Page 1 of 2 1 2
#795029 21/10/21 02:31 AM
M
MartinC Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Rather disappointed that after 12 months since Early Access Release that you still can't progress beyond 4th Level. The Character Generation and progression system is already known, so it is hard to understand why you have to spend the majority of the game that is available already at Max Level.

MartinC #795072 21/10/21 09:34 AM
stranger
stranger
Level 5 means that 3rd-level spells have to be implemented, this requires work (animations, sounds, mechanics) and class features. So, be patient until full release or (maybe) the next patch.

Last edited by vesnatallstag; 21/10/21 09:35 AM.

Smiley day to you!
MartinC #795098 21/10/21 11:12 AM
M
MartinC Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Given that to make it to Early Access there was a minimum viable product, which included 4th level, then 12 months is ample time to work it out in product. Of course a roadmap is always helpful in situations ..

MartinC #795100 21/10/21 11:20 AM
veteran
veteran
Im much more disappointed about:
- thigs we still are missing on those 4 levels we have (like pacts for Warlock, spells for casters, weapons for everyone, the fact that there are only one generic armor per type, druid having the same limited options in shapeshifting without any option to learn another, etc.) ...
- things we have, but they dont work (like Devil's Sight, Loviathar's Scourge mace, etc.) ...
- things we have, are working by Larian design, but people wanted them changed (Action / bonus action ... there is lot of topics on this, so i will not even try to list them, but Shove can work as perfect example for all) ...
- and finaly things we have, was working by Larian design, at least some of us liked them as they were, but they were changed for worse (perfect example here is Action bar ... litteraly cant imagine anyone who would be happy about its reduction)

Seem kinda ridiculous to build something on broken basics. :-/
I would dare to say that until those things are fixed, it would be misstake from Larian to start looking for next level ... wich would mean another bunch of problems.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 21/10/21 11:21 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
MartinC #795102 21/10/21 11:27 AM
veteran
veteran
What do you mean? Larian never claimed to offer more then 4 levels during Early Access (or Alpha test or whatever it should be called).

It is not Early Access, like lets say Hades, that will grow and grow until the game wraps up development. It is a testing ground that Larian uses for, well, testing, until they finish working on the game. If Larian will want to test higher levels, then they will add them in. If they feel they don't have a need for that, then most likely they won't.

MartinC #795147 21/10/21 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by MartinC
Rather disappointed that after 12 months since Early Access Release that you still can't progress beyond 4th Level. The Character Generation and progression system is already known, so it is hard to understand why you have to spend the majority of the game that is available already at Max Level.

I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that Patch 7 will be the last update before the game leaves Early Access, and that if they do decide to release more levels, it will be through that update.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that Patch 7 will be the last update before the game leaves Early Access, and that if they do decide to release more levels, it will be through that update.
I'm not sure if you're being very optimistic (you think it will be a relatively short time until full release) or very pessimistic (you think we'll only get 1 more patch in the next ~16 months). But in a recent interview Swen basically confirmed full release wouldn't be until 2023.

So it's more likely that we'll get ~3-4 additional patches before full release. Maybe one in January-March, one in late summer/early fall 2022, and then a final one in early 2023. Hopefully one of them will have level 5.

veteran
veteran
I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that Patch 7 will be the last update before the game leaves Early Access
Not according to the recent interview. There will be a longer break then usual before patch 7 arrive, but there are to be multiple further updates after:

It [patch7] will take several months for sure. We're doing this balancing act where we're releasing these updates, but we're also trying to finish the game. And every single update is like release because you have to really tie up and polish everything, and it interferes with release. So it'll certainly be several months.

It's not that it's going to be the last update that we're going to be doing - no, there will be actually multiple updates still coming - but don't expect one next month or in a couple of months. It will take us a little bit of time before we're going to be able to actually do the next update where there's going to be a whole bunch of stuff.

Last edited by Wormerine; 21/10/21 04:51 PM.
MartinC #795165 21/10/21 04:53 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
Agreed with more content, level 5 is needed.
I hit level 4 around the blight village.

Level 4 don't inspired me to do a dual class, most level one skills are useless in the underdark.
I would like a Sorcerer lvl 3 with wizard lvl 2 to make use of short rest.

I think one major update for each missing class ( Monk, Paladin and Bard ), with level 5, karlach and balancing the game ( headband of intellect at 17 :'( )

mrfuji3 #795205 21/10/21 06:57 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
I'm not sure if you're being very optimistic (you think it will be a relatively short time until full release) or very pessimistic (you think we'll only get 1 more patch in the next ~16 months). But in a recent interview Swen basically confirmed full release wouldn't be until 2023.

So it's more likely that we'll get ~3-4 additional patches before full release. Maybe one in January-March, one in late summer/early fall 2022, and then a final one in early 2023. Hopefully one of them will have level 5.

The game needs much more time. 2023 would be ok but release in 2022 would be terrible. There is a lot to do.

MartinC #795275 22/10/21 12:59 AM
I
stranger
stranger
I
yeah like its not that big of a deal to let us level past 4. Modders legit had higher levels up and running for patch 3 when it was out, I haven't checked since but it pissed me off. I was so excited to explore the new area then once I found out we are still capped at level 4 it took all my joy out. I also hope we get multiclassing so I can become a coffeelock.

Wormerine #795286 22/10/21 02:31 AM
I'm not sure if you're being very optimistic (you think it will be a relatively short time until full release) or very pessimistic (you think we'll only get 1 more patch in the next ~16 months).

I'm being pessimistic and basing my guess on Original Sin I&II.
Original Sin was in Early Access for half a year, and Original Sin II was in Early Access for a year, so I figured that Baldur's Gate III might be released around April, 2022, with an improved version being released in 2023.

But in a recent interview Swen basically confirmed full release wouldn't be until 2023.

Originally Posted by Wormerine
I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking that Patch 7 will be the last update before the game leaves Early Access
Not according to the recent interview. There will be a longer break then usual before patch 7 arrive, but there are to be multiple further updates after:

It [patch7] will take several months for sure. We're doing this balancing act where we're releasing these updates, but we're also trying to finish the game. And every single update is like release because you have to really tie up and polish everything, and it interferes with release. So it'll certainly be several months.

It's not that it's going to be the last update that we're going to be doing - no, there will be actually multiple updates still coming - but don't expect one next month or in a couple of months. It will take us a little bit of time before we're going to be able to actually do the next update where there's going to be a whole bunch of stuff.

I hope that's true.
There's a lot of improvements that the game would be worse without, and a lot of testing that probably can't be done without multiclassing and the other classes and levels, since some spells, actions and features aren't available right now.

MartinC #795374 22/10/21 02:25 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
As others have said, being capped really takes the joy out of the game for me. Most of the EA remains unexplored every time I play because of this; I'd rather make a new character.

I understand there are reasons for this and a mod fixes it (installed it yesterday, haven't tested it), but IMHO each patch with new content should slightly raise the level cap.

Miek #795497 22/10/21 07:08 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Miek
IMHO each patch with new content should slightly raise the level cap.
I wonder if you realize that in such case we would be waiting for those patches at least twice as long. O_o

MartinC #795512 22/10/21 07:51 PM
S
S
IMO they miscalculated. I am sure at least we could reach level 6 in AE. So a final level cap around level 10 would be to low (if there are more then act I). So they have to give you less XP during the begining hence they have to cancel some enemies cause you are not as powerful as now. Of course later you won't level up as fast as now but they they have to make sure that you do not reach the final level cap way before the end. So either they increase the final level cap up to 15 (maybe 20) or they decrease the amount of XP during act 1. But playing without level up is boring.

MartinC #795514 22/10/21 07:54 PM
veteran
veteran
I'd rather play 6 more monthes capped at level 4 until they fix what has to be and add what's missing than adding new problems with level 5 right now.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 22/10/21 07:55 PM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Maximuuus #795516 22/10/21 07:58 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
I'd rather play 6 more monthes capped at level 4 until they fix what has to be and add what's missing than adding new problems with level 5 right now.
+1

Maximuuus #795523 22/10/21 08:25 PM
veteran
veteran
The counterargument to this is that adding level 5 will exacerbate the current problems, making them more obvious (hopefully) to Larian that they need fixing. E.g., we'll actually see what the effect of double fireball is (triple with quicken+haste and a scroll), UI problems due to a whole additional level's worth of spells, how Larian implements Extra Attack, etc.

mrfuji3 #795532 22/10/21 09:41 PM
veteran
veteran
The counterargument to this is that adding level 5 will exacerbate the current problems, making them more obvious (hopefully) to Larian that they need fixing. E.g., we'll actually see what the effect of double fireball is (triple with quicken+haste and a scroll), UI problems due to a whole additional level's worth of spells, how Larian implements Extra Attack, etc.

That's a good point !

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
MartinC #795674 23/10/21 06:54 AM
veteran
veteran
Wait you could double cast Fireball?
I thought that Fireball is the same as Shatter, just with Fire instead of Thunder. O_o

And you cant double cast Shatter.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/10/21 06:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard