Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 46 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 45 46
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Ragitsu
Originally Posted by Alurvelve
Is this where I sign on the dotted line in agreement?
Yep. Please, use a pen.
Why nobody told me that own blood is optional???

Elf blood is also acceptable, but it must come from either the signee or a willing donor.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Kallark
The half elves faces are actually my favorite ones, so if they changed that, they could just put those faces for humans, since I don’t like the current faces for humans, that’s why I keep creating half elves.

Ah. Is your avatar supposed to be a Half-Elf?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Slippery Catfish
Astarion's master Cazador looks suspiciously elf-like, but he's got facial hair - a little goatee, but still something. Elves don't grow that at all, and even at a stretch Drow males usually just grow sideburns.

Once upon a time, due to an artist's error, drow males were briefly shown to sport rather fierce mustaches.

[Linked Image from taxidermicowlbear.weebly.com]

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Goldberry
I don't feel the need to see my features represented in a non-human folk from a fantasy land. Elves are not supposed to be human.

That's part of the fun/experience, yes. Elves are like that old leather jacket you favor: well-established and comfortable.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Caelir
They just went with the PHB/Sword Coast Guide or? You have options to make a High Elf, as Wood Elf and a Drow. And High Elves that look like either a Moon Elf or a Sun Elf (Wood and Wild Elf don't seem to be different in 5e anymore) in terms of skin, hair and eye colors.

The game generally seems lacking non-visual options and background information for your own character, and in comparison to what they have been doing for the companions. But visually I think you have all the options to make all the current major elf subraces in Forgotten Realms. Mechanically there is not difference between Moon and Sun Elves anyway.

Both Sun Elves and Moon Elves are technically classified as "High Elves" in some editions of D&D, but I prefer an actual separation between the two during character creation (e.g., showing "Sun Elf" or "Moon Elf" up-front on the character sheet) with an entry describing how they are both part of the "High Elves" despite their differences.

I agree, I just meant that in this case they are just following 5e. In the end it's part of the generally lack of customization for your own character. I really enjoy this game though, just that part is sadly lacking in my view. And on top of that, I find the visual representation of the elves not great. : )

old hand
old hand
They just went with the PHB/Sword Coast Guide or? You have options to make a High Elf, as Wood Elf and a Drow. And High Elves that look like either a Moon Elf or a Sun Elf (Wood and Wild Elf don't seem to be different in 5e anymore) in terms of skin, hair and eye colors.

The game generally seems lacking non-visual options and background information for your own character, and in comparison to what they have been doing for the companions. But visually I think you have all the options to make all the current major elf subraces in Forgotten Realms. Mechanically there is not difference between Moon and Sun Elves anyway.

Both Sun Elves and Moon Elves are technically classified as "High Elves" in some editions of D&D, but I prefer an actual separation between the two during character creation (e.g., showing "Sun Elf" or "Moon Elf" up-front on the character sheet) with an entry describing how they are both part of the "High Elves" despite their differences.

I agree, I just meant that in this case they are just following 5e. In the end it's part of the generally lack of customization for your own character. I really enjoy this game though, just that part is sadly lacking in my view. And on top of that, I find the visual representation of the elves not great. : )

Myself, I live for the nuance, the small details and the adherence to long-established lore. I can't simply be content with "It's a decent game"; I desire a solid Forgotten Realms game that is unabashed to be in accordance with the collective works that came long before.

addict
addict
I just want elves to look like elves, not humans with pointy ears.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Imora DalSyn

Greetings. Please, take a seat (any seat) and partake of our hazelnut pie and nectar juice.

Dez Offline
addict
addict

Greetings. Please, take a seat (any seat) and partake of our hazelnut pie and nectar juice.

I demand a reaction/like system for these kinds of comments... :<

Hoot hoot, stranger! Fairly new to CRPGs, but I tried my best to provide some feedback regardless! <3 Read it here: My Open Letter to Larian
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Argonaut
Absolutely based.

It does my heart good to see such a sound argument backed up by evidence from all major sources, in this case 5e official material and artwork and descriptions from FRCS. And there is not much that I could add past my total support for the return to source in more way than one. I would like to acknowledge that Larian may have had noble intentions but the reality is that the changes made are not producing the results they had desired or the effects that they had hoped for and there is no shame in that. I don't believe the humanization of elves has done anything other than take away something magical and intriguing from the high fantasy genre in every dimension.

In other words: their level of geekiness was not sufficiently geeky cool.

Dez #797641 30/10/21 10:59 AM
old hand
old hand
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Dez

I demand a reaction/like system for these kinds of comments... :<

Thanks. Incidentally, if you played an elf in my campaign, I would expect you to give your best effort.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by deadsanta
modern super-aryan elves of film.

Funnily enough, Moon Elves, Wood Elves, Winged Elves, Aquatic Elves and Dark Elves all defy the "Aryan elf" stereotype. Even Sun Elves defy it to an extent...they possess bronze skin and do not possess blue eyes.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Vortex138
i will throw my $.02 here and agree with the elves not looking quite elven. The characteristics of an elf is angular features, almond shaped eyes, and a thin, elegant build. They are supposed to look almost fragile, even the fighters that rely more on dexterity than strength for their attacks. An elf will build strength, but never look like they large muscles. Kind of like getting wiry as opposed to muscular. In D&D, on average, they are slightly shorter than humans. Males being around 5'6", where females will be get to be around 5'4". Eyes tend to be very light or bright colors, mostly greens, blues, or gold. Very little rounding to the features, more sharpness. Anyway, just trying to help.

Perfect, perfect, perfect.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Goldberry
Hello[...]

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

cool

A
addict
addict
A
Jaheira's BG2 face is awful, whoever photoshopped that tilted the head but did not adjust the face features, with the result that they are misaligned. One eye is at a different angle then the other and the nasal bridge moved to the left. I'd not rather have any heads like that in BG3. I've never understood why they've changed her BG1 portrait, it fit a druid/frighter.

Aerie's eyes are also at different angles, but at least her nose is in place.

Last edited by ash elemental; 06/11/21 12:06 PM.
veteran
veteran
I was not a fan of the BG2 portrait art. I found the color palettes garish and the figures rather poorly drawn. I would typically substitute the BG1 portrait art for Jaheira and for all the continuation companion characters who carried over into BG2. It just had better art direction and better shops for my taste.

As a Half-Elf I thought the BG1 Jaheira portrait felt more appropriate, and left more open to interpretation.

I'd also use the Icewind Dale portraits, since I found them more appealing. There is a redux of basically every BG1 NPC in IWD1. The MB peeps who did the artwork basically made it to work with BG too and assumed they'd be interchangeable. For a Half-Elf I always liked this one from IWD. Even though she's decked out more like a mage than a fighter druid, sometimes Jaheria would sport that look, mainly if I wanted a little green in the portrait lineup, since it looked a bit like the BG1 portrait. Like it was her regular gear when she's not out helping nature take the life she gave, but just sort of hanging out and watching the plants grow...

Or like this if she was just going for the plate and club clobberfest since it matched the avatar pretty well and clubs looked like maces anyway in BG2 lol

Still I think that Elves should have more looks available than just the LOTR rendition. Adding Elf ears to human heads is relatively simple. Creating a unique template for Elves called "Ancient" or "Traditional" or "Classic" I'm sure would find many fans. BG1 did not go that direction, but BG1 also had custom portraits, so you could make Xan look more like this...

than this...

Or get an Aerie going more like...

Weirdly, IWD seemed to make their Half Elves a bit more Elven than the Elves, similar to what we see in BG3. Hehe can't win em all. But they could do better I think in BG3, offering more variety in both directions.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 06/11/21 12:54 PM.
old hand
old hand
Problematic or not, no one is going to be confusing Aerie and Baldur's Gate 2's Jaheira for humans with pointy ears smile.

A
addict
addict
A
That's because Jaheira looks like a drunken doppelganger. laugh
Now BG2's Viconia on the other hand could be almost mistaken for a human... wink

Last edited by ash elemental; 06/11/21 05:31 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by ash elemental
That's because Jaheira looks like a drunken doppelganger. laugh
Now BG2's Viconia on the other hand could be almost mistaken for a human... wink

One Elf in Baldur's Gate 2 versus virtually every Elf/Half-Elf in Baldur's Gate? That's an improvement.

S
SereneNight
Unregistered
SereneNight
Unregistered
S
My feeling is I do prefer more Tolkien style elves, some of the d&d ones kinda went to alien for me, but I think the half-elf heads should be added to the roster of elven options. Finding a good-looking male face for the Dream character amongst the male drow heads was sort of hard, they were too wizened for my preference.

Page 29 of 46 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 45 46

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard