Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#797060 28/10/21 04:25 AM
GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The sneaking sniping has to go. I had Lae'zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart trigger the Bullette fight. Game glitched and my MC didn't go with them.

So, I snuck up with my sorcerer and just endlessly pegged the Bullette with Firebolt until it dies. My companions kept him in frozen combat status while I just slowly dwindled him down and killed him.

When one member triggers combat, everyone needs to enter combat.

addict
addict
Yes I agree - whenever I try to spilt my party up to be tactical it never quite goes as I anticipated…
Might be I’m just doing it wrong by I still wait my turn and then work out i actually have to interrupt so to speak to get others involved …likely I just need more practice

veteran
veteran
Sorry, but, different walks of lives, different initial reactions...

Pegging Bullette Endlessly ... just endlessly pegged the bullette

That word means something very different to me, than I suspect it means to you, and it made me smirk very mightily.

Originally Posted by Niara
Sorry, but, different walks of lives, different initial reactions...

Pegging Bullette Endlessly ... just endlessly pegged the bullette

That word means something very different to me, than I suspect it means to you, and it made me smirk very mightily.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly laugh

F
addict
addict
F
Question is: is this an additional tactical option that can / should be counterbalanced maybe (which is what I would prefer, but I'm really strongly on the "player agency" side in about 99% of questions) or is this unintended?

Last edited by Firesong; 28/10/21 09:04 AM.

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
veteran
veteran
There is obviously bug in progress ...
Since you should have enter combat after first Fireball ...

But you never manage to force combat to everyone once anyone in party enters it ... can you imagine the mess it would cause in multiplayer? laugh

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by GM4Him
The sneaking sniping has to go. I had Lae'zel, Astarion, and Shadowheart trigger the Bullette fight. Game glitched and my MC didn't go with them.

So, I snuck up with my sorcerer and just endlessly pegged the Bullette with Firebolt until it dies. My companions kept him in frozen combat status while I just slowly dwindled him down and killed him.

When one member triggers combat, everyone needs to enter combat.
That is weird. It has seemed better to me lately in that once someone hits they are most of the time pulled into combat. What I am afraid of is that they will "fix" this and then completely screw stealth players by removing the only way to create an ambush. I am not a fan of how easy it is to cheese stealth combat, but given a choice between how it is now and not having any way to ambush then I will pick how it is now. I can always stand up out of stealth if it does this random glitch, an occasional immersion breaking instance is better than each combat being one.

I'm curious how you could firebolt the bulette without getting tossed into the combat?
That's most definitely a bug.
Your MC should have gotten one free attack and then added to the initiative order

old hand
old hand
I have had it occasionally happen when my character passes a stealth check to remain hidden. Since the last update I haven't seen this nearly as much, but I did have one instance where I had my party spread out around the goblin camp and was able to make multiple sneak attacks with one character on the the one enemy in that area without being pulled into combat.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Right. But that's not good. It is like a cheat. My party locks an enemy I'm combat and I can roam the whole map, sneak around behind them, and so forth without triggering combat? Here's a cheat strat. Send a familiar to trigger combat and leave it there. Then sneak around and do whatever you want because that enemy is frozen in time. Ah, a new familiar magic never before heard of; the ability to freeze enemies in time. 😁

C
addict
addict
C
Right. But that's not good. It is like a cheat. My party locks an enemy I'm combat and I can roam the whole map, sneak around behind them, and so forth without triggering combat? Here's a cheat strat. Send a familiar to trigger combat and leave it there. Then sneak around and do whatever you want because that enemy is frozen in time. Ah, a new familiar magic never before heard of; the ability to freeze enemies in time. 😁

Honestly, I think this is as good an argument as one could make for RTWP. once you've got some characters in turn based because of combat or dialog, and others free to roam, your system probably isn't working as intended

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
That's not legit. Solasta does it just fine. One person triggers combat, the whole world enters turn-based mode regardless of distance. Why? Because that's how D&D works. Time slows down for combat. Time doesn't stay realtime for some but turn-based for others.

Larian just needs to implement this as well. If one character on the other side of the board triggers combat, all characters are in combat. Period.

old hand
old hand
How does Solasta work ambushes?

I wonder if there is a way they could add queued actions here. It would need to only be something that could be done out of combat obviously, but if they added this then they could do what you want without ruining stealth tactics.

veteran
veteran
It would be fair if once combat is engaged you create "circle" around your enemies ... as "combat zone" ... not sure how big tho, i would say something between size your spells can reach and double that amount, wich should be if i remember corectly 18-36m/60-120f.
Everyone in that zone should roll initiative, and should get into forced turn based ... yet i still believe that they should have enhanced movement and unlimited actions and bonus actions, until they break stealth ... since they loose their first turn, so it should be outweighted somehow. :-/

And it should CERTAINLY be clearly marked on the ground so anyone who enter is certainly warned in advance.

Obviously anyone who attack someone, or simply break stealth by any means, should join combat as it is.
But that is how thigs allready are, i still believe that you were able to keep attacking Bulette without entering combat was bug.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 28/10/21 01:48 PM.

GM4Him Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I figure the main reason for the current system is multiplayer. If you are roaming with Shadowheart but the other player is elsewhere roaming with Gale (just throwing things out there), Player 1 gets engaged and is stuck in a fight while Player 2 can still roam the map without having to suddenly be dropped into combat mode moving 30 feet at a time with 2 separate characters.

But, the point is that breaks the system. Player 1 can literally trigger the entire fight at the goblin camp, and all the enemies are frozen in time while Player 2 can drop in behind them all and sneak into the goblin base, kill all the bosses and waltz right back out all while Player 1 is still sitting there with the entire goblin camp frozen in time.

That's a rough example, but that's my point. If you enter Turn-Based mode, the whole world should enter Turn-Based mode. If Player 2 has to wait for Player 1 to complete an entire combat, then that's just how it is. That's how it would work in a tabletop session which is why DM's try to encourage players to stay together. It's boring waiting for other players to finish solo combat, but you both chose to split up, so you face the consequences of said action.

In Solasta, it's just like this except it is only 1 player. If one character triggers combat, all characters, no matter where they are on the map, enter combat.

veteran
veteran
That's how it would work in a tabletop session which is why DM's try to encourage players to stay together. It's boring waiting for other players to finish solo combat, but you both chose to split up, so you face the consequences of said action.
I gues it depends on DM ... but when our group split and then decided to join them on combat, our DM simply told us to roll initiative and let us join right next round. o_O

veteran
veteran
[sarcasm]
But... but.. but... you don't have to use it! Don't force your well functioning stealth system on everyone!
[/sarcasm]

Yeah, combat bubble should be wider and include everyone - stealthed or not. I think it is alright for character far away to be able to trek to the combat encounter though - it will be helpful in coop game, but even in singleplayer, I bet the only time you will have a chracter far far away, is when you loose him through toilet chain controls.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Wormerine
[sarcasm]
But... but.. but... you don't have to use it! Don't force your well functioning stealth system on everyone!
[/sarcasm]

Yeah, combat bubble should be wider and include everyone - stealthed or not. I think it is alright for character far away to be able to trek to the combat encounter though - it will be helpful in coop game, but even in singleplayer, I bet the only time you will have a chracter far far away, is when you loose him through toilet chain controls.

Maybe something like this could work:

On combat, everybody enters, it's only reasonable.

Before combat, in turn based (manually), a way to issue orders, then have them carried out at once. Since they have (the poorly named) simultaneous action in combat for party members who are adjacent in initiative order, is really just a sight improvement on that

veteran
veteran
So..don't sit there pegging it until it dies? do you have to be forced to play "fairly" for it to be fun for you?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
So..don't sit there pegging it until it dies? do you have to be forced to play "fairly" for it to be fun for you?
The bigger problem is that stealth is busted.

There is a staggering mechanics the players are supposed not use for "fair" engagement, simple because Larian due to weird intentions fundamentally brokes everything. You try to play with any system and the game falls apart... unless it's actual DnD ruleset, in which case AI will should "screw you" and break it for you on their turn #concentration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard