Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by TheBalzan
This is a computerised version of DnD.

The narrator is the DM.

You can't mute the DM

Keep her voiced, I love her interjections.

You've clearly never had a game of DnD devolve into a pillow fight

But jokes aside, the narration is still delivered in text if you mute the sound.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dexai
Originally Posted by TheBalzan
This is a computerised version of DnD.

The narrator is the DM.

You can't mute the DM

Keep her voiced, I love her interjections.

You've clearly never had a game of DnD devolve into a pillow fight

But jokes aside, the narration is still delivered in text if you mute the sound.

This^. And the fact that it is converted to a digitally visual media format controlled by a machine able to handle writing way faster than a human hand makes it perfectly able to mute the DM because now we don't need wait for the DM to write everything down with pen and paper :P

veteran
veteran
I think if they disentangled the DM-perspective narration from the Illithid-influenced interjections, and stopped conflating them, that would go a long way.

- Yes, Dm narration is important for helping to set a scene and set tone.
- No, that sultry bedroom voice, or vaguely condescending honeyed tone is not always appropriate... in fact it's very often not, at all. I don't like it, at all.... and in the actual romantic scenes, it feels like an intrusion, to me.

- No, a DM should NEVER tell a player character how they feel (emotionally; it is their job to give you sensory feedback, of course) or what they think. EVER.

- Yes, we are being influenced (or something is attempting to influence us, at least); attempting to make us think and feel certain things, or make certain decisions.
- This needs to be CLEAR, at least at the DM-to-Player level, which is where the DM operates, that it is an outside influence. Flag these thoughts and feelings as being strange, or as being not quite our own, and, ideally, give us a chance to define our actually emotional reactions to such things.

- Separate the Voice-in-out-head, from the DM narrator; they are and should be two distinct things, and conflating them just makes the entire situation come off poorly, in my opinion.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Malady can whisper anything she wants to me any time of day. Please and thank you!

W
stranger
stranger
W
The idea that a 'Narrator' would be a 'character' in the game is absurd.
There is no reason, either RP~wise, or BG~wise, that the narrator needs to be a character in-game.

I am excessively happy that you chose the female standard for a narrator, and even moreso, that you chose one who did such a good job as 'Malady' in DOS:2.
She did an exceptional job, and it is to her credit that she was recognized for her VA talent, and able to be the narrator for BG3.

I do however, respect those whom want voiceless narration. It is a choice, to be sure, one that is going to bring confusion onto the MC and their party as if it is silenced there will be no 'amplifying information' about their situation, but you know, Larian, some people just either want to go in blind or they just want to be surprised, so I am giving a +1 to a 'toggle' for the narrator in options.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Keep the narrator. I personally like it, but make an option to turn it off and read text.

N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Dungeons & dragons needs a dungeon master. I feel like the narrator is taking the role of the dungeon master to explain things to players. I think the narrator should stay.

P
stranger
stranger
P
I prefer the voice over. I feel like meaning is sometimes muddied in text, so I like to have a voice there to make things clearer.

I'm all for a toggle though. I'm not sure why that would be a problem.

D
D
I like the narrator voice. But why not allow to turn it off for the haters? Should be easy to implement (or mod, in the worst case scenario).

P
stranger
stranger
P
There is a MOD to turn off the Narrator, leaving just the subtitles, but yes I think just should just be a simple toggle in the audio menu.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Fisher
An option to mute the narrator would be absolutely fine.

Personally, I'd prefer the narrator be kept, but the lines be limited to objective observations rather than subjective feelings being forced on the PC (barring exceptions where it makes sense, e.g. mind control and the like). I'm fine with having things described to me (that's what a GM, i.e. the narrator, would be doing in an actual game of D&D), but not how I feel about them.

I should never be told I pity a creature, or that I am disgusted by it, and so on.

+1 to this.

old hand
old hand
Necro thread but glad to say this went no where. Another thread asking to take away content rofl, sad.

Last edited by fallenj; 12/10/23 06:30 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko
I am personally biased on the matter. I played DOS 2 to the death so having Malady narrate BG 3, it's pretty awesome if you ask me.

I love Malady too except for the way she pronounces plaque, it's plark not plack.
Not sure where she's going with that because she's usually pretty good.

Originally Posted by JandK
Originally Posted by Waltc
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that in a colossal work like BG3 we might even do away with the classical narration completely and not miss it!

I would miss it.
Same here.

#JusticeForAstarion
I love the narrator.

But as many have pointed out, OP is asking for a mute option. His title was a little aggressive which made it sound like he wanted to "remove" or "kill" the narrator, but I have 0 issue with there being the option to mute.

Being that I've played D&D for well over a decade, having someone commentate as my DM was highly immersive for me. I felt like I was playing D&D and it was fun!

But I completely understand that not being for everyone and considering everyone DM's differently, I'm sure that for other D&D players, the narrator does the opposite for them.

#JusticeForAstarion
addict
addict
NOBODY is saying to get rid of the narrator. NOBODY is saying she is awful.

We are asking for OPTIONS to either turn off or MUTE the Narrator for immersion sake for some players. And believe it or not, some people actually likes to read.
OPTIONS.
Something totally lacking in this game. And it is actually getting worst.

A simple volume slider would take 1/100th the time to implement than this half baked mirror content.

Why is this bothering everyone? (I think it's the title of this thread that is a bit to harsh).

I guess we need a MOD for that too??

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 13/10/23 02:12 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Waltc
I was delighted with the earlier builds of the game--prior to the latest patches--in which the game narrator could either be heard or be muted entirely, which I found to be the superior option--the ideal way to approach it. By far. The narrator's voice is for me a huge distraction and a break in the immersion of the game. Her voice and diction are fine, and my objection has nothing to do with the quality of the narration at all.

The problem with the narrator voiced with no option to mute is that the voice, her voice, belongs to no one in this game--at least so far. The voice does belong, however, to a voice actress who provided very nice voice acting characterizations in the earlier D:OS games, but not in BG3. Accordingly, hearing this voice pop up from nowhere from a character who does not exist in the game is very, very disconcerting. It's almost like being doused with ice water, rudely...;)

So, please, return the narrator's audio thread in the game to player control, allowing the player to adjust the volume of the narration, or mute it entirely, if desired! I find the game flows much more smoothly when narration is absent audibly, and we see only the subtitle text for narration. Not hearing it is a blessing...;)

[You guys had it exactly right the first time--and if it ain't broke, don't fix!]

This game is really shaping up!

I am biased because I love Milly Tyler and listen to her Twitch channel while she and Jay play Bg3. I also think she has been an incredibly good choice as narrator as she brings a more serious tone to this game.

However, that's not unreasonable to ask for a mute for the narrator. I assume you still want to see the text on the screen because she does indeed convey important information.

Blackheifer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard