Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
I would like to see is a complete and detailed set of options to satisfy as many players as there are. (balance is not a concern, this is not a MMO)

A small list I would like to see:

1. Larian house rules vs DND RAW rules
- turn on/off "surfaces"
- turn on/off splashes from arrows/spells
- turn on/off special weapon attacks
- turn on/off attack bonus from height
- toggle on/off the potion drinking as bonus action
- toggle on/off hiding as bonus action
- toggle on/off the shove attack as bonus action

2. Difficulty
- during character creation, apply point buy or 3d6 rolls
- allow optional player death situations (immediate death or unconscious, etc)
- increasing difficulty should be according to DND rules (CR) not just by simply increasing HP/Damage by %
- allow party size modification
- allow "ironman mode"
- turn on/off "story mode"
- turn on/off "teleportation nodes"
- toggle on/off NPC HP numbers (instead of exact HP numbers, just indicated full health, injured, heavily injured, etc)
- toggle on/off dice rolls messages (especially the failed perception)

3. Micromanagement
- toggle on/off the food required for long rest
- toggle on/off arrows/bolts
- toggle on/off spell components : spell focus, somatic(free hand) and ingredients...

I sincerely hope that the basic game will allow to change these parameters instead of relying on 3rd party mods.

Originally Posted by Lumign
- turn on/off "surfaces"

Wouldn't this make a lot of spells, like Grease, useless?

I think that an option to not have party members (including the player) die at all and to only have the game end if every party member was unconscious, would be nice.

I sincerely hope that the basic game will allow to change these parameters instead of relying on 3rd party mods.

I agree.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 25/10/21 05:39 AM.
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
- turn on/off "surfaces"

Ah, oopsy...

You know I wasn't talking about spells like Grease or Web. smile

Originally Posted by EliasIncarnation
- turn on/off "surfaces"

Ah, oopsy...

You know I wasn't talking about spells like Grease or Web. smile

Yeah.

addict
addict
Even though there is a lot here I see implausible for Larian to do now since they already come so far in the development, and they are Larian, I do agree with some and do not see it as an overly huge amount of extra work(do note though that I don't work with coding so don't actually know how much work each change would need):

- turn on/off "surfaces"
This would require them to remove said surfaces that are already coded into the areas. Rather I would see this as an option to use the RAW implementation of spells. For example grease flammable or not. Chromatic orb with or without surfaces etc. Can only speak for myself here but I'm not necessarily against the use of surfaces, I just feel they should be up to the player to create strategically . Ex: Instead of chromatic orb:lightning creating a water puddle, I should have to cast create water where I see fit and then follow it up with a lightning spell to get the same effect. This would require two different versions of each spell Larian decided to change but since this is my number one pet grieve I think it's worth it. As for class changes I'm split. Don't like sorcs getting so much power at clvl 3 already but like some the changes they did with ranger.

I guess this is already covered in my comments above

- turn on/off special weapon attacks
Easy fix I guess

- turn on/off attack bonus from height
Considering it took them a year to change this I'm not sure they would be willing to give us options. But should be a an easy fix I guess.

- toggle on/off the potion drinking as bonus action
- toggle on/off the shove attack as bonus action
Easy fix I guess to all three. But, for the sake of Rogues dignity and as an apology for the atrocities they have submitted that class through so far, Hide as a bonus action should be hard coded to rogues(and other classes according to raw)only.

2. Difficulty
- during character creation, apply point buy or 3d6 rolls
I believe this has already been confirmed to come

Easy fix I guess but kinda takes away the risk of dying imo :P

- increasing difficulty should be according to DND rules (CR) not just by simply increasing HP/Damage by %
AGREE!!!

- allow party size modification
They seem quite iron willed on this not happening though

- allow "ironman mode"
Sure, why not

Not sure what you mean by this? Like story mode being the easiest difficulty? Or skipping the party/camp monologues?

- turn on/off "teleportation nodes"
Easy fix I guess

- toggle on/off NPC HP numbers (instead of exact HP numbers, just indicated full health, injured, heavily injured, etc)
Easy fix I guess

- toggle on/off dice rolls messages (especially the failed perception)
AGREE!!!

All this said though, I'm still a firm believer of "Less is more" (in general. I won't back down from demanding a fleshed out wild surges table) and hold on to the saying "those that try to please everyone, often discover that they didn't please anyone". Different difficulties are given but instead of making this game a mix match of DnD and DOS, they should from the very start, have defined their target audience more precise than "people who like turn based crpgs"

Last edited by PrivateRaccoon; 25/10/21 07:22 AM.
L
Lumign Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
L
Originally Posted by PrivateRaccoon
Even though there is a lot here I see implausible for Larian to do now since they already come so far in the development, and they are Larian, I do agree with some and do not see it as an overly huge amount of extra work(do note though that I don't work with coding so don't actually know how much work each change would need):

- turn on/off "surfaces"
This would require them to remove said surfaces that are already coded into the areas. Rather I would see this as an option to use the RAW implementation of spells. For example grease flammable or not. Chromatic orb with or without surfaces etc. Can only speak for myself here but I'm not necessarily against the use of surfaces, I just feel they should be up to the player to create strategically . Ex: Instead of chromatic orb:lightning creating a water puddle, I should have to cast create water where I see fit and then follow it up with a lightning spell to get the same effect. This would require two different versions of each spell Larian decided to change but since this is my number one pet grieve I think it's worth it. As for class changes I'm split. Don't like sorcs getting so much power at clvl 3 already but like some the changes they did with ranger.

I was meaning exactly that. smile

Easy fix I guess to all three. But, for the sake of Rogues dignity and as an apology for the atrocities they have submitted that class through so far, Hide as a bonus action should be hard coded to rogues(and other classes according to raw)only.

Yes. Ofc, Rogues should get special treatment.

Not sure what you mean by this? Like story mode being the easiest difficulty? Or skipping the party/camp monologues?

Extremely easy mode for ppl who are interested in the story/dialogues and not combats

veteran
veteran
Yes I agree, OP. I too am waiting to see what gameplay and difficulty options settings we get because those will be crucial to my ultimate decision about playing this game.

O
journeyman
journeyman
O
I have been advocating this from the very first iterration of the game, it's the obious way to go to satisfy as many different playstyles as possible.
it's the equiliant of having the players choose what kind of GM theyy want to run their game.

Link Copied to Clipboard