they are good friends.

Wyl is my least favorite character. He is just too wrapped up in his ex even more so than Gale. Perhaps I would like him more if he was introduced earlier but he seems too interested in revenge.

LA’zael I ever take for some reason. Her appearence reminds me of the grinch and I find her distracting. I do like her dialog, I just am not hugely into the Githyanki.

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
Lae'zel, hands down for me. Her voice is an exotic combination of rough, passionate, and breathy.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Lae'zel ...
The only regrets i have is Narators comentary about night spend with her ... it sounds that whole sex was just awfull, and the next day you are feeling just horrible. :-/ Wich sounds weird to me, especialy if my character is ALSO Githyanki. O_o

I took that night spent with her as being extremely intense and exhausting. Mind blowingly great instead of awful.

veteran
veteran
Shadowheart of course

"it's not like i like you or anything..baka!"

apprentice
apprentice
My favorite is Gale, I usually play Wizards, and really enjoy talking about magic with him, and like the attitude they gave him. His background story could be toned down bit though (which is true for all of them - none of them seems to be a believable level 1 character, but I'm not that bothered by it).

My least favorite is Lae'zel. If there was a good alternative I'd never take her along.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Caelir
My favorite is Gale, I usually play Wizards, and really enjoy talking about magic with him
I love playing a sorcerer and telling him that sorcerers are better than wizards! laugh

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thinking about this, I don't really have anyone who is a favorite to me yet, they all need a lot of work still. I really want to see the other companions and hope some favorites will be among them.

journeyman
journeyman
I always have a hard time deciding which divine caster I am going to take with me in my party: the innocent winged elf, the manipulative Harper, or the damaged but redeemable evil castaway. All of them are romanceable and they will bicker with each other if I have them together. Love seeing the fireworks! … oh, wait … that was BG2. Only have just the one option in BG3. I guess I’ll take Shadowheart.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Icelyn
My favorite is Gale, I usually play Wizards, and really enjoy talking about magic with him
I love playing a sorcerer and telling him that sorcerers are better than wizards! laugh

If that was an option for Sorcerers, that'd be great (to take him down a notch, although it's wrong of course : ) ). I really like the class specific replies in the game.

A Wild Sorcerer is really fun to play (and Metamagic keeps things interesting), but in the end I always end-up enjoy playing a Wizard the most.

addict
addict
The only one I can take seriously now is Lae'zel.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Reminds me that if you play as a sorcerer, you can have unique dialogue options with Shadowheart when the weird magic appears on her left hand. Those unique dialogues kinda indicate who she really was before her memory wipe.

veteran
veteran
Still Lae'zel for me. First come first served lol

I worry about them switching around the looks and animations and tones though, in response to gripes about them being too abrasive. Like Lae'zel's new intro facial animations, they feel slightly puppy dog eye'd now (less evocative for me, unless that's just something down to the 16 in charisma and I never noticed before?) Also the weird thing with her new 'at ease' look, as if she's joined the secret service or a funeral home or something.

I can only guess maybe she's meant to be resting her hands on the hilt of a gith sword and the sword's just not there yet? I'm hoping its just glitching right now. I liked ice queen Shadowheart more than endearing shadowheart, and the whole bickerfest.

The more time I've been forced to spend with the fab 5 the less I like them changed. Just feels like EA special edition and backtracking. Make some new characters instead if we want party members who come across friendlier or nicer or whatever. I don't need that for this quintet.

Changing faces at this point also seems whack. Just look at the reaction to Minthara's appearance change. If they do it with Gale too? I get the voice actor wanting to be seen, but what about the dude who stood for the model scan? Seems like he'd be bummed. Or maybe they really aren't scanned off as accurately as at first it seemed. But still, that's Gale now. They can change his gear but not his face or even his hair. That's too much his thing at this point.

If they change Lae'zels face to make her less grinchy at this late stage in the process I'd be pretty annoyed there too. Though thankfully they probably won't cause she's in the big opening movie hehe.

Just give the companions modular head choices if they want more than one look for them, but retain the defaults we've come to know. At least as an option. Haircuts same deal. Give us options before taking away what we're used to.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 19/10/21 07:39 AM.
veteran
veteran
Even if they aren't.

There's a reason if, like them or not, wizards are generally considered the all-around strongest class in D&D 5th edition (and frankly even in many of the previous ones).

Last edited by Tuco; 19/10/21 08:26 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R
Wyll I suppose. His folk hero aesthetic feels about right for a level 3-4 character and reaching by a pact is a nice touch and I like his heroic selfishness. Lae'zel would be next but she's just so chaotic stupid it grates fast and right now that's basically her entire personality but she does at least have a potentially interesting arc. Shadowheart is too dim to be involved in any kind of subterfuge, Gale is an entertaining jerk but someone really thought they were writing a character for an epic level game. The less said by or about Astarion the better.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard