Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#795615 23/10/21 03:40 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Ok. I don't know why... Maybe it's all the talk about Shadowheart, but suddenly this is really bothering me.

Why are there SO many cringe elements in this game, like bad puns almost?

Her name is Shadowheart because she's a servant of Shar, goddess of shadows

His name is Gale, because he has a tempest of magic raging within him.

His name is Wyll, because he's survived by submitting his will to a demon.

Kagha is called a snake by like everyone and she conveniently has a snake as a companion.

Druids tell people numerous times to behave or you'll feel their claws, because they can wild shape into animals.

Bad puns about the Hells.

I don't know. I think I just took a step back and thought, what corny D&D names. Shadowheart sounds like a Native American name, liked Dances with Wolves. Gale sounds like Gail, a woman's name but is literally a wind or storm. Couldn't they have come up with better names and have a bit less emphasis on the "That snake has replaced our leader" bit?

enthusiast
enthusiast
I still think Larian is less making a good game but trying to create a twitch / youtube meme machine / creation tool.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Her name is Shadowheart because she's a servant of Shar, goddess of shadows

On-the-nose names such as "Shadowheart" for a servant of evil do not bother me in the slightest, because the practice is an old one as far as the fantasy genre goes.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Here's another one:

I care about our lives, our futures," says Rolan endlessly to his two tiefling companions.

Evil path, grove fight, during Zevlor's speech. "We won't let them take our lives, our children, our futures."

Like he was quoting some random guy in the camp in his inspiration speech? Ugh! Couldn't they come up with something better? That line from Rolan drives me nuts.

But yes. These are minor things. It's a great game.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I still think Larian is less making a good game but trying to create a twitch / youtube meme machine / creation tool.

To be frank, I don't want a "good game"...I want a good (or better) Forgotten Realms game.

veteran
veteran
The name Shadowheart feels heavy handed to me (although I'm used to it now), and the snake drum is beaten a bit too hard with Kagha, but I don't mind the rest so much.

The druids talking about showing their claws makes sense, I think. It's an active threat, basically saying, push me and I'll turn into a bear and rip you up. I don't think of that as a pun so much as a very real threat.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Like he was quoting some random guy in the camp in his inspiration speech? Ugh! Couldn't they come up with something better? That line from Rolan drives me nuts.

But yes. These are minor things. It's a great game.

Mine is Aradin's "Form a line" like if he was talking to an army of 2 soldiers... It is ridiculous.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/10/21 06:28 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
"Form a Line!" Then immediately in the same cutscene, a moment later, rush forward, breaking said formation.

Though, personally, I blame the writers for this, and the frequent repetition of exhausted cliches, rather than the characters perpetrating them.

addict
addict
What we really need is a writing overhaul.

R
old hand
old hand
R
Originally Posted by Niara
"Form a Line!" Then immediately in the same cutscene, a moment later, rush forward, breaking said formation.

Though, personally, I blame the writers for this, and the frequent repetition of exhausted cliches, rather than the characters perpetrating them.

To be fair, it was probably going to be a melee lineup front but Larian failed to show it.

veteran
veteran
From the listed Shadowheart is the only one who take my eye ...
But since i see her as typical teenager, who wants nothing more than to be center of attention, just so she can openly complain about being center of attention ... its seemed fitting.

But there is lot of errors about her ...
I mean she is supossed to be on "secret mission" for her "secret goddess" bcs as she say "secrecy is everything for Sharite" ... yet she keep bitching on Selune, she keeps talking about how secret and important her mission is, she chooses the weirdest name on Faerun with direct link to her goddess, and she WEARS HER FUCKING SYMBOL ON FOREHEAD! -_-

I mean i dont know how it works in Belgia ...
But in Czech if we "try to keep secret" we usualy avoid the topic as much as we can. :-/
Instead mentioning it in every occasion, just to theatricaly say "i cant tell you anything, its a secret".

Originally Posted by Niara

I allways thought that he and the other meele guy was "forming a line" in front of their Bow lady. O_o

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/10/21 07:14 AM.

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand

That makes sense.
"Shadowheart" is hopefully probably a last name or someone else's last name, and players won't learn the first name until later.
Maybe after she gets her memories back.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 23/10/21 07:49 AM.
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
"Shadowheart" is hopefully probably a last name or someone else's last name, and players won't learn the first name until later.

I got the impression that Shadowheart is her designate nickname for the mission because her memory wipe included any relevent information like her real name.

Banned
Banned
Dunno, man. I remember playing patch 2 and by far the cringiest things were the companions' banters, way more eyebrow raising than any given name. That at the time i was also playing DA:O didn't make 'em any favors.

Having said that though, the name Shadowheart is admittedly some edgelord shit.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I allways thought that he and the other meele guy was "forming a line" in front of their Bow lady. O_o

A line with 2 characters is not a line...

"Hold your position" "tight formation" "[archername], stay behind us". Anything but not "form a line" lol

Last edited by Maximuuus; 23/10/21 08:30 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox

I got the impression that Shadowheart is her designate nickname for the mission because her memory wipe included any relevent information like her real name.

I'm thinking that as well.

veteran
veteran

Surely if you are on a secret mission for the Church of Shar, you wouldn't present yourself to every stranger you meet by your ominous codename. That's my problem with her. She's supposed to divert attention away from herself and her secret mission but she's doing the exact opposite. The whole "my name is Shadowheart and I have dark secrets I can't tell you" act is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Think of the dramatic reveal they could have created later down the line after she had masterfully been fooling everyone. It would have been
Yoshimo times a hundred,
but the writers just blew it completely. Although at this point I'm pretty sure the big reveal is that she's actually
a brainwashed Selunite and the player gets to choose between Shar and Selune,
but that doesn't really salvage the poor presentation in the beginning. And it's probably lame like this because she's an origin character. The origin system takes the edge off these characters without giving anything in return for those who want to create their own character in a D&D game.

Last edited by 1varangian; 23/10/21 09:49 AM.
Originally Posted by 1varangian

Surely if you are on a secret mission for the Church of Shar, you wouldn't present yourself to every stranger you meet by your ominous codename. That's my problem with her. She's supposed to divert attention away from herself and her secret mission but she's doing the exact opposite. The whole "my name is Shadowheart and I have dark secrets I can't tell you" act is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Think of the dramatic reveal they could have created later down the line after she had masterfully been fooling everyone. It would have been
Yoshimo times a hundred,
but the writers just blew it completely. Although at this point I'm pretty sure the big reveal is that she's actually
a brainwashed Selunite and the player gets to choose between Shar and Selune,
but that doesn't really salvage the poor presentation in the beginning. And it's probably lame like this because she's an origin character. The origin system takes the edge off these characters without giving anything in return for those who want to create their own character in a D&D game.

Yeah.
She doesn't really seem like a follower of Shar, especially one with an important mission, considering how she seems to talk a lot and approve of doing good things.

stranger
stranger

Operation: SHADOWHEART

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard