Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Niara
Originally Posted by JandK
If you had to hazard a guess, how many pieces of onyx would say have been in been in DnD modules over the years, including official treasure tables? How many of those pieces do you think have been mentioned as fashioned into jewelry?

I can field that one:

Not many, in fact. Very few instances are specifically identified as such, and the vast majority of those that are marked so are in the possession of dark characters, or characters with dark intentions or purposes. It is, indeed, a stone that can appear on random treasure tables for gemstones, certainly, but in terms of actually identified stones or jewellery in official modules? Very few that aren't in the keeping of evil or dark purposed characters.

You didn't field that. "Not many" is not an amount; it's a guess.

Depending on how many editions back you go, there's an enormous amount. It would take me weeks to go through all of my modules and old books.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
Onyx is often associated with evil deities in the Forgotten Realms.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Onyx#Rumors_and_Legends

"Unenchanted onyx was believed to cause bad luck when worn or carried. Elminster has confirmed this suspicion."
"The lesser drow deity Vhaeraun was known to occasionally send onyx to show his favour or disfavour to his followers."
"Similarly, black onyx was sacred to the Chultan demigod Eshowdow, and he valued unholy items made of it."
"It was a common tale that when Shar stepped on Toril, she left onyx stones as her tracks."

If you had to hazard a guess, how many pieces of onyx would say have been in been in DnD modules over the years, including official treasure tables? How many of those pieces do you think have been mentioned as fashioned into jewelry?

We're dealing with a specific setting here, however, instead of Dungeons & Dragons in general.

old hand
old hand
IMO, in The Forgotten Realms, wearing a prominently displayed round piece of onyx should arouse a degree of suspicion. Best case scenario, you've got a symbol akin to a manji: not quite a swastika, but close enough to catch unwanted attention.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
We're dealing with a specific setting here, however, instead of Dungeons & Dragons in general.

I've been following Forgotten Realms for over 30 years.

veteran
veteran
It's not a guess, JandK, it's a well informed generality. If you'd like to show us all of the counter-examples you have available to you, I'd be happy to rescind, but the reality is you will not find many. However, given the established lore for the realms, and other sources offered here, the onus is well and truly on you, in this case, to show that the use of onxy in jewellery for everyday people was commonplace and not suspicious, contra to the indications in those lore sources.

veteran
veteran
It's not a guess, JandK, it's a well informed generality. If you'd like to show us all of the counter-examples you have available to you, I'd be happy to rescind, but the reality is you will not find many. However, given the established lore for the realms, and other sources offered here, the onus is well and truly on you, in this case, to show that the use of onxy in jewellery for everyday people was commonplace and not suspicious, contra to the indications in those lore sources.

The onus is not on me to prove that onyx jewelry should be seen and recognized by everyone as a symbol of Shar.

veteran
veteran
I love that the argument is "it's just a circle..no connection at all to Sharr"...except she's a CLERIC OF SHARR. but sure, keep gaslighting everyone that said "uh, so, isn't the whole sharr thing a bit obvious?" by pretending it's a 20/20 hindsight issue.

old hand
old hand

I've been following Forgotten Realms for over 30 years.

You did say "DnD modules". I assumed you meant modules for generic D&D as well as every official campaign setting.

veteran
veteran
Here's another point, just to shore up a frequent apologetic, that the game is in EA and perhaps Larian is still building up to all this. If I'm an editor and someone hands me their rough draft asking for ideas, I'd think about it one way. If they hand me a manuscript and say "I think this is ready for publication how about you?" I'd read it differently.

We're already into this EA by like a year, and the groundwork for the Pantheon hasn't really been set up. Even though our default class during character creation is "Cleric" not much has been done to support the class or the concept of clericalism or divinity in FR. That other thread where people where mentioning how Clerics don't feel differentiated enough from each other makes one sort of point, but this is even more general. Basically that they are trying to pull of the Forgotten Realms sans deities, or where the actual deities from the lore are being usurped almost entirely by their new invented one. The mind flayer god, or the Absolute, or whatever it is hehe

I think they need to do a bit more in the set up. If it's not going to happen during char creation or immediately after, not dealt with in the opening cinematics, or during the Nautiloid escape. Then it needs to happen almost as soon as we hit the beach. During our First dream. First visit to a priest/healer. Whatever. Just something. Give that one to your cinematics team as the tall order of the year. Explain the cosmogony of the Forgotten Realms! You got like 3-5 minutes to pull it off! Go!
grin

Last edited by Black_Elk; 23/10/21 03:49 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I love that the argument is "it's just a circle..no connection at all to Sharr"...except she's a CLERIC OF SHARR. but sure, keep gaslighting everyone that said "uh, so, isn't the whole sharr thing a bit obvious?" by pretending it's a 20/20 hindsight issue.

It absolutely is hindsight. In that no one who saw someone wearing that circlet would jump to the conclusion that she was a priestess of Shar.

Except people who already knew. And then they'd be like, aha, I knew it all along because of that circlet. Soooo obvious.

veteran
veteran
oct 2021, strawmanning, gaslighting? no. i'm done with you. You're not here to argue in good faith, that much is obvious.

old hand
old hand

Also from the same page referencing non evil uses:
" This semi-precious stone was carved for jewelry and decorative housewares and was hard enough to wear well. It was often used for sculpting figurines (including the magic onyx dog)."
"There were "nine secrets" that could be enchanted to become an ioun stone and onyx was one of them. Physical contact with onyx helped reduce complications and pain during childbirth."
"Onyx was a common stone among the drow, a gem worn by drow of average station, albeit they used only black ones."

There are positive and negative things associated with it, much like symbols and gemstones in the real world. In both the real world and in the FR there will be people who turn into raving lunatics at the sight of something they find offensive or bad, but many more will just ignore something like this because they don't know for sure why the person is wearing it.

Shadowheart's attire choices should perhaps be modified a bit so she has less of the "suspicious looking black circle thingys" but I still believe that most people would just ignore her or steer clear if they expected her to be bad rather than confront her over her choices. For our characters there should be some sort of unbiased information given about Shar when we first meet Shadowheart and more if we pass a religion check, this would help those who are unfamiliar with the lore.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Zarna
"Onyx was a common stone among the drow, a gem worn by drow of average station, albeit they used only black ones."

They are eeeeeeeeeevil. Chaotic Evil, to be precise.

veteran
veteran
The onus is not on me to prove that onyx jewelry should be seen and recognized by everyone as a symbol of Shar.

Still waiting for your proof. Jewellery made of onxy and cut into perfectly circular, flat, black discs and displayed in pride of place (such as the centre of and otherwise unadorned circlet) on the person is, in the context of the forgotten realms, a clearly symbolic choice. This is supported by the various lore that has been cited by a few people here.

It's been mentioned that onxy is generally thought of as a dark stone, or one of ill fortune by suspicious folks, and that jewellery that features it is similarly mistrusted. It's a stone that is known to be favoured by several dark gods, and their worshippers. As such, the prominent display of it in jewellery was very likely to draw attention and call suspicion onto you.

If you're disputing that lore, as cited and references already, then you're going to have to provide some evidence or proof if you want to be taken seriously.

You attempted to dispute that by implying that there was a lot of onxy jewellery lying around as standard in modules all over the place: this is not true. If you want to maintain that it is, you'll need to provide some evidence or proof if you want to be taken seriously. The evidence and lore contra to your claim has already been provided - it's your turn.

old hand
old hand

Not denying that most Drow are evil but the act of wearing the stone seems more to me that they just like the way it looks

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
oct 2021, strawmanning, gaslighting? no. i'm done with you. You're not here to argue in good faith, that much is obvious.

I'm not here to argue at all, but I assure you that I disagree with you in good faith.

As for October, I've been reading these forums on a nearly daily basis since about Patch 3, but I only joined in October because I was confused about Patch 6 not updating on Stadia, and I wanted to ask if there was an ETA.

I don't know why it's so odd that someone might disagree with you on this subject? I feel like my point of view is pretty basic, normal.

As Zarna says:

" This semi-precious stone was carved for jewelry and decorative housewares and was hard enough to wear well. It was often used for sculpting figurines (including the magic onyx dog)."
"There were "nine secrets" that could be enchanted to become an ioun stone and onyx was one of them. Physical contact with onyx helped reduce complications and pain during childbirth."

There are positive and negative things associated with it, much like symbols and gemstones in the real world.

...for some reason, it seems like there are people who don't want to acknowledge the positive things associated with onyx.

Shrug. I don't know. Just my opinion.

veteran
veteran
Not denying that most Drow are evil but the act of wearing the stone seems more to me that they just like the way it looks

Given the date on the source reference, the comment is more likely relating to the supposition (admittedly not a fair one these days), that they are lolth worshippers - within Drow society at least, Lolth worship is fairly absolute, and onxy is a stone that Lolth identifies with as well - you won't find many non-lolth worshipping drow openly wearing onxy, generally speaking.

old hand
old hand

Same deal with spiders, come to think of it: association. In and of themselves, spiders - like onyx - aren't technically evil, but between the two there's such a common association with manifest evil that you can expect most folks to at least keep others indulging in related imagery at arm's length. Overall, there's more bad than good when it comes to onyx (especially in certain contexts).

"Unenchanted onyx was believed to cause bad luck when worn or carried. Elminster has confirmed this suspicion."
"The lesser drow deity Vhaeraun was known to occasionally send onyx to show his favour or disfavour to his followers."
"Similarly, black onyx was sacred to the Chultan demigod Eshowdow, and he valued unholy items made of it."
"It was a common tale that when Shar stepped on Toril, she left onyx stones as her tracks."

How many breads have you eaten in your life?

Regardless of that answer, the problems are...
Onyx that isn't enchanted but is fashioned into jewelry wouldn't be worn for long because the jewelry would cause their wearers bad luck.
It's not likely that many pieces of onyx are enchanted.
That leaves:
Those who wear onyx because of their deity.
Those who wear it because it's enchanted.

Now, if I'm correct, Shadowheart is wearing onyx that isn't enchanted, and she's a cleric.
So, the most likely conclusion is that she's wearing onyx because of a deity.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 23/10/21 04:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
...it's your turn.

The idea that onyx is not presented as jewelry all throughout the history of DnD (and specifically within Forgotten Realms) is patently silly.

Associating it with evil and assuming everyone in the setting associates it with evil (despite the mention above about how it reduces the complications and pains of childbirth) is ... well, I'm happy for people to think what they will about that.

We could talk about treasure tables in Myth Drannor if we want and find onyx jewelry there. We could point to the Onyx of the Richest Wort, which was an enchanted necklace that boosted luck. But really, at this point, it feels ridiculous. Arguing that onyx isn't used commonly as jewelry is like arguing that feet don't walk. I might as well be banging my head against the wall.

So, again. Thank you for your interpretation. You think I'm wrong. I think you're wrong. I think that about says it all.

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard