Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Give us some kind of roadmap or overview for what things are leftovers from DOS2 (that will get fixed) and what you implemented consciously. But first lets talk things that are done well:

Class changes to bring them up to date with a more modern 5e experience. Ranger was praised since the start and the sorcerer is a good start, too. These things are great, and you should keep it.

But now a few sins.

The conditions. Larian, my blessed dudes and dudettes. Why? Frightened taking over my turn and making me run around like a headless chicken? A little reminder what it does in 5e:

A frightened creature has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight. The creature can't willingly move closer to the source of its fear.
See the difference?

Lets have another very bad boy in here: being prone. Automatically losing concentration? Losing my turn also? Tsk tsk tsk... lets have another look:

A prone creature's only movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition. The creature has disadvantage on attack rolls. An attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the attack roll has disadvantage.

Also: standing up takes just half my speed, and not my whole turn. Also also: we should be able to drop prone on purpose. It has advantages.

Other sins:

Homebrewed spells. Again. Whats going on here? We all were happy that the puddle fiesta was seemingly mostly over and now we get chromatic orb with new weird mechanics? I have to be honest: that was a let down. Please Larian, it was fun in DOS2 to play with ground effects, but this is 5e. One shock spell is not going to provide electricty in a puddle for 2 rounds. Things like flaming sphere being a creature on initiative is just weird and wrong (and hopefully just a WIP).

Like I said in the start, those things are concerns for the community since day 1 and it would be so so so helpful to just have some slight insight or roadmap for what is ahead. I understand you have to deal with a lot of rewriting the engine to fit 5e, but trust me: it will be worth it. Don't try to hack it. If you could just tell us your intended vision we could give way better feedback in this EA. Things like reactions for example are a thing with concerns since EA launched. And we have simply no idea if you guys are happy with the hacked version or what your plans are.

This post comes with the best intentions as I see BG3 as a game with the potential to be genre defining for years to come. Lets make it one of the games of the decade!

veteran
veteran
I'd also like a "known issues" list and some kind of roadmap.
We even don't know if the UI is done or not at all.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
veteran
veteran
+1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1! +1!

If my comments bother you, there is nothing easier than telling me to stop.
I mean ... I won't ... but it's easy to say. wink
enthusiast
enthusiast
Roadmap meaning as a protocoll about and listing which areas ingame have been further optimized and changed:
"Im in for that. Please it would help us to see whats done allready", like.

But in defense of Larian Studios.
This Roadmap or kind of allready exist in development but not optimized and worked on for easier use to present to us Community guys.
So this would be worth another Joblisting in the Community Section and overall ther would allways be more communication allready to this new guy to prep us this Roadmap.
Meaning the overall speed of developing BG3 will be slowed down a bit more.

I guess i can live without a Roadmap now and hope for a less disturbed development process smile

OP Offline
The roadmap I'm talking about would really be not a huge thing. And now that there are a few 100 people working in the company also not a real dent in any developement time.

We just need a rough overview of:

1. things that will be implemented in the furture (from obvious things like classes to maybe exciting new systems)
2. things that are currently in game but not in their intended version
3. things that are in game and in their intended version

The important things are 2. and 3.

It would make generating and evaluating feedback so much easier. Why would we waste time on stuff in category 2? Makes more sense to just wait until the intended version comes along. Then we can give feedback if a category 2 item becomes category 3.

Originally Posted by TheHero
Roadmap meaning as a protocoll about and listing which areas ingame have been further optimized and changed:
"Im in for that. Please it would help us to see whats done allready", like.

But in defense of Larian Studios.
This Roadmap or kind of allready exist in development but not optimized and worked on for easier use to present to us Community guys.
So this would be worth another Joblisting in the Community Section and overall ther would allways be more communication allready to this new guy to prep us this Roadmap.
Meaning the overall speed of developing BG3 will be slowed down a bit more.

I guess i can live without a Roadmap now and hope for a less disturbed development process smile

If the speed of developing Baldur's Gate III would be slowed down by giving a roadmap for everyone to see, wouldn't that apply to everything that they're doing?
Updates, news of the updates, playthroughs of the updates, update changelogs, etc.

Also, I doubt that it would stall development for them to have someone make or use an already existing roadmap and problem recognition list and give updates on it when a substantial update is released.

Right now, it doesn't feel like they're actually involving players that much in the development of the game, and I think that those things would help people to see what effect their feedback and requests are having on the game's development, if any at all.
I was looking at the changelog for Patch 6, and for almost all of it I was wondering, "Who asked for these changes and additions?", because I'd never seen those requests here or on Steam.
For example, getting blood and dirt on characters.
I've seen [i]two[/] character customization topics on Steam that mentioned "dirt" in a list, but I've never seen anyone say, "Hey, can we have our characters get blood and dirt on them as they explore and battle?".
I'm not saying it's a bad feature or anything, but I didn't really see many things that have been requested, greatly or otherwise, on there.

Aside from bug fixes, there were like...four things that I might've seen requested that were on the list.
More content, bonuses after re-roll, stack splitting in camp and high ground balancing.

Last edited by EliasIncarnation; 26/10/21 06:01 PM.
O
journeyman
journeyman
O
+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
Im not sure but i dont think its easy for a developre to take ideas from specific people from the forums to implement in the Game and then acknowledging that its from another guy not working at Larian.
Could maybe lead to sueing LArian for stolen ideas maybe?
So in my view of things what we do here by writing and giving feedback etc.
It will be scanned by either Comuntiy Managers or an algorythm to pick up interesting ideas.
Then all those interessting or good feedback goes into the meetings in gamedevelopment.
Ther they discuss if its worthwhile to invest in this or that direction. to commit some development and thereby money into it.

Yes im sure it works something like that.
Having then a Roadmap extra made is surely another full time salary for someone to get to make it all transparent for us.
Im not sure if its so important for the community.
We allready like the game in several aspects and the worse aspects need to or have been ironed out allready.

PS: If you find some grammar errors or such, hold on to it. They are free giveaways!

Last edited by TheHero; 28/10/21 11:47 AM.
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by TheHero
Could maybe lead to sueing LArian for stolen ideas maybe

Have you looked at the terms we agree to when joining the forum? They have total IP rights to 100% of the content we post, images, fanfic, everything

That said I would certainly not expect any particular anything in the game to be credited to any individual, under pretty much any circumstance

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by <Redacted>
<Redacted>
More like roadmap would be meaningless announcement, that fans could have in Larian face screaming "You liked to us!?". Has there been any roadmap that actually proved true?

Last edited by Raze; 16/03/22 08:35 AM. Reason: deleted forum account
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
+100 to a roadmap. If production time is an issue, maybe put less effort on the panels and larping...

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Fully agreed.

addict
addict
Roadmap is a great idea.

G
enthusiast
enthusiast
G
Roadmap is post-launch stuff, we're in hype stage.

Link Copied to Clipboard