Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Lets say you could recruit any NPC from the patch 6 game into your party: who would you choose?

If you could complete a recruitment quest to get them in your party, what might it be?

If you got to respec their Attributes, Background or Class from a mini char creation menu what stats would pick for your fav NPCs?

Would you want to change their hair or makeup or cosmetic features if you could do so at camp?

What if you could do this for everyone and anyone you meet in the first act?

Do you like the idea?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Add to the list or the pic if you like. I think it would be fun if we could do something like this in-game for the EA!

Last edited by Black_Elk; 20/10/21 05:36 AM.
veteran
veteran
Minthara, no question. I can only hope that they have a lot planned for her character. She won me over in the scene where, after her vulnerability was revealed, she said, "You belong to me now, and I belong to you."

She is easily the most fascinating and compelling character, in my opinion.

Failing that, I would recruit a goblin, and I suppose Sazza would do. I've never seen a game that did goblins better than this one. It begs to have a goblin as a companion, they're done so well.

veteran
veteran
friendly tiefling woman...and that's it.

veteran
veteran
Halsin!!!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Aradin. I like his voice actor alot. I also think he would be fun to have in the group because he is not rich, vain, whiny, or tortured. Just a classic street kid turned adventurer. I would love for him to deliver some choice verbal smack downs to the others when they get on a pontificating kick. The dialogue basically writes itself.

If not him…Sazza or the pain fetish dude. For the funnies.

Least favs…milk toast chars the crying bard and the soul coin tiefling. Minthara and Zevlor and Halsin should remain in their respective roles in the gameworld instead of being shoehorned in.

But honestly…I want new chars for the group, not any of these random npcs. I am not a fan of having everyone u meet be a potential recruit. I prefer chars that have a viable and at least semi-believable reason for traveling with me

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hehe and so now the General idea: The Early Bird Special!

I just took from this post made earlier tonight. What if we could do this recruitment concept not just for our favorite and most worthy NPC, but for any NPC?

I mean for the EA experience, not necessarily what ends up in the final game. Just something to keep us entertained during the interim, using tools already at our disposal. Basically the models we've seen, with a mini char creation prompt when they get recruited to respec, after completing whatever sort of mission makes sense to bring them into the fold.

Anyone and Everyone who makes an appearance in the first act, is just so we aren't gatekeeping our tastes. All the NPCs that people are listing- above and below. The whole spread! Everyone has their price, some thing we can do as a player to get them into the mix. Anyone could potentially join the team. Would that be fun? For now, while we wait for New Characters?

The idea is to open up Companions other than the Origins, and do it in a way that's fun and engaging, but still true to the content thus far. Build our parties not out of Mercs really, but from the NPCs that already exist! The advantage would be that these characters already exist in the game, and so many already have story-ins and potential motivations to join up. Most could have some barks, simple stuff "Leave it for the Goblins to Kill" and the EA player could conceivably recruit anyone they want! If they like the NPC and want to complete that NPC's recruitment quest.

The Early Bird Special

NPC action figures we can collect at camp, and use on our adventures. Every NPC who has a little cutscene could graduate from NPC to PC! Wouldn't that be rad!

Aradin's Bark: ".... Form a Line!" hehe

Last edited by Black_Elk; 20/10/21 03:20 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Aradin's Bark: ".... Form a Line!" hehe
Aradin’s bark would be “Run away!”

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Better! Way better! You got the idea!

hehe

enthusiast
enthusiast
it's kinda a spoiler to put that woman in those photos
the tiefling with broken horns is Karlach. that's how she actually going to look like and She's actually going to be your companion. A real pair of broken horns. bigger model. a lot of scars and tattoos that show how Zarial marks her. And she's a paladin(apparently).

old hand
old hand
True Soul Nere could be an interesting party member, especially if you manage to tell him there is no Absolute. Out of the ones you have listed I would probably say Sazza and Karlach and maybe Minthara. Depending on the type of character I am playing, I probably could find a reason to have almost any of them in the party. Just not the bard. I hate bards.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Good point ALexws, I shopped Nettie over her instead to get a Dwarf in there. Just wanted to give an impression hehe

Now I wonder what Aradin would want from us to risk going back? lol

Like obviously you'd have to take his side in the first encounter with Zevlor, but then what?

True soul good call there!

Ps. Added Scratch up there just now from Niara's suggestion below. Rath too for another I liked. I think now they should all be pretty much early NPCs up there at the top, so hopefully not too spoilery for a header. Added a warning to the thread title just in case. Just wanted to show some flair for a visual and give the idea a little kick though. Maybe this could be my Early Bird Special dozen, but other players would of course have their own NPCs who they love. As the EA player finds new areas and discovers an NPC who they really dig, they can then explore further what's needed to recruit that NPC into their group, and have their own camp collection for EA to keep their favs around and play with them. Some might just want money, some might need persuasion checks, others a special task that convinces them to join up. The NPC stats could change over to PC stats at that point via a point buy just like the main PC, once they're recruited, just so they're not too OP or too weak.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 20/10/21 05:51 AM.
veteran
veteran
the sassy Tiefling scout watching the Githyanki on the bridge. Anyone?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Definitely! Bridge Tief, why not! Need a new scout, how bout her? She seems to know what's what, and must be up to something out there right!

I think a mini quest written in text, combined with a bark or two could make pretty much anyone a winner. Then after a few months playing around with the concept, perhaps Larian can see who everyone picked or if any ideas they didn't think of before suddenly present themselves. This info could be used to inform their decisions about what makes an interesting potential companion in addition to just the Origins.

veteran
veteran
Hmmm..

Me, Scratch, Halsin and Abdirak, there Party Filled.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Perfect Crew! grin

veteran
veteran
I also remember thinking at one point that 'Novice Crusher' was certainly a companion available for people siding with the goblins, though it seems Sazza is the more popular choice.

veteran
veteran
Withers the Talkative Skeleton Guardian of Tombs, lol.

No, not really.

Minthara for sure and Karlach and Halsin, but I also liked Elegis, I think that's who they meant by tiefling on the bridge, and Nadira, the pink haired telescope tiefling. Oh, and dang, what's her name? The goblin with Volo.

Oh, and Mol... Lol.

A
addict
addict
A
Nettie. I really like the druid class, but I also like the sorcerer class, and that would allow me to have both in the party. smile

veteran
veteran
Nette, Abdirak, Alfira (a Party needs a Bard) and Scratch as Camp companion.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Heheh nice! I tossed in a few more of those mentions, and a few that I remembered having some flair near the start, just to give the further impression of what might be possible for wide net. Gotta get Gnome in there too and a Halfling right? Tuffet and Us? How about the Novice dream team? lol There's gotta be some fun combos already and that's just a handful really
grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard