Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheHero
Astarion is the Kid which has no family, was enslaved, made undead and living for eternity, has to drink blood which is disgusting, is angry about his life.
That anger which defines his actions is what we can deal with or just dismiss him as its totally "normal???" in our real life society.
Thats called "Cancel Culture"
Just make him go away, i dont need it. Why should i have anything to do with disfunctional people. They dont have a place here.

You might say this is what you want, by saying that you dont like his character.
Maybe because you have to deal with his sad life in this game and it is outside of your comfort zones?

I dont know, i think its good that hes here in this game for us to remember us that theres so many different people out there and everyone has the right to get his chance of getting back to be the good guy.
As everyone is intrinsically born altruistic into our real world.

what in the world are you talking about?

Are you ok? Have you had a chance to touch grass recently?

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
I enjoy Astarion. I like all the companions, but seem to prefer Astarion, Shadowheart and Gale.

I actually can get where Astarion is coming from with his feelings about the tadpole. And I like his backstory. My cleric is quite smitten. Sadly Astarion turned him down, my first walkthrough.

I think my least favorite is Wyll. The blade persona wears me out. But I don’t hate him. I just tend to leave him in camp a lot.

I don't have any strong opinion regarding any companion. But I I sort of like Lae'zel, because her and her Githyanki kin remind me of the Jaffa from Stargate. The way they talk and their mannerisms are just like the Jaffa.

Last edited by cool-dude01; 16/10/21 01:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
I killed him during my current playthrough. When he attacked my Gith sorceress, I switched to SHadowheart and started a fight. Feels really good. His introduction scene is kind of messed up (which is the topic of another thread) in that he attacks you, but you only have the opportunity to forgive him. You can aggro most of the other companions for far less stuff, so I think, we should get the opportunity to aggro Astarion too - he is the only one outright attacking you.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
The only thing I like about Astarion is the voice actor's voice. I've tried several ways to kill him.
Don't do it in camp, those not in your current party attack you too
Once he's discovered to be a Vampire, about to turn into what I can only think of as a Vampiric Illithid is not a good thing. Especially since he seems to want to hang onto the Tadpole. But, I also mostly play a Cleric of Kelemvor, who wouldn't tolerate him to exist.

veteran
veteran
I don't like that Astarion's starting armor gives a disadvantage to stealth checks. It's one of the few outfits in the game right now that looks interesting, so it would be nice to be able to keep it on him for a while. But he needs to be able to stealth about without disadvantage so he has to change into a regular boring set of leather immediately.

And speaking of... if he has disadvantage on stealth, why is the perception check to notice he's about to attack so hard? Shouldn't he be making a disadvantaged roll against Tav's regular perception roll? I would imagine Tav would succeed more often than seems to be the case if that disadvantaged status was actually being factored in.

As far as my thoughts about Astarion in general, I'm mostly okay with him. He's an interesting character, and I appreciate that he wants to keep the tadpole and find a way to control it. That's a fresh perspective compared to the others, and it makes sense. I could see a lot of people actually wanting that, considering that the tadpole comes with power.

I do have another silly issue with Astarion that keeps bothering me, though. It's a game mechanic thing. I don't like his low strength. It means he can't jump very far, and that really bothers me during the game. I want Astarion to be this cool vampire, sneaking about the darkness, moving fast, full of grace, and then leaping like a magical being... only womp womp, his leap is limp and paltry and entirely unimpressive.

Last edited by JandK; 16/10/21 06:39 PM.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Yeah, I like Astarion. He's pretty interesting. I could see myself using him for the rogue.

I really hope they add a good-aligned waifu character at some point. I also hope they let us have more than 4 characters in a party.

Last edited by TripSin; 16/10/21 06:33 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like his intro. It is in character for him. Sneaky, untrusting, etc. Agree we should have more options for dealing with him aggressively in response (besides killing outright).

He has grown on me. A bit emo moody for my personal taste, but I appreciate that some folks dig that vibe. I like him more in recent patches.

My favorites are still Gale and LaZael. They have the best dialogue imho and I like their motivations and backstories (what I know so far about them anyway). Wyll is annoying and Shadowheart is too teen angsty for my personal taste. So I usually run with Gale, LaZael, and Asterion.

I am really excited for new characters tho. A more forthright character who is not so…idk…tortured (?) would improve the party dynamics I think. Someone with a more accessible and sympathetic story. Like they want to find out what is happening to save their village or something. Classic tropes in the midst of all these angst/angry ones would add a bit of balance for sure.

stranger
stranger
He's easily my favourite character so far in the whole thing.

Shadow is annoying as can be and is just too emo for me.
Lae'zel is ugly and awful.

Gale and Wyll are usually my second, although I feel like wyll doesn't have enough to his story yet to push him too far for me.

veteran
veteran
I just found out, that you now can basically tell Astarion to get lost during the first conversation - that is a huge plus. Again, his really standoffish introduction should be punishable in some way - this is a start.

Doctor Who
After his off-putting attack when you first meet him, I've recruited him, but mostly let him sit in camp, so I haven't really gotten to know him as a character. His lockpicking doesn't seem significantly better than Shadow's, so the only reasons for me to bring him are for rogue DPS, to enjoy his company, or to access story/lore elements. To convince me that the latter categories might apply, he needs to do a better job of selling his advantages.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by teclis23
For me i genuinely dont like him. For me he just doesn't tick any boxes at all. Littereally none.

To clarify i really like lazael, Shadowheart and Gale. I think larian has done an awesome job with all three of these. But not Astarion.

What i dont like about Astarion is that he is just way to much of a pansy. The way he speaks, his body language, his personality are all just so of putting its not funny.

Is anyone else seeing this? I personally would like larian to remove him.

thoughts people?

If you don't like his personality you will have the option to take different characters once they add them all in the game.
I don't think the question of liking a character or not is a valid reason for blaming the company for it's design.

The only issue would be the way they are presenting themselves and their consistency. Shadowheart in this regard had major issues regarding consistency. Astarion from the get-go is consistent in his behaviour and emotions. Didn't play through patch #5 and #6 yet, will soon do.

But I, for one, absolutely loved the way Astarion was implemented. I hate his personality in every possible aspect but it doesn't matter. I think he's a well defined character and adds an interesting point of view on what happens in the game. In any RPG with party I always take conflicting characters to have many point of views on one case and Astarion tends to give you his opinion mid-game and has at least one conversation when he answers a question that was asked to your character. He does what he feels is important for himself.

I loved it. He's impacting the story with his personality. I would love other characters to do the same.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Banned
Banned
He's being impacted by countless magic missiles, more like stupid

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
I just found out, that you now can basically tell Astarion to get lost during the first conversation - that is a huge plus. Again, his really standoffish introduction should be punishable in some way - this is a start.

you can avoid the wrestling in the ground without a check? That would change a lot for me. Unless they let me avoid that without a roll or at least let me attack him through dialogue, he'll never be on my team.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Originally Posted by fylimar

you can avoid the wrestling in the ground without a check? That would change a lot for me. Unless they let me avoid that without a roll or at least let me attack him through dialogue, he'll never be on my team.
No, it's the discussion afterwards. You can basically tell him, that he has to go on alone, impliying, you don't want him in your group. Maybe you meet him again later, but he isn't in the druid grove, so maybe he joined the goblins.

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
I'm super grateful for him, he is my dream come true and the reason why I stared to be interested in this game. I feel as if they've red my mind and created exactly what I wanted, I'm still shocked tbh. A character I've always wanted to play with or observe in any medium.
I'm this kind of person who likes fictional characters which I would hate in real life. Plus I love stories about pretty jerks turned into vampires as a karmic punishment and I can't wait to discover more details of his backstory, meet his master and complete his personal quest.

veteran
veteran
I don't know if it's a new thing, or added in patch6, but I discovered I can just impale him when he tries to feed on me. Everyone is happy about the outcome:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

veteran
veteran
it's actually scripted into the cutscene? You can chooes [attack] or something similar?

veteran
veteran
it's actually scripted into the cutscene? You can chooes [attack] or something similar?
Well, the cutscene is now missing entirely for the entire sequence, but yeah, when you wake up you can react by reaching for a weapon, and impaling him with a stake.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Well, the cutscene is now missing entirely for the entire sequence, but yeah, when you wake up you can react by reaching for a weapon, and impaling him with a stake.

excellent smile Thanks for the info

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard