Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Maximuuus
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I allways thought that he and the other meele guy was "forming a line" in front of their Bow lady. O_o

A line with 2 characters is not a line...

"Hold your position" "tight formation" "[archername], stay behind us". Anything but not "form a line" lol

Aradin can be forgiven for this. He has PTSD after losing his group of adventurers. They could have “form[ed] a line”… but alas the goblins they stumbled upon reduced their numbers.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem
I still think Larian is less making a good game but trying to create a twitch / youtube meme machine / creation tool.

To be frank, I don't want a "good game"...I want a good (or better) Forgotten Realms game.

Originally Posted by IrenicusBG3
What we really need is a writing overhaul.
You are all so right.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by JandK
The name Shadowheart feels heavy handed to me (although I'm used to it now), and the snake drum is beaten a bit too hard with Kagha, but I don't mind the rest so much.

Yeah, this. Wyll is a real name and Gale totally feels like it could be a real name (but maybe I'm biased coming from a culture where names like Wolf, Bear, Eagle, Path and Stone -- or in my own case Staff -- are common), they are just fine. Shadowheart is the only one who feels too much to me. The worst part is that the writers don't seem to realise just how too much it is judging from the dialogue options we get about it. I want the option to straight out burst into laughter when she introduces herself and mock her.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
old hand
old hand
Admittedly, exceptions aside, anyone TRYING to engage in clandestine activity among most Neutral and all Good-aligned folk is foolish to outright state their name as "Shadowheart" to everyone within earshot, but as an otherwise standard fantasy bad-guy name? Nah...this is a classic trope.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
FYI, Gale is unisex name - just like Lindsay, Ashley, Billy/Billie, Jesse/Jessie, Riley, Bobby/Bobbi etc.

Depending on location and time period, the popularity of the name's used for the different genders tend to flip flop.

D
addict
addict
D
I allways thought that he and the other meele guy was "forming a line" in front of their Bow lady. O_o

"Hold your position" "tight formation" "[archername], stay behind us". Anything but not "form a line" lol

Technically, you only need two people (points) to form a line. But in context, I agree with you.

Last edited by dwig; 23/10/21 04:47 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by organichilimango

Aradin can be forgiven for this. He has PTSD after losing his group of adventurers. They could have “form[ed] a line”… but alas the goblins they stumbled upon reduced their numbers.

I agree. I mean, I don't know if he has PTSD, but I agree that he's used to giving orders to more people and it's apparent that they've taken casualties.

That said...

I find it strange that they leave the grove as three people, and then when I see them again across the bridge (just before the Blighted Village) there are still three of them, but with some casualties there on the ground, clearly people they've lost. So what happened? They went to the goblin camp, lost people, fled back to the grove, left the grove, somehow picked up more people?, then lost those extra people? I feel like it's not entirely smooth here, like it would be better if those new people they lost were with them at the gate, so we could see them alive and thus maybe give their death a touch more gravitas.

old hand
old hand
The people on the bridge is there regardless of whether the three leave the grove or stay. They're either supposed to be unrelated people or that's where the original ambush took place.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dexai
The people on the bridge is there regardless of whether the three leave the grove or stay. They're either supposed to be unrelated people or that's where the original ambush took place.

Hmm, okay. I can accept that. In my games, they almost always leave the grove, so I rarely get a chance to see the scene otherwise.

veteran
veteran

While i agree ...

We should also concider that they were under attack, so Aradin probably shouted first order he gave every time, without thinking about proper wording behind it ... so, personaly im fine with that honestly.

//Edit:
Also ...
- Hold positions is completely different order, that would mean nobody should move instead of meele people forward and ranged people stay on place.
- Tight formation is also something different, since he obviously wanted to "form a line" that would keep archer safe ... therefore, logicaly, archer should keep her distance from them and therefore should not be in tight formation ... and its easier to yell "form a line" than "you come forward with me, you stay behind us".
- [archername], stay behind us ... that would work, but you gave no order for your meele companion you need to move forward ... also its aproximately twice as long as "form a line" (count the syllables, not the letters)

So ... basicaly he gave the best order he could ...
May seem little ridiculous since he dont have enough man to preform it effectively, that much is true ... but hey give him a break, he tryed his best. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 23/10/21 06:04 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
I though "Gale" was a use-name as wizards like to conceal their true-names to be safe.

Possibly a nickname from someone else who thought the young wizard was a bit of a windbag. Possiblr self-referenced in the "there's a gust of weave about you..." line

C
addict
addict
C
I mean i dont know how it works in Belgia ...
But in Czech if we "try to keep secret" we usualy avoid the topic as much as we can. :-/

That's some top-shelf snark right there. Well done!

C
addict
addict
C

That's more or less what my take's been. They got routed at the goblin camp, and then followed as they fled. The bodies by the bridge are the comrades who they lost in a skirmish as part of their retreat to the grove. When we encounter Aradin there, it's his party's first opportunity to visit their dead.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Gale uses the words tempest, breeze, storm, etc all the time. It is a bit heavy handed. But I honestly think it is all basically a shoutout to Dorothy Gale from the Wizard of Oz.

If he gets ruby slippers at some point, I won’t be surprised.

Last edited by timebean; 24/10/21 02:33 AM.
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8

That's more or less what my take's been. They got routed at the goblin camp, and then followed as they fled. The bodies by the bridge are the comrades who they lost in a skirmish as part of their retreat to the grove. When we encounter Aradin there, it's his party's first opportunity to visit their dead.

Depending on your choices, Aradin and his crew will actually be at that bridge examining the dead. You can have a chat with him about it. So yeah, definitely where his crew had their final fight.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by GM4Him
Depending on your choices, Aradin and his crew will actually be at that bridge examining the dead. You can have a chat with him about it. So yeah, definitely where his crew had their final fight.

I guess what's weird about that scene to me is that they usually leave the grove immediately in my games. Which means I spend a lot of time in the grove, and then I do the Harper area, and then I go into the caves to deal with the goblins and statues, and then I learn about the true souls, and then I eventually get around to crossing the bridge...

...at which point I see Aradin and his crew again. This time Aradin is kneeling by these dead bodies, and I'm thinking they must be fresh bodies, not rotting corpses, you know? Because it's been so long. I figured Aradin would've had a chance to pay his respect, bury them if need be, and be on his way if these deaths weren't recent.

So I just kind of assumed that the fight had just played out right before I got there.

I can see that I'm wrong now that you've pointed it out, but to me that means the timing feels off. I'm not sure it's a big enough problem for me to complain about, though.

Originally Posted by organichilimango
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
"Shadowheart" is hopefully probably a last name or someone else's last name, and players won't learn the first name until later.
Maybe after she gets her memories back.

I got the impression that Shadowheart is her designate nickname for the mission because her memory wipe included any relevent information like her real name.

Operation: SHADOWHEART

More like:
Operation: Shadowsteal
Team Leader: Shadowhead
Team Medic: Shadowheart
Team Sniper: Shadoweye
Team Muscle: Shadowhand
Team Hacker: Shadowbrain

veteran
veteran

While i agree ...

We should also concider that they were under attack, so Aradin probably shouted first order he gave every time, without thinking about proper wording behind it ... so, personaly im fine with that honestly.

//Edit:
Also ...
- Hold positions is completely different order, that would mean nobody should move instead of meele people forward and ranged people stay on place.
- Tight formation is also something different, since he obviously wanted to "form a line" that would keep archer safe ... therefore, logicaly, archer should keep her distance from them and therefore should not be in tight formation ... and its easier to yell "form a line" than "you come forward with me, you stay behind us".
- [archername], stay behind us ... that would work, but you gave no order for your meele companion you need to move forward ... also its aproximately twice as long as "form a line" (count the syllables, not the letters)

So ... basicaly he gave the best order he could ...
May seem little ridiculous since he dont have enough man to preform it effectively, that much is true ... but hey give him a break, he tryed his best. laugh

Meh seriously after the PTSD, here is another theory to explain something that does not make any sense.

Once again like in many threads, when the story of BG3 lack of coherence people are crafting theory in their head to explain what is not possible to explain.

When people have to imagine things in their head for such details... There's really something going wrong.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 24/10/21 06:50 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
What details?
I was just comenting your own suggestions for "better comands" from wich actualy none make any sence. :P

You mean "all those deep details" that he obviously didnt think much about exact grammar logic in his comand, when he had drolling bloodthirsty goblins litteraly few metters behind his ass? O_o
Yeah ... sooooo many detail i had to create myself. laugh

And also yes, those litteraly 3 words (Form a Line) was indeed "the story of BG3 lacking of coherence" ... -_- laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/10/21 08:07 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Meh seriously after the PTSD, here is another theory to explain something that does not make any sense.

Once again like in many threads, when the story of BG3 lack of coherence people are crafting theory in their head to explain what is not possible to explain.

When people have to imagine things in their head for such details... There's really something going wrong.

It makes perfect sense that he's used to giving orders to more people. This isn't bending over backwards mental gymnastics.

If anything, I feel like people are bending over backwards trying to find reasons to hate.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard